Finally here. At150mlx is set up and wow

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by coltlacey1, Jul 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coltlacey1

coltlacey1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well the new stylus showed up today. Very pleased. This cart is impressive. Sounds great so far. Started out with something very simple not complex at all. Went with Bob Dylans' greatest hits. The channel separation is great! Very impressed! Running at 1.5g currently and the antiskate is at about .5 on my sl1400. it sounds fantastic so far. Haven't fiddled with it too much yet though. This thing tracks very well. To be honest I was surprised at how small the needle actually was. Now I get the microline side of things. Anyone else have suggestions on tracking force to test out? I heard about 1.2g is a happy spot for this cart so I think I might try that here in a little bit. Just felt like sharing. Thanks.

[​IMG] this is what I upgraded from

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. coltlacey1

Well sadly it still isn't cutting through the most poppy record I have but it is much quieter than before and man the music sounds good. It is an old pressing of pink Floyd - wish you were here. I don't think it was treated well. It has popped and clicked since I got it. Have tried tons on cleaning methods. During the louder bits of music I can't hear the pops and clicks but when it quiets way down I can definitely hear them. Might just be a crappy pressing. The vinyl to the naked eye is near flawless now since ibhave cleaned it real well

3. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

"Wish You Were Here" is probably the toughest record I know to play quietly... if that one sounds good you're doing well. Good luck with the cart, it'll get even better!

Linto likes this.
  4. coltlacey1

It sound better for sure but still poppy during the quiet portions. Hoping after it gets used more that one record will sound better. Right now I am on Van Halen - 1984 and it sounds absolutely fantastic.

c-eling likes this.
  5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Congrats on your new cart! I've been rocking this puppy for several years now, and it hasn't failed me yet. It tracks like a champ! It tracks everything I throw at it. It even cleanly tracked a few damaged 45s I was ready to throw away.

Yeah, that stylus is tiny, isn't it? It's almost microscopic! I track it at 1.4 grams.

redmetalmoose and c-eling like this.
  6. coltlacey1

Thanks! Yes. Very pleased to own this one. It is intense to listen to for sure. I plan on lowering down the tracking force a bit once it breaks in a touch. How about your antiskate?

7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Don't lower the tracking force. This type of stylus should not be tracked too light or too heavy. I don't use an antiskate on my Music Hall 5.

8. coltlacey1

Ah I gotcha. I had read somewhere that people were finding a happy spot at 1.25g or something like that. That's where the idea came from

Jim in Houston likes this.
  9. Budysr

Budysr Forum Resident

I also track my 150 at 1.4. I wouldn't go any lower than 1.25 if I was you. I believe I read somewhere that about 1.25 to 1.5 was the "zone" Experiment and let your ears decide for you

Grant, c-eling and coltlacey1 like this.
  10. coltlacey1

yeah I had heard the same thing. thanks for that. so far it is working very very well. I really enjoy it.

11. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

1.4/1.5 for mine, currently 1.5, I have had nice results cutting through pops and crackles with this type of styli, but some are so damaged...

coltlacey1 likes this.
  12. coltlacey1

yep, the 1.5 seems pretty good to me for right now. still working in these new Russian tubes in the amp and now working the stylus so the sound should do nothing but get better.

I think damaged is the case for my pink Floyd. was purchased second hand at a record store and man it sounded nasty with all that noise. now atleast I can enjoy it to an extent. hoping it magically cleans itself haha.

c-eling likes this.
  13. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

Tracking my 150 at 1.5 and it seems to really like it there, though I might dial back to 1.4 once I get some more hours on it.

coltlacey1 and c-eling like this.
  14. coltlacey1

how far in are you?

15. c-eling

Give it a few hours, the suspension will eventually loosen up, I had some issues off the bat with small outer warps but now it sails through them, Enjoy your new cart! This will be my styli from now on, I like it's signature and being able to mate it on a 120 cart made the price just right :)

coltlacey1 likes this.
  16. coltlacey1

heck yeah. I think I will be continuing with this one aswell!

17. c-eling

My first US press Wall is the same way, looks beautiful, noisy as hell, oh well, I blame it on the oil shortage for the crappy pressings around that time

coltlacey1 likes this.
  18. coltlacey1

ok well maybe is is actually just the pressing. ill have to get another copy. this has always been a favorite of mine.

19. jimbutsu

Probably 10-15 hours. I haven't had it very long. I went as low capacitance as I could and it still felt bright, probably because my stage has 12ax7s that apparently introduce quite a bit. I rolled in some vintage Mullards, which were too creamy for my old SuperOM40, and it's a happy place.

I do notice just a hair of sibilance once in a while (which could also just be me because I'm so persnickety about it) - might this mellow out as the cart breaks in?

20. coltlacey1

From what I have heard, yes. I'm running the Russian version of the 6n2 tubes and it sounds great. The highs it hits are fantastic. Listened for about four hours yesterday and it didn't seem too bright for me. I have not tried the 12ax7 in my amp yet. I have been pretty happy with these new ones so far. I am four hours in and plan to try and do about 3-4 hours a night after work. I go off hitch here in a few days so I will have two whole weeks to work on breaking it in. Should be interesting.

jimbutsu and c-eling like this.
  21. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

I recently got this cartridge and have it installed on a Jelco 750d arm on a Technics SL1210 turntable. Since there are other owners here - I wonder if I may ask for some advice?

First problem was aligning it. I've tried with one of those "mirrored" protractors. The stylus is so thin, it's almost impossible to see. Anyway, using powerful reading glasses and a magnifying glass, I think it looks about right (without high-tech equipment, that's the best you can hope for, isn't it?), and listening to music there is nothing obviously wrong - no audible distortion etc.

But I'm struggling with the HiFi News test record. There are some tests for setting bias (anti skate).

I know that many cartridges cannot get through the last test, which is quite extreme, but the only way I can get through the test before that is either setting a very high VTF (about 2.0) or having the VTF set to about 1.75 and the bias (anti-skate) set to about 2.5. Otherwise, I get loud buzzing through one speaker.

I was always led to believe that VTF and bias should be set to the same value?

Any advice on what to do here?

22. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Try a little more stylus rake angle (if you can). I had a problem with spitting S's until I raised the back of the tone arm 1/4 inch. The S's cleaned right up.

23. coltlacey1

I set up the cart all based off of sound from well known records. I go for about 1.5g vtf, and maybe .5 antiskate. You actually just reminded me that I didn't set the antiskate last time I realigned. I used a protractor generator to created a protractor based on the arm length I have. It seemed to have made a nice little difference. The last one I used for for a shorter technics arm. Definitely don't run the vtf at 2g. And the antiskate is way too high. For thia cart it shouldnt be anywhere near that. .5 is usually just fine. Make sure the arm is level with the platter, make sure the platter is level, and retest.

24. coltlacey1

25. jimbutsu

So at higher than parallel?
    Right now I have the arm pretty much parallel with the platter, but I am able to raise it easily enough - might be worth a shot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.