Finally, I'll be able to have my listening room

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Starwanderer, Dec 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member Thread Starter

An update

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've drawn a more accurate outline and I must admit I'm a bit disappointed about the final shape of my room. Well, I hope I can get a decent sound out of it.

2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I think you can get a good sound out of the room. You will need room treatment, rugs, etc. I would put the speakers either between the doors or the wall to the right of the doors.

Very few of us have ideal rooms, at least you have a dedicated room.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. Do you have an iPhone? If so, the $20 US app from Studio Six may be helpful in getting your room set up:

Studio Six Digital »

Kristofa and Starwanderer like this.
  4. Starwanderer

Thanks. I had an independent power line for the system built and all the sockets will be on the 3.49 m wall, so the speakers will face the 3.36 m wall. Maybe I rushed a bit when I decided to put all the sockets there.

I think I'll be able to start doing tests at Easter, but definitely I'll need room treatment.

I haven't decided where to put my system yet. I have two options: under the window next to the 3.49 m wall or along the 3.49 m wall behind the speakers.

5. Starwanderer

Yes, I do. Thanks. I'll give it a go ;)

6. Starwanderer

Finally, some more photos of my room ;)

It's not finished yet. Unfortunately, we had lots of unexpected expenses and I'm forced to wait a few months to treat it properly. Anyway, it looks much better than at first :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Well, you got a good start. Some more room treatments and it should be nice.

A long listening session in that chair would have me crippled.:eek:

SandAndGlass, Dave and Clonesteak like this.
  8. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I love your dedicated listening room. You are off to a great start. I just have to say that this chair needs upgrading A.S.A.P.
    I have a recliner in my listening room so if I decide to fall asleep I can.
    Enjoy pitro!!!

9. Starwanderer

10. Starwanderer

I know ;) It's really uncomfortable, but I can't afford a better one right now :sweating:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

You need to treat the wall behind your listening position FIRST, then hang some drapes to suppress the glass zing from that window. Kudos on the area rug and the wooden floor; both great improvements.

SandAndGlass and Starwanderer like this.
  12. mdelrossi

mdelrossi Forum Resident

looking good:righton:. You might want to try moving the acoustic panels you have around to the first reflection points, and then behind you.
    And Yea, that chair can't be too comfortable:shake:

Starwanderer likes this.
  13. Starwanderer

Hi everybody

It's been a long time since I last posted here and I think it's about time ;)
    I got myself a couch, so I can finally listen to music more comfortably ;) However, I'm still at a loss regarding placing my speakers correctly. I've tried many things but I'm not really satisfied. The thing is, as my room is not a regular shape, I don't know if I should start measuring from the wall to the speakers and forget there are CD racks or start measuring from the CD racks to the speakers. Well, those two recessed areas are driving me crazy because I read this : no side wall openings or recessed areas in the sound triangle.

In addition, I've also read this

Our sound triangle, or the triangle formed with our speakers and listening position as its apexes, must not have anything placed to the left or right of it. The space inside of the sound triangle and surrounding side areas can not have equipment racks, chairs, end tables, lights, ottomans or sofas. Enough examples, you get the idea. This is sacred ground. Any object that creates spurious reflections in this area must go.

Should I get rid of all the CD racks or bookshelves inside my listening room or it's a bit exaggerated? I would really appreciate some advice here :help:

14. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

I'd definitely recommend acoustic panels at the first lateral reflection points. Right now you have a bunch of plastic with sharp edges. I agree with the premise of your quote. Also, don't put highly reflective surfaces (i.e., coffee table/bare floor) on the ground first reflection point either.

My own person room philosophy is to let the room do its job without imparting a strong sonic signature of its own. I don't like "active" rooms. My feeling is that if the recording already has reverb in it (most do), a dry room will preserve it well without overly adding more. So I tend towards neutral and dry. Your mileage may vary.

Here is my room (in progress), the double panels to the left absorb that first reflection point for the right channel, it's mirrored for the left.

[​IMG]
    People will tell you to get a chair with a low back but I have found I like the sound just fine when I'm mostly hearing music arriving from the front.

P.S. Nice ProAcs (I have Anniversarys).

BigGame, Tony-A, Kyhl and 2 others like this.
  15. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I would think the cd racks would help diffuse reflections. Looks great, just keep experimenting with speaker placement. Even very small adjustments make a difference. Enjoy

Kyhl and Starwanderer like this.
  16. Starwanderer

Hi again,

I'm sorry I haven't posted any updates, but I was a bit discouraged when I was told by an acoustic engineer to forget about getting good sound from my room and instead look for another one :cry:
    So, after a few weeks feeling a bit low, I decided to keep to my plan of treating the room so that it souns the best it can. After all, I think I'm lucky to have a room for me :)

As you can see, I finally got the thick curtains to cover my windows. In addition, I contacted GIK Acoustics and they have been very helpful. Following their suggestions, I bought a pair of Free Stand Bass Traps to cover early reflections

FreeStand Bass Trap - GIK Acoustics Europe »

As my next purchase, I'm going to buy a pair of 6a Alpha panels to treat my back wall and try to minimize flutter echoes.

6A Alpha Panel Diffusor / Absorber - GIK Acoustics Europe »

Then, I think I'll buy some panels for the ceiling.

I already have some bass traps for the corners but I've been told GIK monster bass traps are more effective and unlike other bass traps, can absorb 50khz waves. Whether it's just publicity or fact, I don't know.

Well, as you can see my room is taking shape. I still need a ceiling lamp, but I'm waiting until I get the panels for the ceiling ;)
    I also plan on getting another hi-fi rack like the one in the photo to be able to put some bass traps in the right corner

[​IMG]

I'm open to suggestions. I value and appreciate your feedback :)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  17. Starwanderer

18. Starwanderer

19. Starwanderer

20. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I would imagine the sound in there does not suck. Nice job:)

Kristofa and Starwanderer like this.
  21. Starwanderer

It doesn't, but there's a nasty echo I hope I can get rid of when I treat both the front and back walls ;)

Strat-Mangler and Manimal like this.
  22. timind

timind phorum rezident

Check this thread out: Square room speaker setup - go diagonal? »

The gist of it is unconventional speaker placement as a means to good sound in a bad room. I have my system in a square room and after setting my speakers up in a diagonal configuration, I have the best sound I've ever had.

The thing is, if the room is yours to do anything you want, it only takes a bit of time to try. Nothing to lose and much to gain.

If that doesn't work, I highly suggest a large absorption panel behind your seating position.

Manimal and Starwanderer like this.
  23. timind

timind phorum rezident

[​IMG]

This is what it looks like. More roomy than you'd think.

24. Starwanderer

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I don't think I can arrange my system in a diagonal configuration. The two recessed areas in my room are a pain in the neck. Panels for the back wall will be my next purchase, although I've been recommended a combination of diffusion and absorbtion to best deal with the echo.

timind likes this.
  25. rxonmymind

rxonmymind Forum Resident

Wow. Great job. However, keep in mind you'll never have a perfect listening room. Try moving those floor panels directly behind your couch where you sit. I bet that will have a greater impact on music not bouncing back at you as opposed to blocking reflection that's minimal by the shelves. Basically it'll be put to better use & space. Simple heavy curtains over those racks will work.

Good luck.

Manimal and Starwanderer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.