Finally! Iron Maiden BLACK VINYL reissues coming in September... (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Oct 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Looking forward to Iron Maiden Vinyl-reissues-video part #2. It better be about the vinyl-manufactoring.

SeventhGun likes this.
  2. Back 2 Vinyl

Back 2 Vinyl Well-Known Member

I don't know, it could be... I recorded it flat, and didn't do any alterations...

3. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Very true but the cost of return outweighs the cost of the product so they lose both ways. They pay $70 postage to get an unsellable product.

4. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

I can tell you from experience that they don't pay for the full amount of shipping back on an exchange from the US to the UK. I had to swap mine out because of a scratched Killers record and they will reimburse my the equivalent of about $15-$20 for shipping and that is it.

5. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

They offered me 8 pounds something when I told them it would cost more than that they said to send it back and email them the postal receipt and they would reimburse me. The post office said I could refuse it as it was unopened and they would pay when they got it back and no out of pocket expense to me.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  6. Mij Retrac

That is what they offered me too I think, my pounds to dollars conversion is off but yes. Maybe I should complain when I finally send it back and get the huge bill.

7. Machiventa

Machiventa Forum Resident

I wonder if any US retailers will stock the UE pressings? I just logged into the Amazon UK site and it's $29 shipping! Not about to pay over $50 for a potentially bad pressing.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  8. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

I have everything (EU) so far without any bad pressing at all.

9. Mij Retrac

I wish I was that lucky. My Killers was scratched badly.

10. MikeyP

MikeyP Forum Resident

I don't know what's up with Amazon US. I preordered on Sept 25th, and box was supposed to ship on the 27th of Oct. Well, as I mentioned earlier, it didn't ship, and showed out of stock. No email, no info, no nothing.
    Considering I ordered over a month ahead of time, it's total BS.

So, I cancelled the order and re-ordered from Amazon UK. It was $10 dollars cheaper. How in the world that happened i don't know. Makes no sense, but I'll take it.

I also noticed that Amazon US is charging sales tax. When did this start? How can they charge sales tax when it is an out-of-state order? More BS.

11. Mij Retrac

Your state must have passed a law requiring them to charge tax. In my state they did that but it is only because they are building a distribution center here

12. MikeyP

MikeyP Forum Resident

No, we don't have any such law. I purchase online weekly. They are the only vendor who has added tax.

More incentive to use UK. No tax, and cheaper shipping. It's the most backwards thing I have ever seen. Less to ship from UK, then the US. crazy.

13. Mij Retrac

They may have or are going to have a distribution center in your state and if that's the case most states require you to charge tax if you have a business in that state. Trust me they have tried to fight the tax thing but have lost in every state they fought it. They won't charge tax if they don't have to.

MikeyP likes this.
  14. MikeyP

MikeyP Forum Resident

Possibly

15. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

We got the tax added this year as well. It’s only on orders specifically listed as from amazon.com though so anything sold by the marketplace doesn’t have the tax.

Mij Retrac and MikeyP like this.
  16. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

While I'm pleased overall with the reissued LPs, wouldn't it be great if all of these 180 gram reissues coming out in recent years could be as good as the Led Zeppelin or King Crimson reissues?

Mij Retrac and MikeyP like this.
  17. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Got tired of waiting for the LP box to arrive at Amazon and canceled my order. Instead, I ordered the first three LPs from Bull Moose and the second set from Music Direct (all US pressings). The Music Direct box arrived first, and I'm glad to say I finally have one of the LP reissues spinning on the Traveler.

Piece of Mind looks great. No visible non-fill issues and just a tiny bit of warp (well within the acceptable range). Sounds great too! Clean and not noisy in the least. There's perhaps a touch less bottom end than I'd like, but not a hint of the disappointing muddiness some have reported with some of the other titles. A keeper for sure!

Impressions of Powerslave and LAD to follow tomorrow.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  18. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Funny, I actually thought the bass was improved on POM vs. my US Original - but that's cool...I agree POM sounds great with no muffled or dark sound that some have reported on TNOTB and Killers. I am fairly certain that if you liked POM you will like Powerslave too. Let us know about LAD, I am torn as to whether or not to get that one. I do have it on vinyl but it's not a coveted pressing and I was never impressed by the sonics.

JQ

Mij Retrac likes this.
  19. Mij Retrac

I thought LAD sounds pretty good but the only vinyl version I can compare it to is the PD.

20. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

I encourage you guys to pick up 1st LAD. It's benchmark quality really. Probably the best sounding LP you ever heard :D

21. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Agreed. I'm spinning my original Holland pressing right now, and it's some sweet sounding vinyl! Ill never get tired of hearing this album.

[​IMG]

Cardanken likes this.
  22. metalrules

metalrules Forum Resident

My 2014 EU Live after Death has a V-shaped scratch at the beginning of side 3 that does not skip, but results in a double-pop into the beginning of Hallowed Be Thy Name. I'm mostly very happy with the EU pressings, but this and a light pop at the beginning of the song Killers on that album, that are not quite worth returning overseas are a bummer. I may pick up a couple of the US reissue titles for comparison and in hopes I get one of the good ones.

On a more positive note, I 100% agree with everyone so far that said the 2014 reissues of Piece of Mind and Powerslave sound excellent.

23. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

Correct, one should never ever buy a pic disc to listen to it. They're not made to be played, they are more art/collectors pieces. They might as well not even press the music on them so as to not confuse people.

24. 1973_2fk4

1973_2fk4 Active Member

OT:
    Someone mentioned some live recordings - I love the En Vivo! recording. When it's late and you enjoy a little pot and turn on a song as COMING HOME - which is not that known by many maiden fans - I am blown away. The sound - the lights - fanatastic!

I have (I had a 5.1 system which I sorted out) now a 3.0 System with two big speakers L/R and one good center speaker. This is all I need.

If you own the bluray or whatever, listen to Coming Home - great song!

1973_2fk4

25. 1973_2fk4

1973_2fk4 Active Member

One more:
    We are talkling about which / where pressed records sounds how.
    If the TTIP (Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership) gets reality we will propably have only QRP or one other record plant which can be good or worse but 100% not as much variety as before.
    No more taxes, so all records can be produced in one country and after that shipped to the other site of the world.
    This will be the end of differences and having fun with different record plants...
    No more photos of 100 pressings of Powerslave ;-)
    I hope it will not be this way...

1973_2fk4

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.