Finally! Iron Maiden BLACK VINYL reissues coming in September... (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Oct 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

From Steve Harris garden before he located to the States :laugh:

2. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

HMV stands for His Masters Voice, it's a record chain started in the UK and brought over to Canada. I don't believe they have stores in the US. Because it's British owned we are lucky to get a lot of the European pressings.

MikeyP likes this.
  3. SeventhGun

SeventhGun Forum Resident

Getting a little crowded in the box. Don't really see how two more should fit in there...

4. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

It's possible, i have 8 vinyls in mine, mix of old and new ones :D

5. SeventhGun

5 of them are not 180 grams, which are thicker, naturally.

6. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

I’m sure Riggs has them but Maiden probably doesn’t want to work with him.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  7. SeventhGun

Listening to Live After Death now. I am convinced you guys will be satisfied with that one :)

8. Back 2 Vinyl

Back 2 Vinyl Well-Known Member

I did this video with the audio of Powerslave. This is the US original pressing... please tell me what you think, last video I posted you guys told me it sounded too bright and hot... I really hope the new reissue sounds as good or better than this one...

9. SeventhGun

Sorry, that sounds terrible. Much too hot again and distorted

10. Vinyl Fan 1973

I thought it was common knowledge that the North Amercian powerslave wasn't that great. Canadian Maiden vinyl has always been incredible, except for Powerslave. I hear great things about the Japan press, but that's why I'm hoping for great things next Tuesday, a new improved Powerslave ya!!!!!!

11. Peter Olafson

Peter Olafson New Member

WOW!! That sounds amazing my friend!! Deep and with strength, my walls are going to come down, and on good headphones is a lot better! Your channel is also great. I really hope that the new editions sound as great as this one

Scott222C and Back 2 Vinyl like this.
  12. SeventhGun

Are you serious?

13. Peter Olafson

Peter Olafson New Member

Yes I am, The CD's don't sound as big, this sounds a lot more full, dense and expanded, and this is in youtube, I'm sure it would be more amazing if I was there in person

14. Peter Olafson

Peter Olafson New Member

just compare it to this one... this sounds dull and cold, with no life

15. Nice work, now with the rotating vinyl. :righton:

Not sure if YouTube does some kind of sound alteration, it is possible. It's still a tad on the bright side for me, but it could be the recording. I remember Powerslave to be a tad bright sounding in places. Actually, wouldn't mind a little treble roll-off on that one... ;)

But not as bright as the Japanese TNOTB.

There is quite a bit of inner groove distortion, but that is possibly related to your setup (cartridge etc.).

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
    Mij Retrac likes this.
  16. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

I just hope LAD isn't as bright and lacking in bass as the PD version but I'm guessing it will be.

17. In part 1 of this thread, a couple of people have asked if I could do some more frequency comparisons for S/T and Killers. I will try to accomplish this, but it is a bit of work if you want to do it carefully.

jeffreybh likes this.
  18. That was my thought when I saw the first three in there. I don't want to remove the shrinkwrap on the individual albums (I only open the shrinkwrap on the side to get the record out - if I want to check out the gatefold artwork, I can slide the shrinkwrap off and slide it back on when I'm done).

If you have all eight records in there, it should take care of any warps you might have... ;)

19. Back 2 Vinyl

HAHA!! Well, I guess it's just a matter of taste... but thanks for your input. I think youtube does do something with the audio, it doesn't sound too bright when I recorded it...

20. Back 2 Vinyl

Yeah, I think youtube does do something with the audio, it doesn't sound too bright on my set up...

21. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

It's certainly clear, but it does sound like it's clipping and that your transfer level is too high. This would probably have happened in the transfer, it's not anything to do with how it sounds on your setup. Youtube does degrade sound quality a bit, but they are much better than they used to be (check any video from 2008 for example, they sound pretty muffled). The tricky part sometimes is, it may not visibly clip in the transfer, but the gain or pressing can still make it distort. It's true that the music tends to sound more distorted as you go towards the inside, however.

A lot of vinyl transfers I've found online are plagued by either being clipped or being done so quietly that the low level hum can be heard. Often they're at the wrong speed, or even in mono (the default setting for recording inputs on a computer is mono because it is configured for microphones, which has caught a few people out.). My turntable actually plays things too fast, so I always have to slow the tracks down by 2.5 when doing transfers.

I transferred The Number Of The Beast album and Total Eclipse from vinyl today and it was a marked improvement sonically on the 1998 remastered CD I have. I haven't heard an original CD, but some have mentioned here that they are not as deep sounding as the original vinyl. The album is an original Canadian pressing and the single is a UK one, though they're both the same quality.

I use an Ariston turntable into a Pro-Ject USB transfer box into Audacity, with the gain on the box slightly below halfway up, and Audacity's recording volume at 2/10, which keeps the music dynamic and not clipping whilst pushing low level hum into the background. I try to ensure a good transfer, though there is a real skill, mainly because volume varies wildly and pressings can be naturally distorted no matter what they are. The title track The Number Of The Beast was cut considerably louder than the other tracks on the album, which was surprising.

My rip of the lead single can be heard here:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/hggqlc

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
    Back 2 Vinyl likes this.
  22. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Problem is, either your pickup has the wrong setting or that vinyl is basicly shot! (played to death) a lot of distortion goin on.

Transfer level as onionmaster is talking about could also be the issue here, I dont know the mechanics of it. Never done needledrops myself

Back 2 Vinyl and SeventhGun like this.
  23. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Does Powerslave come with the textured sleeve?

24. Vinyl Fan 1973

Actually I prefer my original CD press over the vinyl. The Canadian Cd sounds fine.

25. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

I don't think you can make a fair assessment from a youtube video !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.