Finally! Iron Maiden BLACK VINYL reissues coming in September... (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Oct 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1973_2fk4

1973_2fk4 Active Member

Hi!

I got my LAD LP tomorrow in the morning hours and listened to side 4, the side which is not on the video or bluray and was recorded in England and not Long Beach Arena. The LP has the booklet as you all know and the sound is really great, I think it sounds better than NOTB or KILLERS. No surface noise - this is really rare with new releases on my turntable - and it is great, I love it.
    What I love, too is the booklet, which guitars, strings, drums, miles of cables. light, speakers and so on they used and the words from Martin Birch about recording a Live album. Great!! Very many Infos I forgot they printed.

Great record(s) - even better than I hoped they are.

The inner gatefold looks a little bit like the KISS ALIVE II gatefold cover... :righton:

CU
    1973_2fk4

xcqn likes this.
  2. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

What? The US and UK used the same stampers, Sterling, by George Marino. Common knowledge I have never, ever heard.

Neilson77 likes this.
  3. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

My local HMV has 20% off all vinyl today.
    I got the box set, and the next three, for the grand total of €103, approximately $130 USD or £81 stg.
    \m/:D\m/

4. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

How does it sound compared to the original? This is the only Maiden I bought on LP back then. :(
    Is POWERSLAVE the textured cover?

5. SeventhGun

SeventhGun Forum Resident

No, flat and shiny like the others.

In this case, I think you can. Even a flac of the recording will sound just as distorted.

Just compared old and new version of Live After Death, the old version is noticably louder.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
    Simon_LDT likes this.
  6. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Ok, old LAD louder.. check!
    But what about tonality? does it sound anything like the original? most importantly does it have that big bass that the old one has? :D

It's incredible hard for me to find LAD in good shape around here so i'm hoping the new one is good.

7. SeventhGun

The old version is slightly more bass-heavy, but not a lot. Aside from that, I did not hear any huge differences

8. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Thats good news!

9. SeventhGun

[​IMG]

Two more to go. How the hell are they supposed to still fit in there without causing ringwear or scratches to the shiny surface?

denesis and kingofstoneage like this.
  10. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I've been on the fence on these. I have the following and I'm trying to decide if I need these reissues
    Iron Maiden - EMI 100 Anniversary
    Killers - USA issue
    TNOTB - EMI 100 Anniversay
    POM - 1st Issue UK and Japanese
    Powerslave - USA and Japanese
    LAD - UK
    SIT - USA
    SSOASS - UK
    NPFTD - USA
    FOTD - USA
    Do you think these would be an upgrade?

11. Spirit Crusher

Piece of Mind looks pretty thick - is it a gatefold?

12. Spirit Crusher

I haven't heard these new ones, but I can't imagine anything could improve upon UK pressings, even some US ones. Somewhere in Time US (UK is the same, I believe) is unbeatable. Same with Powerslave, IMO. Don't fall for the hype! You have some nice pressings here, though I know nothing about the EMI 100 anniversary ones.

13. SeventhGun

Yes it is

14. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

What we are trying to figure out are if some of these can match the originals. I find it hard to beleive antything could match them. The originals have been cut by some of the best in the industry.

If it turns out some of these are equaly good we now have them om 180g mint-copies and thats great.

15. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Thanks, I may just have to pass on these, I'm sure I'll regret it later, just because I'm a completist.

16. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

The org-uk copy came in gatefold and the US didn't if i remember corretly? Think so.

17. SeventhGun

I mainly started buying these because a few of my originals needed an upgrade, and also I'm convinced they will continue with the rest of the albums in the future with another box (or two), so it will be nice to have the entire collection of mint copies.

18. Spirit Crusher

Listen to your heart's desire, of course.

19. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Agree with you! I have a hard time beleiving they could screw up the digital recordings of the 2000->. These will be great!

20. Back 2 Vinyl

Back 2 Vinyl Well-Known Member

Well, thank you guys for your comments and advices... I'll try to fix this audio problem, it's probably the cartridge setting or the way it's recorded... I want to upgrade but the problem is that here in México I don't have many options when I try to find cartridges and they're also very expensive...

21. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Well if playback sounds fine it's probably just the actual transfer to your computer. Levels and so on. If not so and your vinyls seem to distort a lot near the inner-grooves check the cartridge alignment. Carrtridge can still be fine. Check with different vinyls.

22. kingofstoneage

kingofstoneage Forum Resident

Got my POM and PS today!
    Very good pressings!
    They sound nearly perfect to me! Way better than the CD Remasters from 98.
    And a bit punchier than my 2-CD Sets from 1995!

23. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Great! Can't wait to hear them.
    Seems like more possitive reviews for the second batch.

24. SeventhGun

A word on the singles: Beautifully done, the artwork looks really fantastic and they sound really great as well

Vinyl Fan 1973 and 808_state like this.
  25. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

Sending my URP NOTB pressing back to amazon for replacment and Killers back forever. Apparently Killers is "under review" by Amazon due to issues and it doesn't say when they will have it in stock again. I had the same problem with pops and one almost sounded like it would kill my needle. If the NOTB replacement is not a vast improvement I am sending it back again as well and washing my hands of URP. They can just quit the business as far as I am concerned and let real companies like RTI or QRP do the work instead. I also think I am way back in the queue for my UK/Optimal pressings of the remaining five so it may be December before I see them...in the meantime I will suffer through this and other recent acquisitions...

[​IMG]

Stuevts and xcqn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.