Finally! Iron Maiden BLACK VINYL reissues coming in September... (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Oct 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Very true, that price is about right for a VG+ and you have to hope and pray the seller graded it properly. So with that said......enjoy the 2014 Somewhere In Time! :)

2. MadCajun

MadCajun Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to getting the last two in this set, SIT and SSOASS, SSOASS more so as I only have the CD and picture disc from last year's set. A link to my SIT disc, bought back in the day, is below so I'm also looking forward to comparing them. I'm hoping the SIT disc I'm about to get doesn't have the tap drag issue, but if it does I'll order the US version to round out the set.

http://www.discogs.com/Iron-Maiden-Somewhere-In-Time/release/368698

3. Did you order the EU version? If so, it definitely has the tape drag issue, guaranteed. It is on all EU pressings.

4. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Where does that tape drag issue occur? I got EU-pressings here.

5. Approx. 2:45 to 3:00 into the first song on side 2 (Loneliness...).

6. bodicus

bodicus Forum Resident

So I picked up the rest of these reissues over the weekend at an average cost of €15 - winning :) (40% off all vinyl in HMV!!!). So far I`ve listened to POM, SIT & SSOASS. POM is superb - easily better than the original issue imo. Pity about the cover though but not a deal breaker. SIT is ok - I`m sure I heard some weird warble at some point like others have pointed out. Got to check it again but returning a perfectly flat, centred lp for another with probably the same fault seems pointless. SSOASS is a revelation. Gone is the flabby overblown bottom-end and tizzy top. Even with a Clearaudio Titanium playing what was a sealed original pressing there was quite a lot of sibilance. A combination of poor quality vinyl/pressing and a deaf mastering engineer!!! The new edition sounds great. Nice balance which allows the guitars to come through much, much better. Haven`t really paid much attention to the covers but I do recall years ago poring over the SSOASS sleeve looking for hidden messages etc. and felt that the resolution was no where near as good as the original SIT was. I think the comments on how poor the reissue cover looks are a bit exaggerated. Of course I would like absolutely stunning, perfect, better than the original issue reproductions but at €15 per lp I`m not going to complain. All in all, a decent reissue programme at at decent price (even at full price of €22 each).

Juggsnelson, Dusan and Mij Retrac like this.
  7. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

I ended up ordering the singles from TNOTB album, which arrived yesterday. I was initially avoiding them as there were reports that the sound was poor. I really wanted Total Eclipse though so decided to go for it. Anyhow, I think they sound really good to me. The drums and bass sound huge and while the guitars and vocals are a little recessed in the mix, it really does come alive with some cranking. These are the EU versions, so they could be better than the US versions, just like the LP. I haven't got any other versions of these to compare but they sound solid enough to me.

8. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Ok, thanks. Will check that one out later.

9. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

The only complaints about the singles were the surface noise and the warping. I haven't heard anyone complain about the sound.

10. MadCajun

MadCajun Forum Resident

Yea, I have the EU version being delivered today. Well, I'll give it a go if I can get home early enough and check it out.

11. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

When you say POM is better than the original pressing, in what regard? My UK original pressing sounds noticeably different to my 1998 remaster CD. The vinyl sounds "thinner" with not as much impact as the CD. How does it sound compared to the original pressing?

12. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

Im looking at getting Piece of mind and Powerslave. I already have the UK 1st pressings. Can people save me from having to go through these massive threads and tell me if they sound as good or better than the originals sound quality? Thanks.

13. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

Really? I have a UK and US original pressing of Powerage, I think it sounds great, better that the 1998 CD remaster. Hope the new one sounds even better!

14. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

I currently prefer my 2014 US POM to my UK original. The reissue has a more balanced sound, though it has a tick less energy than the original. For Powerslave I prefer my US original to the 2014 reissue, but I'll admit I haven't compared them extensively.

Neilson77 likes this.
  15. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

No point in comparing the 98 remaster CD to the vinyl as it's compressed garbage.

16. bodicus

bodicus Forum Resident

Disclaimer!!!
    When listening to this issue last Sunday (with different speakers to my usual System Audio 1280`s - a pair of my friends prototype/demo floorstanders were used instead). These speakers are more open and detailed than the 1280`s, particularly in the upper-mid/lower-hi frequencies so it`s not a true comparison from memory of how my US copy bought sealed on evilBay sounds. It sounded fine with plenty of detail but could be better in the bottom end if memory serves. It also seemed to suffer from very, very, very slight sibilance and some IGD but overall a perfectly good copy to enjoy.
    The deadwax for this copy is here:
    ST-1-12274 G-7 SRC II CR? Hard to tell if the last four characters are II CR.
    ST-2-12274 G-6 SRC II CR? As above.
    I also have a battered original Irish pressing of it buried somewhere to but it`s so trashed from the 80`s it`s going nowhere near my stylus!
    2014 lp: The reissue just blew me away I must say. I am very wary of reissues these days are so many clowns have jumped on the bandwagon and are selling junk for €20-30 per lp I am always filled with fear and trepidation when playing any new reissue these days. Please don`t be s**t, please don`t be s**t, etc. I simply loved it from start to finish. Bottom end?...Check. Chunky midband?...Check. Sweet, sharp, transparent top end?...Check. It simply rocked and only got slightly congested towards side ends but as my cart is in the Autumn of it`s years I would put some of that congestion down to wear. I imagine on any decent cart with low hours it will sail through this lp with ease. Absolutely recommended. Phew! I think that`s my longest ever post. :crazy:

Spirit Crusher and Neilson77 like this.
  17. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

:laugh:
    This is Piece of Mind you're talking about? So your original isn't a "Bollocks" (in the deadwax) but still - nice to hear such praise from the new re-issues. Thanks!

18. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I found a VG+ this year for $10. Right place, right time. The inner tracks weren't even terribly worn; got a decent needle drop out of it with my Shure/Jico combo.

Spirit Crusher likes this.
  19. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Nice!

20. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

Im surprised you people in the US find it so hard to find good condition original pressings. Here in the UK you can find EX copies of the first 8 albums for £15.

21. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

I've looked for 3 years at record shows, record stores and thrift shops and have only come across 1 album and the guy wanted $30 for a so so copy of Somewhere In Time.

22. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

Yeah, it annoys me when sellers charge more for popular bands such as AC/DC, Maiden etc. on Vinyl!

23. bodicus

bodicus Forum Resident

Yes. I have a "Bollocks" but it`s in pretty poor shape. I`ll root it out and try and find a playable track or two and compare to the 2014.

24. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Same deal here in NJ/NY Tri-State area. Thirty bucks a pop seems to be where the prices start. Discogs, Gemm etc..it's normal to see prices 60 dollars and upward, crazy. Maiden and anything Beatles related seem to give lisence to charge whatever the heck people want. That's why I was so keen on these latest Maiden's to be good and for the most part I am not dissapointed.

metalrules and Mij Retrac like this.
  25. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

Same experience as me: I NEVER see copies that aren't abused looking. I will still look for used copies, but gave up any real hope and bought a bunch of the re-issues.

Mij Retrac likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.