Finally! Iron Maiden BLACK VINYL reissues coming in September... (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Oct 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads-up. If somebody could give a US versus UK vinyl comparision for this album, that would be greatly appreciated.

2. Dr. Metal MD

Other than some early quality control issues, has anybody found any differences in sound quality between the US and UK pressings?

Cheers,

3. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

Yes NOTB sounds much different the UK sounds much better and SIT the UK version has some tape drag and drop out issues that the US version doesn't.

4. Dr. Metal MD

Gotcha. Thanks for the info. Your US copy of Seventh Son sounds good though? How's the surface noise and QC?

I'm pretty frustrated, because this was the one repress I was most looking forward to and it got lost...

5. Mij Retrac

It is your typical URP pressing. It has some surface noise and I had to exchange it once to get a decent pressing. The UK may be a better choice but in my experience I haven't found the pressing quality of the UK ones to be that much if any better.

6. Dr. Metal MD

As long as the surface noise is at a minimum and the sound quality is similar enough to the UK pressing... Pissed Amazon UK doesn't have anymore in stock. People are saying that this reissue sounds phenomenal, too.

7. Dr. Metal MD

Have either of you listened to a US copy of this for comparison?

8. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I just got my UK version a few minutes ago. It was your sound samples that inspired me to do so, so I thank yew! :) I have yet to listen...I will be up late tonight :)

Mij Retrac likes this.
  9. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I have not but since my SIT is scratched and ruined and I was pissed the way I got corner crush on both cuz of the way they shipped them, Amazon UK refunded me for both. I will probably grab one of each at my local bull moose the next few days.
    I have a SIT first press anyway so 3s a charm ? As far as SSOASS is concerned i was happy with the way it sounded and want to grab a URP out of curiosity more than anything. I'll post back if I do grab them.

Bull Moose likes this.
  10. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

My US pressing is one of the nicer of the bunch: dead flat, no marks and minimal surface noise. The sound quality isn't my favorite of the reissue series -- compared to my UK first press, it's a bit dull at both the top and bottom ends and doesn't provide the increased tonal balance I've found in most of the other reissues. Nevertheless, it's a more enjoyable listen than the CD I bought in 1988 (and still have).

I don't have a UK reissue for comparison.

11. Dr. Metal MD

BTW, love your name, love Mastodon.
    Please share with us your comparisons between the URP and Optimal copies if you get the UPR pressings of SIT and SSOASS. I'm praying that I get a good URP copy. Getting my hands on an Optimal copy at this point would be more expensive. It was actually cheaper to buy the Optimal from Amazon UK on release than it was for the URP from Amazon US.

Thanks for the info. As long as the pressing quality is up to scratch (please no scratch...ha) and the sound quality is essentially the same between URP and Optimal of SSOASS, then I'll be a happy camper. I have a US first press that sounds great with a small amount of surface noise. I hope the 180 gram reissue opens up the soundstage even more like the rest of the reissues have compared to my OPs.

Opeth likes this.
  12. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Ok, I listened to my UK pressing of TNOTB last night. Recall, I was one of those "blanket over the speakers" folks in regards to the first copy I received which was a US pressing.

No surprises here if you heard Mij Retrac's sound samples, but there is absolutely no comparison in sound quality between the US and the UK pressings of this album! This is not subtle! There is something seriously wrong with the US, I don't care how loud you crank it up or what EQ adjustments you make, it is dead on arrival. The only tolerable listening experience was through my Grado 225 headphones which makes almost everything sound bright and lively.

The UK by way of comparison sounds nice and open and quite similar to the other reissues in the series like POM and SIT. Had I heard the UK first I TOO would have wondered what the heck people were talking about when they spoke unfavorable about this LP's sound quality.

So once again, special thanks to Mij Retrac for doing the legwork with the samples and bringing awareness to this.

Scott222C, Simon_LDT, Dusan and 4 others like this.
  13. bodicus

bodicus Forum Resident

I think the reissue of SSOASS (UK) kills the original (UK) edition. All boom and tizz on the original - loudness button engaged! Much better balance on the reissue imo. True, it doesn`t sound as `hi-fi` as the original edition but it sure sounds more musical to my ears. The original mastering is the definition of the term `goosed` to me :). Each to his/her own though and as we know from this forum there is really no better/worse, just preferences.

14. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I listened to all my records the last two days (the UK editions) and was mostly pleased. There were a series of very loud pops during "Rime Of the Ancient Mariner", though. Anyone else have this problem? I'm wondering if replacing it will give me the same thing.

15. Bull Moose

Bull Moose Well-Known Member

We got a few complaints about pressing problems with these, but not a lot. Please let us know if your copies aren't perfect so we can replace them. Thanks.

16. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Thanks Bull Moose ! I hate returning records I feel like such a scrub I always apologize when I go to the Salem NH store but they always cool.

17. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

You guys - and the great price;) - made me order the box with the first three albums. Liked Maiden when I was younger but lost track after "SIT". And never revisited them:( The fact that these classic albums received the same treatment as the mono Beatles albums is great. And makes the fact that the Led Zeppelin vinyl remasters and upcoming Kinks releases were cut from digital even more bizarre. If I like the first three I will continue to fill my box. Quality for a great price is always worth supporting:)

18. Mij Retrac

The Beatles and Iron Maiden projects are rarities and the Kinks and Led Zeppelin projects are what are typically done. If they are done well with hi res masters it would be nearly impossible to tell the difference between it and an AAA. It is also a much cheaper and less risky process.

19. Dr. Metal MD

Glad to hear. You haven't happened to hear a US/URP pressing of SSOASS? My UK edition got lost (assumingly so, as it's 8 days past the expected delivery date), and I am having to settle with a URP pressing. I'm wondering if it is worth it for me now to spend that much more (since Amazon UK is now OOS) to get my hands on a UK/Optimal edition.

20. silver.bullet

silver.bullet Forum Resident

oh, i wanted to ask you something since you are here. why aren't you guys ship internationally? online business, i mean...

21. Bull Moose

It's cool. We actually need to know where the problems are.

We are inching toward it. We want to get everything really solid before we take on more territories.

silver.bullet, jimhb and Opeth like this.
  22. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Let me know if you need any info on pressings quality, a lot of people I have asked working in Salem store aren't aware of a lot of pressing flaws that result in returns. Always happy to help a place like Bull Moose. I used to go up to Portsmouth NH from Lowell area 10 years ago when it was the closest one around !

23. Bull Moose

What I'm really trying to track are the albums where a whole batch may be ruined. Those are the times we need to alert the record label so they can have them recut or whatever. Many labels are pretty responsive about this. Others aren't, so we order less of their stuff. There are a couple of titles we no longer carry for this reason.

I'm glad we are closer to you than we used to be.

Juggsnelson and Mij Retrac like this.
  24. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I know but they shouldn't be. And I am not against digital at all. But if these masters are still there why not make an effort?

25. bodicus

bodicus Forum Resident

Good morning Dr. Metal! I haven`t heard a US copy so I can`t advise. Maybe someone who has both could put up some clips for comparison?

PS: Fair dues to Bull Moose. Really cool to see them take an active interest in pressing quality. Most retailers these days couldn`t care less :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.