Finally! Iron Maiden BLACK VINYL reissues coming in September... (Part 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

2. I am still waiting for my US copy of SIT to be delivered to Germany.

3. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

All mine have arrived. Waiting on replacement "Wasted Years" single as mine was scratched to pieces. The ones I have listened to sound great to me and no issues thus far. I ordered them all except LAD as I have an original that I bought back in the day.

4. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I ordered the first set with the box, and all the LP's since excluding "Live Afer Death". My understanding is that the box was supposed to hold them all, but I can barely squeeze the seven LP's into mine. Are people really fitting all eight in that box?

5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The EU box is too small. I think this reissue campaign needs a re-boot supervised by someone who knows the catalog inside and out along with access to the best sounding versions of their releases for comparison purposes. Send applications for the position of Maiden Curator to the attention of Steve Harris and Mgmt.

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  6. MadCajun

MadCajun Forum Resident

All 8 will fit into the US box. I have each of mine in a 2mil cover, it makes sliding in and out easier without scaring the covers.

[​IMG]

PyroMessiah and Dr. Metal MD like this.
  7. agentalbert

Thanks for the picture, MadCajun. I don't plan to get LAD, so I'm okay with my box the way it is, but it seems like it should have been planned better. Maybe it was designed assuming they were all non-gatefolds. But with Piece Of Mind a gatefold, and I presume LAD has to be, it would be extremely tight getting all eight in the EU box.

8. MadCajun

MadCajun Forum Resident

You're welcome. For a brief time I had both box sets and I don't see how all 8 would fit in the EU box without effort and bowing of the box. See the picture below with the US box on the left and the EU box on the right.

[​IMG]

9. agentalbert

Yeah. Clearly different dimmesions. I wonder how that happened. That can't have been intentional.

10. metalrules

metalrules Forum Resident

[​IMG] ... [​IMG]

11. vlds8

vlds8 Forum Resident

After a colossal delay, my EU Optimal Seventh Son arrived, in a smashed box with paper for padding. By this time I was already upset enough at the delay and had ordered a US copy locally. And of course, they both arrived on the same day...allowing me to make a direct comparison immediately. Surprise, surprise - the URP copy sounds much better!!! Maybe I was lucky enough, maybe the stamper on the Optimal was worn, I don't have the time to dig into all the details, but credit given where due. The Optimal record sounds "dead" for lack of a better word. Turning it up did nothing for it. The US one grabbed me right from the start and was good throughout. So there, YMMV, I am happy here. As a matter of fact, other than overall sound, the Optimal record has some bad scratches (due to packaging/transit) on some quiet passages, and is basically unacceptable, so it's going back.

I also prefer the matte cover of the US record to the glossy and shiny EU, though most would probably disagree...

So for now, I'm done with these. Unless we get Brave New World, and then the game begins again :)

12. MadCajun

MadCajun Forum Resident

I only have the EU SSOASS and it sounds pretty kick-ass to me, I'd love to do a head to head with it and the US version. I just got home and my US SIT disk was waiting for me. I don't have time to clean it and play it tonight, but it'll be the first thing I get to when I get home tomorrow night. I'm looking forward to see how it compares with the EU copy I have.

Wes_in_va likes this.
  13. How would you compare the EQ differences between the two? Did the US pressing have more bass and treble? The original pressing has more bass and treble, but I liked the sound of the new EU pressing better than the original, I thought the original sounded a bit boomy. Maybe the new US pressing is closer to the original pressing.

It is interesting to see that the EU and US pressings sound different for many (all?) albums.

14. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Yeah my EU ssoass is amazing and sounds even more incredible cranked. Perfectly flat and centered it's actually perfect in that respect. I did get a US SIT because my EU was scratched and they were out of stock. I don't see much difference honestly. Maybe a little more bottom.

15. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

My EU box arrived...since it only has three albums there is a lot of space in there. Space that should be filled with something. Instead the label just gave this thing a supertight shrinkwrap, creating a lot of unneccesary tension that could bend the box and cause unwanted creases. No idea if I will return it or just ask for a refund...

16. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Had a chance to hear Live After Death. Loud noisy vinyl, terrible mastering job. Total joke.

17. SeventhGun

SeventhGun Forum Resident

Mine is dead quiet, mastered very nicely and is far from a joke.

marcelbr, MadCajun and Mij Retrac like this.
  18. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Then either our standards are different or quality control is a crap shoot.

19. Does this refer to EU or US pressing?

20. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

Do you have a version that sounds better because I don't.

21. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Yes, my CD.

U.S., received from Amazon. Returning it. And I'm not typically picky with warps and surface blemishes.

22. vlds8

vlds8 Forum Resident

It's not so much about EQ, you can clearly tell this is the same EQ/master/cut, but apparently pressing quality is a crapshoot on both sides of the pond. I agree about the "boomy" tonal balance on the original (though I only have a CD to compare) and yes I also prefer the new mastering.

23. FelixR

FelixR Well-Known Member

I purchased the US Live After Death vinyl. I have no other previous copies of this album, though. I have played it twice. My impressions are: 1) quiet surface, very little pops. 2) Relatively flat pressed. 3) Mastering seemed (again, not being able to compare to previous versions) leaning toward the bass side, but the highs/trebles were not completely muffled or attenuated. I got the impression that it was a fine mastering for a live record. I was, probably, expecting it to sound worse than it actually sounds. 4) Cover and insert seemed well done. From all the ones I purchased from this remaster series, it is the one I like (packaging-wise) the best.

I understand that maybe previous CDs (or even LPs) could sound better that this remastered version. I have a slight suspicion that some of the copies are suffering from stamper degradation, not only for this title but other as well. Just a suspicion based on SOME people impressions with the US TNOTB, which for me sucked big time.

SeventhGun likes this.
  24. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

Which CD version do you have. I need to get that version because the CD version I have (the original US version) doesn't sound as good as this vinyl. I also have the picture disc that came out a couple of years ago and this blows that away too.

25. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

It’s the smooth sided case, Atlantis pressing. Have to get the one with matrix ending in -612 AND it has to have the ever so slight green color shift in the artwork.