Finally! Iron Maiden BLACK VINYL reissues coming in September... (Part 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Dec 13, 2014.

1. SeventhGun

SeventhGun Forum Resident

I know how the original EU CD sounds, how the original (mint) EU vinyl sounds, how the 1998 remaster sounds and how the new EU vinyl sounds. That's enough for me to be able to tell that it sounds very good. It's flat, centered, no dents, scratches or anything. There is absolutely no surface noise to make out, not in the beginning before the intro starts, and not during playback either - especially as this is a live heavy metal record.

johnny q likes this.
  2. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Any updates on the SIT issue? Can anyone confirm 100% that the US press doesn't have the tape drag/errors?

3. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

You continue to claim that somehow I *don't* have a noisy pressing?

4. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

I think we are talking two different things.

Mine is noisy with loads of surface noise. This is on a VPI Classic with Linn Adikt cartridge. That alone results in my CD sounding better. If there's something good to listen to under the surface of a garbage pressing then I can't hear it.

Thought I was clear in my initial post.

5. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

You specified in your original post that it was a “terrible mastering”. That’s different from you just having a pressing with too much surface noise.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  6. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Are some not reporting locked grooves? That doesn't relate to mastering / test pressing?

7. vlds8

vlds8 Forum Resident

What is this "tape drag/errors" thing ? Sorry if I missed previous posts. The master is the same, so anything on both pressings should be the same, save for pressing quality.

8. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

It's not. I don't have issues with my US pressing. The US pressing of NOTB is different also.

Simon_LDT likes this.
  9. MadCajun

MadCajun Forum Resident

I started on side 2 of the US SIT I received yesterday and TLOTLDR did NOT have the apparent drag like the EU version I have. Side 2 continues to play ...

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
    Simon_LDT likes this.
  10. Mij Retrac

I haven't heard of any locked grooves, mine doesn't. Also your original post said this
    When you say loud I assume you mean it was mastered loud (less dynamics) especially when you say it was a terrible mastering job. If the vinyl has a lot of surface noise it isn't because of the mastering it is because of the pressing.

11. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Thanks for checking. But how can your copy have it, yet Mij's doesn't? The whole thing seems really strange to me.

12. Mij Retrac

Maybe I just don't know what to listen for. I will listen again. Where is the drag exactly?

13. MadCajun

MadCajun Forum Resident

I think you and I are reporting the same thing about the US SIT album. I don't hear the tape drag on the US version like what is on the EU disk.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  14. Mij Retrac

You may want to correct your earlier post :cop:

15. MadCajun

MadCajun Forum Resident

Great typist I am! Thanks.

Sorry for the confusion all.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  16. metalrules

metalrules Forum Resident

I know others have already confirmed, but I finally received my EU copy, and I can confirm that I hear the tape drag on Loneliness of a Long Distance Runner on the EU pressing, but not on the US pressing. Too bad because the EU record feels thicker, has less surface noise, and looks prettier. At least the US copy came with a poly-lined black inner sleeve. A side benefit of spending time with this Somewhere in Time reissue is that I've really come to appreciate the album. For whatever reason, I wrote it off long ago when Maiden first released it.

Purple, Mij Retrac and Simon_LDT like this.
  17. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

No, I meant loud as in surface noise.

Look - if you want to believe it's perfect go ahead. I've sent mine back.

18. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

OK....so far I've played "Killers" and "Number" from the EU box and think they sound great. Which confuses me after several comments by several people. The next vintage copy of "Number" I come across will come with me because now I feel I want to hear for myself if the remaster does sound worse.

Never seen an original UK pressing but the 1982 German edition is pretty common round here. According to other threads this is supposedly decent.

19. SeventhGun

SeventhGun Forum Resident

No, only thing I claim is that you are the first to report anything like this about this particular release. All other reports from members here have been very positive and none of those specific problems seem to have occured with anybody else here.

johnny q and MadCajun like this.
  20. Mij Retrac

I'm not sure I claimed it's perfect. As a matter of fact there have been many times in this thread that I have stated that the pressings have been less than perfect. As a matter of fact somewhere in previous threads I mentioned I needed to do an exchange on LAD where I took record 1 from the second one I received and record 2 from the first one I received to make an acceptable 2 record set. But even though these ones still aren't perfect, they still blow away my CD. Not to mention they have tracks not available on the original CD.

I was merely pointing out that the issue you had is not a mastering issue. It's a pressing issue. IMO the mastering was really good on this actually.

Simon_LDT, johnny q and SeventhGun like this.
  21. Mij Retrac

There were a couple of complaints about LAD. Me and someone else complained about a thumping noise at the beginning if the first side of record one during Churchill's speech intro. My second (exchanged) record was fine though.

22. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

That was me - both copies had the "thump" but my second (replacement) copy was not warped to hell like my initial copy so I kept it. Agree though, no issues whatsoever with the sound quality/mastering....it's got more weight and punch than my 80s era vinyl and the original CD.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  23. FelixR

FelixR Well-Known Member

If any member can confirm if the EU TNOTB is:

1) not muddy (sound-wise)
    2) Front cover has the darker/black hue (instead of the blueish one we have seen for years)
    3) and the back cover has the group standing differently to all previous versions

It would be greatly appreciated.

I was greatly disappointed with the US version, and may purchase the EU version, instead.

Thanks, in advance.

24. I have listened to needledrop samples from the EU und US version of TNOTB, made by the same person (on same equipment). The US version sounded a lot darker and really muddy, the EU version did not sound muddy to me. I do have the new EU Version myself and also an early UK pressing. Between these two, the UK pressing has a bit more treble and a somewhat better soundstage. I think the 2014 EU pressing of TNOTB sounds decent but just not as good as an early UK original.

The cover is darker like you described, and I do like that color balance much better. The new cover is not as sharp as the original, maybe they forgot to apply sharpening before printing.

And yes, the group stands differently on the back cover. Not sure what the reason behind that one is.

metalrules likes this.
  25. Mij Retrac

I can't speak for the cover details but I have both the EU and US versions and the EU definitely sounds better, no questions. The covers look very similar except the EU is a glossy finish and the US is matte.

metalrules likes this.