Finally! Iron Maiden BLACK VINYL reissues coming in September... (Part 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Where are you guys buying your EU pressings? I checked Amazon.uk todat and the prices for new Maiden were outrageously expensive. Typically I would just buy from Amazon U.S. unless there is a clear problem with the U.S. issues.

2. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Pre ordered from amazon uk

3. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

You might want to cross the border into Canada - the pressings I saw at Sunrise Records were all made in EU. Also $1USD = $1.30CDN

4. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Yes really :) I will give it another listen in preparation for the new LP, but I thought complaints about the sound was a pretty common sentiment around these parts:

The recording of Iron Maiden's Final Frontier

;)

Opeth likes this.
  5. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

I am so happy to have "Brave New World" in black vinyl now !!! Will sell my picture LP (original pressing) immediately !!!

Jam757 and Szeppelin75 like this.
  6. Jose Ignacio

Jose Ignacio Well-Known Member

how can you compare the new 2017 vinyl reissues with the original CD or HDtracks and not consider the sonic signature of your equipment? for example, i did a thorough comparison between the EU Brave New World 2017 vinyl vs. my UK 2000 CD and my Itunes pre 2015 file. the differences i hear a subtle at best and actually change more when i switch cd players or cables, or phono/head amplifiers.
    i think it is easy to compare mixes or masters that are both digital or analogue, but trying to compare cd vs. vinyl with standard home equipment or even high end equipment is futile

my Matter of Life 2017 vinyl sounds different than my CD, not better or worse, just different because one signal path is different yhan the other, different voltages, impedences etc...

7. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident

Cables dont have a "sound" !

johnny q likes this.
  8. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Not sure what you're trying to say here... Contradicting in the same post...

I haven't got BNW yet but I have compared DOD and the CD really sounds like dog **** compared to the 2017 LP.

CBackley, metalrules and johnny q like this.
  9. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Couldn't wait for price drops, so picked up AMOLAD from amazon (used a gift voucher to ease the pain) and BNW/RIR from music magpie, using a 10% voucher code, the cheapest I've seen both of those so far (makes them approx £24 each). All these are EU presses.

Listened to AMOLAD already. Anyone else reckon these are slightly off-centre? (sides B and D) I'm no expert on off-centre records but there is definite sway with the tonearm on this, nothing too severe though and I can't hear any pitch issues myself. Just wondered what others experienced as it should be a whole batch affected if so.

Sound-wise, this one is another winner. If I'm being honest, I can hear the compression at times (some crescendo's are weak) but overall it's a decent listen and there is nothing glaringly bad here (such as the 'pumping' compression on 'No Prayer'). Compared to the CD after and you can tell the mastering is different. The LP has much more high-end, cymbals in particular cut through more and the guitars have more higher-mid clarity. It's brighter but not fatiguing. The CD sounds pretty good, but a bit duller (most likely the flat EQ/no mastering choice at the time). I like both really, but the LP sounds more lively and is more like how Maiden should sound when cranked on a hi-fi.

My copy is whisper quiet, not dead flat but not exactly warped. Just think it may be off-centre slightly. I did switch back/forth with the CD to see if there is pitch issues and I couldn't hear any difference, so...

DOD is the biggest upgrade so far. Will listen to the others today, hopefully they're good!

Purple, metalrules and Metalrob like this.
  10. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

BNW is going back, unfortunately can't get a replacement (refund only via musicmagpie) so will be ordering from amazon instead, which I should have done in the first place, trying to save £4 and now I'm left messing about re-packing and walking down to the post office, haha.

Fantastic sound on it though, thunderous as expected. Both my LP's had horrible scratch marks on the intro to sides A and D. Side A was not audible but side D was horrible popping, which did not stop well into 'Out of the silent Planet', I lifted the stylus before it stopped, had enough and knew it was going back. I found some small 'vinyl shavings' debris in the inners, probably what caused it.

Currently listening to RIR, this one comes in black poly sleeves and the records are clean. Like that it is in fact a tri-fold sleeve, none of this is mentioned in the listings or ads.

Clanceman likes this.
  11. heartbroken_poet

heartbroken_poet Forum Resident

I've just got a copy of Fear Of The Dark BMG (US) pressing with CB on it, and I can confirm it is all-around awesome: dead flat, centered, quiet and with great sound. I've got original UK pressing copies of all their previous albums, so I didn't delve into the previous reissue rush, but I'm very satisfied with the sound of this reissue.
    I was fortunate to nab a US RSD copy of Brave New World, (no CB) and that one sounds FANTASTIC! so I was really pumped for this second batch of reissues.

I hope to get DoD, AMoLaD and Final Frontiers too!

Clanceman likes this.
  12. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Been waiting for prices to go down on BNW, DOD, and AMOLAD; all are still at $28.49 on Amazon USA and have been at that price for a couple of weeks.

13. heartbroken_poet

They are trying to push that price for all new vinyl releases! Look for the new Mastodon, or the Kreator reissues... I think its something orchestrated by the industry.

Adam Bosman likes this.
  14. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Agree 100%

I posted in the IM forums. I must say I'm totally satisfied with all the releases of this 2nd series. FOTD + both Blaze LP's + DOD = best they've ever sounded to me. Also have the RSD BNW, also best ever. MOLAD - sounds phenomenal. One "pop" on side 1 record 1 - no biggie. RIR is awesome as well.

Dig the entire 2nd series so far, with the exception being NPFTD - BUT, the original recording/production is not good. I can't find a copy of it that makes it sound great. So, if I'm honest...I had high hopes that something magical would happen w the vinyl. I'm ok with it. Honestly, I don't know what went on with the vinyl transfer or master here. Still muddy, but Harris gets the spotlight lol. His bass is in my face. That's fine I suppose. :shrug:

Final Frontier is what I'm wanting now more than all. It's way lower on everyone's list compared to mine. Oh well. It's all subjective, but aside from BNW, it's my favorite "Bruce return" album.....hands down. It was also my favorite tour since Seventh Son.

I dig TBOS....I love the Mayan set/theme - but FF is above it, imo. The best songs on FF are incredible. Those tunes live....were unreal.

chrischerm, Purple, Simon_LDT and 4 others like this.
  15. heartbroken_poet

Totally agree on the Final Frontier rank with you. For me that album is the second best of the second Bruce's tenure in Maiden. and even after the classic Maiden era, better for me than NPftD, and FotD.

so for me:

1-Brave New World
    2- Final Frontier
    3- Book Of Souls
    4- Dance of Death
    5- A Matter of Life and Death.

Clanceman likes this.
  16. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

:agree::righton:

heartbroken_poet likes this.
  17. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Big fan of Final Frontier too, the only poor track for me is the title track (and not just because of the opening intro - the song is just too simple and boring). Starblind, Talisman, The Man Who Would Be King are my faves. Heck, the rest is pretty damn awesome too.

18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Which of these reissue lps are definitive as best sound quality for these albums?

Are there any standouts as far as sound quality concerning these reissues?

Is this set considered to over all be really good sounding?

Whats the general concensus?

Thanks!

19. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

I think the consensus is that Dance of Death is the biggest improvement so far. I’m in the minority apparently with how some of these sound. There’s a pretty big dropoff at about 18k on all of these that is very audible to me. But with how compressed everything from VXI on is these may still be the best they’ll sound.

iloveguitars likes this.
  20. iloveguitars

iloveguitars Forum Resident

The compression on Dance of Death hurts my ears yet The X Factor is wonderful.

sunking101 likes this.
  21. fogzax

fogzax Forum Resident

It is still quite compressed and a bit muggy in places but if you compare it to the CD version you realise how much better it is. I'm very happy to have this version on vinyl. I agree that X Factor sounds great.

Re- Final Frontier - I'm totally with those who hold it in high regard - second only to Brave New World in the post 2000 albums for me DOD has grown on me more since the vinyl release - Might even be in third place now with Book of Souls in 4th and A Matter of Life of Death in last place for me. I've always found AMOLAD to have too dry a sound and a bit hit and miss with the songwriting for me - I'm hoping that the vinyl edition might breathe new life into it for me.

Clanceman and iloveguitars like this.
  22. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Love Final Frontier! My preference in order of the albums made after Bruce and Adrian came back:

Brave New World
    AMOLAD
    Book Of Souls
    Final Frontier
    Dance of Death

I'm seeing them on Sunday in Quebec City, and I can't wait.

Jam757, Clanceman and Neonbeam like this.
  23. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

BNW price just dropped finally on Amazon USA from $28.49 to $25 and change so I had to order it. Got tired of waiting!

Clanceman likes this.
  24. chromium

chromium The power of the riff compels me.

I've bought all re-issues this year, and was planning to skip all the ones that come out next week (Death On The Road (Live) / Flight 666 (Live) / The Final Frontier / En Vivo! (Live)
    But with all this talk of Final Frontier being so good, I've listened to it several times this week and agree...it's one to have.

so here is my preference of albums made with the comeback kids.

Brave New World
    Dance of Death
    Final Frontier
    AMOLAD
    Book Of Souls

If I were to include the previous batch of re-issues (No Prayer For The Dying / Fear Of The Dark / The X Factor / Virtual XI ), only Fear Of The Dark would get into that list, knocking Book of Souls out of the top 5.
    All in all I'm very happy with the reissues, sound quality is fine (especially compared to my original vinyl copy of No Prayer For The Dying) and not a single blemish on any of the records (except a faulty copy I received when ordering the Deluxe box, but was able to exchange)

Not as good as the Led Zep or the Sabbath reissues, but very close.

Clanceman, metalrules and Grow Fins like this.
  25. Jose Ignacio

Jose Ignacio Well-Known Member

i bought all the reissues so far, mostly UK but some are US versions, here is my subjective ranking of sound improvement relative to the original release:

Iron Maiden s/t UK version
    Matter of Life and Death UK version
    Dance of Death US version
    Fear of the Dark UK version
    No Prayer for the Dying UK Version
    Live after Death US version

the rest of tge albums sound great, modern, clear, quiet, but no material improvement over original versions. I am surprised that no reissue has bettered my US Original Powerslave, Killers, Somewhere in Time and Seventh son. Likewise, i feel the reissues did not improve over my original UK cd's for Brave New World, x Factor and Virtual XI

i agree with the prior post about the Sabbath 2016 reissues, those kept the 1st release feel, just gave it 21st century kick.

Clanceman, Purple, Metalrob and 2 others like this.