Finally! Iron Maiden BLACK VINYL reissues coming in September... (Part 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

I've been on a massive Maiden binge this week, been listening to all my original LP's (finally picked up a UK Seventh Son that plays quiet) and some of the re-issues. Still got some to listen to later today but will then do a write-up of my findings a few years on from the 2014 reissue releases. One thing is for certain though, I still prefer the 2014 EU reissue of Piece of Mind over the UK original. Granted the UK has a bit more bite and is brighter but the reissue sounds better balanced to me and the bass is much improved. I can crank it more without fatique, wheares the original can get a bit bright when cranked. Still, glad I have both.

Clanceman, metalrules and Metalrob like this.
  2. Jose Ignacio

Jose Ignacio Well-Known Member

good point about the balance on POM. I too feel that the 2014 releases sound very refined and less bright, but I personally prefer the raw punch of some originals; they do get fatiguing at high levels

Simon_LDT likes this.
  3. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Does anyone remember or know why Sean Magee didn't put his usual ''!...!'' etching on most of the 80's 2014 pressings?

4. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

AMOLAD is a HUUUUGE improvement over the unlistenable CD. DOD in comparison sounds not as good.

I totally dig those glossy covers (like LP covers always should have been) and that Maiden doesn't follow the ****ty "recycled-paper-to-save-enviroment" BS with all those dull looking colorless record covers in the last years.

Jam757 and Purple like this.
  5. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

And they smell really good too - like a new book :)

Seriously though - I agree about DOD, however - doing an A/B compare to the original CD......the new vinyl is a much better listen. It really is a case of "pick your poison" because it's a lousy sounding album. Shame....some great songs, I forgot how epic this album is. This reissue series is making me totally revisit my original opinions of all of these albums - the Blaze releases included.

Clanceman likes this.
  6. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

So have been spending time this week revisiting all my Maiden vinyl. Here are my updated thoughts on the presses I have (2014's are all EU):

S/T - I have a 'Fame' UK mid 80's reissue which sounds fantastic. The 2014 reissue is slightly better to me. On the Fame it does sound slightly more 'airy' but for me it has a bit too much bass boom and it sounds a bit separated from the rest of the mix. The 2014 sounds more thicker, dense (but not congested) and the bass is still kickin' it but not as booming and feels attached to the rest of the mix. No idea if the Fame uses the same stampers or not as a UK first.

Killers - I have a UK original for this one, which sounds fantastic, if a touch too bright in spots. Very lively, punchy and open. The 2014 fares much worse than I previously remembered. It does sound dull and dead. I can only imagine the tapes are not in good nick for this one and/or they chose a source which is inferior to the original (pre-mastered maybe). I reckon some EQ could have fixed this. The guitars are way too far back in the mix here, bring them out and it would sound much better already (I don't have EQ settings on my amp - direct only).

NOTB - I have a 'Fame' UK mid 80's reissues of this. Superb sound on this, very open and 'airy. The 2014 I think gets an underserved bad rep. To me, yes it's not as bright but it doesn't sound dull at all (like Killers does). For me, it sounds damn good but in comparison to my Fame, it's not as airy - it sounds more dense and thicker. The 2014 also has slightly thicker bass, which I find does improve on the overall balance. I do prefer the more open sound on the Fame but the 2014 is only a smidgen behind it for me. Happy to have both presentations to choose from. I'll have to source a good copy of an original UK someday.

POM - I have a UK original of this (Utopia in deadwax). Sounds superb, probably the best produced and mixed IM album to me. I actually slightly prefer the 2014 as I feel it's a more natural and balanced presentation. The original does have slightly more punch. Glad to have both as they are equally great in their own ways.

Powerslave - I have a UK original of this which is superb. The 2014 is not far behind imo. The original just has a little more bite, punch and general openness if I'm being picky. I like both here. The only negative of the 2014 is that the side gets quite noticeably quieter as it goes on. Not really a problem, just a minor nuisance really. No IGD though which is good.

Life After Death - I recently picked up an original (UK? It's a Wally cut - same as US?) which I find better than the 2014. Yes, it's kind of bassy but I like that. It sounds more punchy and alive - the bass is not too boomy for me. The 2014 is great, but for me it just sounds too bright/bass shy/combination of both.

SIT - I've a UK original of this, although it's quite badly warped so compared the tracks nearer the middle. The 2014 is extremely close on this one, both are brilliant sounding cuts. The UK original a smidgen more open (especially the hi-hats and cymbals). Wish the 2014 EU didn't have the tape issues but they're not really that bad, split second stuff. Was going to try get a clean US 2014 but I just know that I'll have issues with the pressing quality and having to deal with overseas returns, etc is not worth it for me.

Seventh Son - I've a UK DMM original of this. This is where for me, the 80's thin production really comes in. Neither of these are a revelation, both tinny and bass shy. What I did find is that the UK original has a slight boomy frequency (I'd guess mid-bass region). The 2014 sounds more natural, no boom and not as bright. Both great but I'd favour the reissue.

No Prayer - I've a UK original. No contest here, the 2017 has audible compression issues, otherwise it actually sounds great. Original for me on this one.

That's where my comparisons end, all the others I've got are the 2017 reissues - which I've been happy with considering how bad some of the CD's are.

Of the 2014 reissues (EU) I'd definitely recommend picking up S/T, POM, Powerslave and Seventh Son. Pick up NOTB, SIT and LAD if you want clean copies and/or don't have any originals.

JerryTurcotte, GyroSE, Dusan and 3 others like this.
  7. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Love all you mention. Appreciate the title track though too. The intro alone is strange, but kicks in to what is, imo, an enjoyable, upbeat, melodic rocker - that sets up the rest of those tunes you mention....quite well.

I prefer the flow of this record over all (was comparing everything from BNW to TBOS yesterday - along w the 2 Blaze records) since "Somewhere In Time," I've decided.

Metalrob and johnny q like this.
  8. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

I've now gone through 2 copies of BNW, both are defective (first had deep scuffs from debris inside the inners - on both records!), 2nd looked fine initially but upon playback noticed some horrible pops during Navigator and after looking more closely there is something embedded into the surface. Was consisdering keeping but then more loud scraping sounds on side D. Not sure what it is, doesn't look like (or sound like) non-fill but looks like lots of little specks of dust, which are embedded into the surface (no cleaning would get rid).

Now waiting on a 3rd. This is the only recorded so far that I've had to exchange, all others are fine (knew my luck would run out).

9. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Were these U.S. or U.K. versions?

10. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

UK/EU versions.

11. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

That's unfortunate. Has it been confirmed that the sound quality/ mastering is the same on both versions (U.S. And E.U.)?

12. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I think its the same CB mastering. I got lucky with EU only had an issue with a bad warp on side 2 of AMOLAD. The replacement had the same warp same place just not as bad.

Jam757 likes this.
  13. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Wow! Great job comparing all those different pressings. I prefer the UK and JPN original pressings all over as I think the new remasters lacks the life that the originals had within them. As an example I've 8 different pressings of their first album, the UK and JPN first pressings are very close soundwise but the Canadian and the Dutch pressings aren't far behind IMHO . And if you want S/T to sound more 'audiophile' then the EMI100 pressing is the one you should get. It lacks some of the originals drive and punch though but it's so good in its own- the vinyl itself is very quiet and flat. They are all a bit different in their character but I don't want to be without any of them. I've multiple pressings of all of their studio albums from the 80's and to me the UK and Japanese pressings are the winners in the most cases.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    Jam757, Metalrob and Simon_LDT like this.
  14. porotikos

porotikos Porotikos

hi guys. i have a question. why do you say that you are not satisfied with the amolad cd pressing? imo it is as good as it gets. airy, uncompressed, excellent. and i am sure that the vinyl wont be better than it (i have ordered it and i am waiting on it). ok, i know that my cd player and my amplifier are really hi high end, but even so, i really cant understand why you dont find it satisfying. perhaps someone can explain it to me. i am talking about this specific album, not other albums.
    thank you

metalrules and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  15. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

besides BNW, AMOLAD is the best sounding cd that they ever put out since the 80's. I love the album so I must have it on vinyl... Probably the least upgrade out of the recent reissues over the cd but still. It's not like DoD that sounded like ass on cd and is almost a revelation on vinyl but it still sounds killer and well you know, MAIDEN !

porotikos likes this.
  16. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Agreed, the CD is fine.

Simon_LDT and porotikos like this.
  17. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Ok...who else is PUMPED for the next round of vinyl releases!!!!!!:righton:

18. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Me! "FINAL FRONTIER" finally on black wax:edthumbs:

Adam Bosman, 808_state and johnny q like this.
  19. Vinyl Fan 1973

The only one I ordered is Death On The Road, and I'm looking forward to it.

I haven't picked up any others as I'm satisfied with the CDs.

20. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Can't wait !! At the show right now doing a little tailgating.

Jam757 likes this.
  21. gutter b

gutter b Forum Resident

What is the consensus on the original US compact disc releases of the first seven albums? Are they that much worse than the UK, two-disc castle, whatever releases?

22. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

Several long threads here but basically the only one you would get a modest upgrade from with a UK CD would be Killers. The rest after are essentially the same mastering and the S/T is actually better than the UK.

23. Vinyl Fan 1973

Not so fast...the UK Fame CD is pretty good, and includes the original version of Phantom of The Opera. The CD mimics the original vinyl in the sense that the US cuts off the tail end of Phantom, the part of Paul's phased vocal after the song ends.

I've always loved that part and it's the little things like that which grate on my nerves when the North American release omitted it.

24. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Thanks all for your input on a great thread! Can anyone review Rock In Rio vinyl sound quality or comparison to the CD? I know it's not the most stellar recording but I like the set list and artwork so thinking about getting that one. Also, I 'be been listening to Fear Of The Dark and No Prayer For The Dying on a loop the last few days and have re-evaluated my opinion of these albums. I have got to have both of them on vinyl! Fear especially has grown on me in a huge way.

Neonbeam and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  25. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

3rd copy of BNW arrived and that one is fooked too... :realmad:

:rolleyes:

This one has what I can only describe as a piece of paper completely embedded into side C. Quite large too and it simply won't budge. Can't even peice together a set from the others as each LP has a problem. The LP1 of this replacement is ripple warped/dished too just to put the icing on the cake.

Times like this it makes me question why I bother with vinyl, very frustrating. I've now got to wait for another replacement, which isn't due to arrive until Tuesday. I've also spotted some weird mark/stain on 2 copies I have, it's on side D, generally across the final track. In strong light, looks like some kind of ''dust'' pressed in. Doesn't look like non-fill or the usual scuffs. I'll try get a photo up later if I can. Just causes constant groove noise, like the surface noise has been magnified by a 100 or something. Damn annoying because all the other reissues so far have been defect-free (bar the visually oily surface on Powerslave, but that isn't audible at least) but this one is dodgy as fook.

Anyone else suffering with this one (EU)?