Finally! Iron Maiden BLACK VINYL reissues coming in September... (Part 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Dec 13, 2014.

1. MadCajun

MadCajun Forum Resident

The first two of mine, that came with the box, are Parlophone/EU, the rest are BMG/US. I should add that the first eight look and sound great, so I do have hope for these last four.

Opeth likes this.
  2. Back 2 Vinyl

Back 2 Vinyl Well-Known Member

I connect the recorder audio output of the Marantz to a USB Audio Box which is connected to the laptop where I capture the audio with a program called Audacity.

[​IMG]

3. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Thanks, I might give it a try.

Back 2 Vinyl likes this.
  4. fogzax

fogzax Forum Resident

Listening to this version of Talisman compared to the CD version - I like the mellower tone of the master - they seemed to have pulled back a little from the top end

5. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Yeah - same here sadly. I am having bad luck with Final Frontier. My first copy was badly scratched and loaded with non-fill. My replacement does not have any non-fill but it's badly scratched.

6. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

US pressings? From Amazon?

7. MadCajun

MadCajun Forum Resident

Well, I just finished cleaning them and they actually look very nice, no scratches, no non-fill that I can see; quite a bit of shavings came of the edges during the cleaning, but that's good. I also gave each a quick spin to check for flatness and they are all very flat with no noticeable waves. I may not be able to play any until tomorrow evening, but I'm now feeling better seeing how they turned out after the cleaning and how flat they are.

Opeth likes this.
  8. fogzax

fogzax Forum Resident

I liked the somewhat softer sound on The Talisman video but this one loses some sparkle from the original mix - sounds quite a bit muggier - difficult to judge from someone elses setup on a YouTube video though

9. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

US Pressings from Amazon.

10. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Noted. My Final Frontier arrives from Amazon US tomorrow, will report back.

11. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Listening to Final Frontier right now on headphones. No issues so far. This is much better than the cd. I'm really digging it.

Purple, johnny q, Dorian75 and 2 others like this.
  12. MadCajun

MadCajun Forum Resident

I finally got to play one of the final four I got in Monday, The Final Frontier. As I stated earlier it wasn't a visually appealing disc when it first arrived, but it cleaned up nicely and it sounds fantastic. Flat, quite, and highly crankable when desired.

Rock On!

johnny q, 16s, Dorian75 and 2 others like this.
  13. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

3 have not shipped from amazon uk yet and I pre ordered. Final Frontier showed up Monday. No issues but only listened once, thought it sounded good but didn't perceive a huge improvement from the cd like DoD. Need to listen again !

14. metal134

metal134 Forum Resident

I'll be getting the last of the 3 tomorrow(No Prayer, Fear of the Dark and Virtual XI). It seems I've been luckily because none that I've ordered so far have had any scratching or warping at all.

MadCajun and Opeth like this.
  15. MadCajun

MadCajun Forum Resident

I had the initial box per-ordered from Amazon UK, because of the price, and it didn't arrive until for 4-5 days past the release date. I was beginning to worry, but it arrived in better shape then a few of the later discs from a US source! I didn't compare the sound to the CD, but if I had to play the record instead of the CD from now on, I wouldn't be sad.

16. 16s

16s Forum Resident

Yep, all of mine are Optimal pressings and although some of them visually looked bad when i received them they all washed up well and sound reasonably quiet.

johnny q likes this.
  17. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Finally got a playable copy of Final Fronter. Yes, it was dirty and scuffed from the inner sleeves, but after cleaning they look nice and more importantly - play very quiet!

Having this LP forced me to immerse in the album for the first time since it's release. Very experimental at times and some of the improv is almost like free form Maiden Jazz! Like the solo sections of "Starblind" and "Isle Of Avalon." But listening again reminded me of an opinion I held since the albums release and I a sticking to my guns. "The Talisman" is not only one of Bruce Dickinson's finest vocal performances, but one of the best Maiden tracks ever. I will put this up against anything the band ever did.

18. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Spinning my US Amazon Final Frontier right now and it sounds very good. Has a little debris on it like most new vinyl these days, but washed up fine in the Spin Clean. Flat, quiet vinyl and the master sounds good. I was listening to an original 80s US press of SSOASS right before this which sounded noticeably better, much more open and airy. I do hear noticeable compression on FF. But given it's a modern record cut from digital, I think it sounds decent.

16s and Opeth like this.
  19. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Flight 666, death on the road and en vivo finally arrived today. All flat one minor paper scuff nice and centered. On side C of flight 666 !

johnny q and porotikos like this.
  20. porotikos

porotikos Porotikos

good to know. I got a bit frustrated. Did bnw and amolad with problems. Amolad replacement came and is perfect. (I still believe that cd is better than vinyl for this album). Waiting on the rest of the replacements. Hope they are fine. Because I am sick of poor quality control

Simon_LDT and Opeth like this.
  21. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

Anyone have any more opinions on the new Final Frontier? I love this album and am very interested in the new vinyl but I don't want to spend $30 on something that's not a noticeable improvement either.

22. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Only picked up Final Frontier so far, thankfully it's flat and no issues at all. So far all mine have been fine except BNW, that is the only one I've had to exchange. Still need to get the 3 live releases but will wait for price drops on those.

Sound is good on FF, especially once the main song kicks in (what were they thinking with the demo sounding intro - the drum machine sounds terrible and has no punch to it). Pretty happy with the sound on this, although I do wish it was better because there are parts which sound very muddy and a bit flat but then other parts sound much clearer and punchier - got to blame the mix for that also. Overall though it's decent and crankable and the best it will ever sound unless they ever do a remix and proper audiophile mastering.

Anyone else a bit disappointed that En vivo only has a normal pocket sleeve? I was expecting a tri-fold like Book of Souls and Rock in Rio. Seems a bit cheap when everything else has been done with quality in mind.

23. porotikos

porotikos Porotikos

got x factor finally. it is flat looks clean, but on the start of all tracks and on the quieter parts you can hear little crackles. there isnt any loud instant noise (pop is the correct term?), but this rice sound i really there in the quieter parts. and since i adore maiden, i dunno if i can live with that. this reice noise is really distracting...should i return it?obviously i am fearing if the replacement could be worse... got it from jpc.de

24. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Depends really because there are some extremely quiet parts on this album so you will hear some surface noise of the stylus riding the grooves, dependant on set-up, etc. Have you cleaned it on an RCM?

25. porotikos

porotikos Porotikos

well thank you for your comment. ill clean it again tomorrow (more thoroughly as i was in a hurry today)and get back. cheers

Juggsnelson likes this.