Finally! Iron Maiden BLACK VINYL reissues coming in September... (Part 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Dec 13, 2014.

1. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Indeed - agree 100% This was the first 2014 Maiden vinyl reissue I purchased and I considered cancelling my preorders for the rest. Awful, boxed in blanket over the speakers sound.

However, someone over at the original thread for these 2014 releases made a compelling case with waveforms and sound samples, proving out that this anomaly only affects the US Pressing. The UK pressing is much more open sounding. I ordered one from Amazon UK and what he said was true. The sound is in line with the rest of the reissue campaign.

CBackley and DoF like this.
  2. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I did see the UK version on Amazon after my impulse buy. Again, lesson learned here.
    It's their most famous album. It should've gotten the Sgt.Peppers treatment, not this bootleg version. It's crazy that the quality control was not there.

DoF and johnny q like this.
  3. HankM

HankM Senior Member

Just placed my order for Dance Of Death, currently $13.23 at Amazon which is the lowest I have ever seen these go. Looking forward to hearing it, I have the CD and the DVD-Audio.

DoF likes this.
  4. rubberhead

rubberhead Erotic Thriller

Weird, I ordered one too for that price. Back up to $23 now.

5. ScaleTheInferno

ScaleTheInferno Forum Resident

This sounds very compressed to my ears. Kick drum is too loud, high end is rolled off, very muddy.
    Has anyone A-B'ed the vinyl vs original CD?

6. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Has anyone tried the Iron Maiden beer? My local shop got two kinds of brews in and they are really good. Highly recommend.

7. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

yes. The Trooper i really like it

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  8. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

All the 2017 (1990-2015) LP's are compressed to a degree as they use the 2015 masters. For me, they are still the best these albums have sounded on any format (bar FOTD which I don't own an original LP). The compression isn't blatant or distracting on the whole, for me personally.

Purple and johnny q like this.
  9. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

There's 3 beers that have been brewed by Robinsons brewery: "Trooper 666", "Red 'N' Black" (which isn't available anymore) and the new Belgian-style "Hallowed".
    They are very good beers. I haven't yet tested "Hallowed" hopefully soon I will get around to taste it.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  10. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

^^^Trooper is a fantastic beer, I buy them locally. Would love to try the new "Hallowed" Belgian style ale - not sure if they can be purchased yet in the U.S.

Getting back to topic at hand. I listened again to X-Factor on headphones last night. I have to repeat what I said earlier - this vinyl reissue sounds wonderful, in particular Nicko's drum sound.

Vinyl Fan 1973 and Szeppelin75 like this.
  11. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I got a bit sideways on Trooper beer at the San Antonio Book of Souls show. I'd buy a 6 pack if I saw it at the store sometime.

Szeppelin75 and johnny q like this.
  12. ScaleTheInferno

ScaleTheInferno Forum Resident

This is where it this project gets a little puzzling for me. The 2015 HD tracks remasters sound pretty bad IMO. All of the vinyl releases were cut by Chris Bellman. Why use such a prestigious mastering engineer if they're straight digi transfers and all he did was prepare the lacquers? I'm certain the BNW cut was from a less compressed master than the 2015 HD tracks version (listen to it, it sucks). I'm curious what he had to work with. Either way, that upload sounds worse to me than the original.

moofassa_ca, iloveguitars and Purple like this.
  13. Vinyl Fan 1973

Trooper and Red N Black are still available in Canada. They are very good, and I’m waiting for Hallowed to get released here so I can try it. The beer is a hot seller here.

SammyJoe and johnny q like this.
  14. Sci-Fi Kid

Sci-Fi Kid Forum Resident

For anyone else just slowly grabbing these one at a time like me, Amazon US has the 2LP of A Matter of Life and Death on sale for $16.44 right now! Very thankful for low-priced Maiden vinyl.

15. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip! They also have a few of the other Iron Maiden titles for roughly the same price. I picked up four that i didn't have, all 2 LP sets. And at checkout, it applied a vinyl promo discount, which made my purchase even cheaper. I don't know if that's a Prime thing, or not. It didn't say.... But, great prices on these! Thanks again, Sci-Fi Kid! \m/

Purple and Sci-Fi Kid like this.
  16. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

Thanks for the info, I just got Rock in Rio triple LP for under $20. Somehow I missed getting this when it came out, looking forward to it since I've never heard it before!

Purple and Sci-Fi Kid like this.
  17. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I used the same deal to scoop Rio, Dance of Death, and Matter of Life and Death for about $45 total.

I have all of the reissues from the second box aside from Final Frontier, Book of Souls, and the 3 other live albums in the series at this point. Any luck and I’ll have filled the rest of the box by spring.

Sci-Fi Kid likes this.
  18. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Not sure if you ever picked any of these up but the vinyl destroy the CD counterparts in my opinion. The only one that is maybe just marginally better is DOD. BNW and AMOLAD sound fantastic, FF also amazing. I know new vinyl is frustrating but these are well worth it for the Iron Maiden fan. Also, for what it's worth, mine were all defect free with no surface noise.

scottp, Metalrob, Purple and 3 others like this.
  19. Vinyl Fan 1973

Thanks for your feedback. I still check the prices on Amazon Canada every now and then. I've been tempted a few times, but I think based on your suggestion I'll try BNW and AMOLAD, which are my faves. The prices have really come down on these.

At first I didn't think there'd be that much of a difference compared with the CD, but perhaps I need to give this a try. Thanks again.

20. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Another vote of confidence....I really don't think you will regret it. These vinyl reissues are a step up from both the cds and the 24 bit digital files. They even made me a fan of the 2 Blaze albums :)

Vinyl Fan 1973 and Purple like this.
  21. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

I found DOD to be the most improved over the CD, the LP makes the album listenable at last.

metalrules likes this.
  22. Vinyl Fan 1973

Really? That's one of the lowest priced reissues at the moment, I may have to snag that as well.

23. Vinyl Fan 1973

Thanks! I really appreciate your reply, I'm going to pick up 2-3 of em and see how I like them.

24. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Yep, by far the most improved of the lot in my opinion.

25. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

The only one I can't recommend is No Prayer For The Dying. The overall tonality is good, but there is a strange breathing or pulsing sound throughout. Some are bothered by it (me) and others claim they cannot hear it.

The live albums sound really nice btw.

I really think you will grab 2-3 initially and end up getting them all in time :)