Finally! Iron Maiden BLACK VINYL reissues coming in September...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jmpatrick, Aug 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

I decided to open my box after all. S/T and Killers were perfect but NOTB was slightly warped.

2. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

URP pressed the singles as well as the LPS in the US.

3. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Mine are all perfect after all these years apart from just after the solo on 'Hallowed' the needle jumps and gets stuck, a warning to all you lot new to vinyl don't cue up your favourite song constantly to impress your younger brothers and friends you wish to join the Maiden Fan family:laugh:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    motorcitydave and jeffgt14 like this.
  4. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Very cool. Yeah, there's a few pops and clicks on my copy too. Only my copies of 'Killers,' 'Piece of Mind,' 'Powerslave,' and 'Somewhere in Time' are virtually noise free.

Something a good cleaning will most likely help.

Anyway, nothing's perfect of course. But, good quality can be had sometimes.

5. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

:nauga::cheers:\m/

motorcitydave likes this.
  6. motorcitydave

:tiphat:

7. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Resistance is futile! UK Maiden... :drool:

8. scottp

scottp Forum Resident

finally got to play my s/t copy this morning and it sounds a lot better than killers or notb. has a natural and lively sound the the other two do not. the s/t reissue will be something i go to on a regular basis from my collection!

johnny q and 808_state like this.
  9. motorcitydave

Well, I just took the plunge. I am now spinning my EEC copy of 'Powerslave.' I thought it was a UK, but has the same mastering as US and UK copies.

Dr. Metal MD and Spirit Crusher like this.
  10. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

I have all the originals, either US or UK pressings. You guys are making me itch to get a hold of the JPN originals...

11. Dr. Metal MD

Powerslave, Piece of Mind, and Live After Death all out in less than a week... who is pulling the trigger and picking them up? I have my preorders in for the Optimal pressings hoping that they sound as good as the S/T repress does...

Also, wouldn't it be great if they re-released these LPs as box sets like Metallica did from AJFA onward? Those box sets sound amazing at 45 RPMs. They could really put a lot of effort into it and, I'm sure, make a killing in the process.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  12. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

This is good news. I have been pretty vocal about my displeasure with NOTB, but the S/T songs on the 7" I like quite a bit in terms of sound quality. I am waiting on purchasing because I have US Pressings of both S/T at my parents house which require my lazy butt getting over there and picking them up. If they don't rock my world....I may purchase the s/t reissue.

13. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I am REALLY curious about this too. I cancelled my pre-orders based on my dissapointment with NOTB, but I could really use a clean copy of POM (my original US has issues.)

14. Dr. Metal MD

Well, I'll be sure to post my thoughts (as will many others, I assume) when I get it in the mail. I have an original US or UK (I forget which) pressing that I'll compare it with. I hope that they sound more like the S/T, which is absolutely fantastic, than Killers or NOTB.

The latter two, in my opinion, are pretty good. Not great compared to the originals, but good, especially if you want clean, silent, new copies of the records. A bit of volume and EQ tweaking can really make the music come out. Some parts of NOTB are more dull and less dynamic with a smaller soundstage, but others are spectacular. There are some inconsistencies across the pressing in terms of sound quality, but I'm still happy with the purchases.

MikeyP likes this.
  15. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I have original US of POM and LAD
    and a Japanese PS...
    I'm gonna wait and see if course ! I might pick them up later.

16. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

I have AJFA, The Black Album and Death Magnetic in those box sets and the only one of those that sounds great to me is AJFA. The Black Album original CD sounds better and Death Magnetic sounds the same as the crappy sounding CD. Those were a waste of money IMO.

Blueshirt likes this.
  17. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

1000 times agree. JPN's have high quality mastering minus the snap, crackle and pop of dirty raw materials and no IGD due to poor QC.

GyroSE likes this.
  18. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

My box of Maiden arrived from the UK but destroyed. I am returning to sender without even opening it. There is no way possible they are not damaged. The box literally looks like it was under the truck tire it is crushed that much.

19. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Did you get it from amazon.co.uk? I've had some serious issues with my last couple of orders from them to include getting an EMPTY box delivered with two sides split open.

I have a Maiden LP set on the way so I sure hope it's packaged better.

20. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Yes.
    I have never had an issue with Amazon UK before. Maybe a slight crush on the corner but nothing serious. This is literally destroyed. I would post a pic if it would let me.

21. SeventhGun

SeventhGun Forum Resident

Will get the next three ones plus all singles on Friday (German pressing)

22. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

If anyone is curious to how the next batch sounds, why don’t you just find a thread about the picture discs and search there? I’m sure it will tell you how every one of these discs sound outside of the surface noise.

23. wkcchampion

wkcchampion Well-Known Member

One question... sorry if it's already been said before.
    Will the Live After Death reissue include the booklet?

BTW... I really love the sound of the first lot so far. The best new vinyl I've bought this year, after the Beatles mono.

24. SeventhGun

SeventhGun Forum Resident

We don't know yet :) Tomorrow we will know, I should get mine then, will post here if it is included

25. I stand corrected with regards to "The Number of the Beast" and the relative frequency comparison with the original UK vinyl. I suppose the recessed treble did not register with me that much, I heard more the slightly increased midrange.

But now I have needledropped the original UK vinyl vs. the 2014 re-release, and here it is. I also threw in the original EMI UK CD for comparison.

The treble is really rolled of on the 2014 re-release. A different mastering approach, so to say. Those who called it "dull" or "wet blanket over the speakers" were right.

I still think it sounds o.k., though, but not as good as the original UK vinyl.

If I have time, I'll do the others also, but it might be a while.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.