Finally on DVD: Star Wars, Sept 21st

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Sckott, Feb 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

They are going to be anamorphic.

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Similar to last years re-cut of Alien, there are also a number of small editorial trims. Some folks have claimed that they were made to de-emphasize violence (which some of the cuts may do), but I believe the intent was to tighten it editorially
    Yeah, but then earlier in the film, they could not resist making a bad music interlude worse! :eek:

Regards,

3. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Oh, forgot about Jedi Rocks! :hurlleft: Nothing like a dated 90's music video thrown in to get you ready for the Muppet show. :D

4. Ken_McAlinden

The aspect ratio for these films will be 2.35:1 plus or minus.

5. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Me, too. Way better, IMHO, than that insufferable music while those furry little tribbles danced around... :laugh:

6. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

The original films had some awkward visuals (especially in the first film), the annoying Ewok ending, missing a scene between Han and Jabba, plenty of visual gaffes, and didn't look as good as if it had been made today.

And these are the only versions I want to see.

Lucas doesn't seem to understand that a film is a product of its time. Star Wars looks like 1977 because it was made in 1977 and that's the way it should look.

And if he's worried about the movies not connecting with kids today, he need only ask Disney if old movies can still be popular. Or, he could put that energy into making new movies.

The saddest part is how insecure he seems to be with his own work. His tampering is doing just what he was afraid of happening if he didn't touch them- making people stop caring about it.

7. Mr. Winston

Mr. Winston New Member

Lucas did trim shots of laser blasts hitting Imperial officers on the Death Star in the Special Editions as part of his alterations, along with the infamous "Greedo fired first" edit. :shake:

8. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Aren't you thinking about "Captain EO"? :winkgrin:

(Well, Lucas directed that one, too).

9. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Weird... sorry. :(

10. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

:laugh: :D :winkgrin:

11. GregY

GregY New Member

Yeah, I'm sure most people don't miss that, but my wife and I certainly do. When I told her that only the SEs would see release on DVD, she said "No Yub-Yub song?" :)

12. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

thedigitalbits.com has reported that a Marketing exec w/ Lucasfilm confirmed that these will indeed be the '97 versions, not something Georgie has done since that time that has yet to be seen.

Although I definitely prefer the originals for "purity's sake," I generally recall (having seen each once in the theater in '97) that Star Wars came off much worse, Empire neither really suffered nor was enhanced from minor changes, and Jedi was improved slightly, mostly due to the revised ending that chopped out much of the Ewok celebration and that silly song.

13. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Jabba the Hut walking in The New Hope was a little too weird for me. I didn't need that enhancement.

14. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

I agree. The wait has been so long for these that now, for me, it's pretty much "who cares"?
    On top of that, it's the ORIGINAL versions of these films that really made Lucas' name. These were the versions that folks went to see 15 times or whatever. Frankly, I think Lucas is an idiot for not putting BOTH versions on DVD. What's the harm there? He can have the versions that started the spark and still put the versions that he really wanted to do on the same disc.

I have no intention of buying this set unless and until BOTH versions are offered. Period. George Lucas doesn't need my money and I have no intention of giving it to him unless I get what I want for my dollar in return. This set is not it. My life will not be altered if I don't have these films in my collection.

Gene

15. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Sadly, Mr. Lucas is suffering from what I think of as 'Zappa syndrome.' When Frank went back to master his stuff for Rykodisc, as many of you know, he frigged around with some of the albums, and we won't even get into RUBEN & THE JETS....

Lucas apparently has the same attitude: 'if it's fine as is, well, I bet I can make it finer'....and the results are severe modifications not only of what we remember, but in some instances, additional visuals or sound that weren't there in the original.

Read an intersting article in the Boston Globe today--wish I'd brought it home--about what local Star Wars fanatics thought of the situation and upcoming DVD's. Generally, they agreed they'll buy them but, at the same time, like us, lament that the originals won't be issued on DVD. One guy thinks that, down the road, Lucas might break down and do it anyway, figuring, well, he knows the fans want the ones they grew up with as kids.

Well...in the Ron Furmanek thread, Grant and I(with an assist from Mikey)made a point of saying we'd like the original mono hit versions, too(Mikey thought it only fair, and like us, mono/stereo on the same CD would make everyone happy), and it's analogous to the SW situation. Hey, if Spielberg can give us the original and his adjusted E.T., it seems as if Lucas could break down and offer special Superbit-like editions of the original cuts and sonics of the 3 movies we were so fond of(well, I'm not big on the third, but it ain't bad).

ED :ed:

16. Friend of Brian W

Friend of Brian W New Member

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Jar Jar will make an appearance somewhere.

Of course I cant say for sure, but I have a feeling that the original versions will come out someday on DVD. Too many people making a stink over this. And we all know George wants a fat paycheck. My guess is that after these special ed versions have flooded the market for a couple of years, the originals will make their appearance in some pricey boxset that includes the 3 prequels, forcing all of us to buy the crummy movies we don't want to get the ones we do. Some poor suckers will wind up buying it twice. (I have friends that always buy the theatrical releases of the lord of the rings on dvd the day they are released, and are happy to buy it again when the extendeds come out.) Have patience; the originals will see the light of day again.

17. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Lucas already has publicly stated in print that the "Faces" versions of the original triliogy released on VHS and LD would be the last time to have the untampered versions. Ain't no goin back now, folks.

Can I still be a huge SW fan and be OK with the newer versions?

Well, I guess I can gripe a little 'bout the Greedo thing...

18. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

But if so many people by the altered versions, Lucas has no reason to give us the originals. I personally don't understand why anyone would buy them, but it's not my money.

And if he were to release the originals only with the prequels, I wouldn't buy that either.

DVDs cost a lot of money. Why pay for something I don't want?

The whole "different version" and crappy sequel thing totally weakened my love of the franchise. I still love the original trilogy, but with so many great DVDs coming out all the time, I really don't care what Lucas the Big Baby does anymore.

19. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

The only way Lucas will make me go and watch Episode III is if he promises to kill Jar Jar Binks in the cruelest way possible.

20. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Forum Resident

Lucas has said many things over the years & then changed his tune if decided to so I wouldn't use that statement as any kind of proof that we'll never see the originals.

21. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

You made a good point, Lucas does change his mind. Still, he sees $$ in his sights, not necessarily preserving something that he has already decided to change. Sure, it would please some fans, but the majority of the are content with the new versions and Lucas knows that.

22. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

if he's so unhappy with the originals, why not make a real statement?

hire Tarantino to direct a new version of New Hope, Peter Jackson to do Empire and Kevin Smith for Return of the Jedi. everyone'll still be pissed, but who could resist buying?

23. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Tarantino doing New Hope? With Travolta as Luke and Samuel Jackson as Han Solo?
    Or Kevin Smith's Jedi with Jason Mewes as Yoda! :laugh:

Evan

24. Ken_McAlinden

[Star wars geek discussion board mode]Does this mean that the bongsaber is canon?[/Star wars geek discussion board mode]

Regards,

25. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

There are so many Star Wars references in Kevin Smith films anyway, I'm surprised Lucas hasn't asked for a cut! And yes, he should put the Bongsaber in Part III! It would be a "hit"! :laugh:

Evan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.