"Finding Nemo" DVD out Nov. 4th.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dan C, Oct 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I finally watched this DVD with some assorted nieces and nephews. I have a large screen front projction system, and I must admit that it looked great. However, IMHO, the Toy Story 1 & 2, and Bugs Life beat this one out for story line and characters. When it was over, I found myself thinking that "I hope no one else comes over to watch this". I don't think I could hold up through repeated viewings.

Thinking back to the film, I found that the turtles were the best part of the movie. I kinda wish that we followed the turtles instead of leaving them behind. They were much more interesting to me than the main characters.

Maybe I am just getting old, but it seemed like this story was a bit more forced than the Toy Stories of Bugs Life. I would rate it more in the "Monster's Inc" class.

Anyone else think this, or am I just out of the loop?

:-jon

2. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I think I like Bug's Life the least...and I still *really* like that movie. They're all that good! No opinion on Nemo as I've only seen bits and pieces, but Monsters Inc. IMHO is a high point. For me, anyway, it was the first time I started watching a Pixar film and forgetting it's all computer generated. For the two Toy Story movies and Bugs, I was in awe of how nicely the Pixar productions looked. With Monsters, I found myself not as captivated by the technology...not to mention my liking Billy Crystal and John Goodman in this film. The one thing that bugs me about Nemo is the voice talent chosen...I never have liked female comedians (it's always so grating to me, don't know quite why), and this won't win me over when I finally get to see the entire movie.

3. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

I might be taking Finding Nemo too personally, but it's such a fine movie that I don't care.

I had a pretty traumatic Summer with my daughters, and Finding Nemo bookmarked the whole thing.
    It's our generation's "Dumbo". A story about parents fighting, and willing to die, for their children. It also touches our children, who are secretly afraid of being left alone or abandoned, or having their family splintered.
    To me Finding Nemo is far deeper than it first appears, but it's also endlessly clever, beautiful, and entertaining.

Dan C

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No, you're not alone - I fully agree. The two "Toy Story" flicks and "Bug's Life" are absolutely top-notch, whereas "Monsters" and "Nemo" are merely GOOD. Entertaining and enjoyable, but not on a par with the first three movies from Pixar.

I wonder if this connects to the fact that John Lasseter directed the first three but not the latest two. Guess we'll find out how significant his presence behind the digital camera is in 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.