Finding OEM styli in aftermarket packaging- 'how to'

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PhxJohn, Nov 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident Thread Starter

Gary at Voice of Music still has some OEM styli. I am trying to come up with an easy way to find OEM styli packaged in aftermarket manufacturer's packaging. Pfanstiehl is probably the best source regardless of who is selling them. I have yet to see an OEM stylus in an EVG package. Use the Pfanstiehl catalog to get the correct Pfanstiehl stylus number. Pfantiehl's numbering scheme is the most popular. I have seen EVG styli packages with the Pfan numbers INSTEAD of EVG numbers. Merger/buyout coming ? Later on that.

Just 'Google' the stylus number and you may get a direct hit. I tried '756-DE' and got a direct hit on an Ebay listing for a genuine Shure stylus in a Pfanstiehl package. You can add or omit 'Pfanstiehl'. You will get a slightly different result set. Put a '4' in front of the stylus number ('4756-DE') and you will get the generic stylus replacement which will be manufactured in Japan or Switzerland. I hope this helps people with their searches.

2. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

So, if i type in 35HE i might set a genuine Shure V15mk3 stylus.
    I think i could tell by stylus compliance .
    Is there any other way to tell what you are getting?

3. PhxJohn

The description, packaging, pictures, Shure often puts their name on the stylus. There is not a whole bunch of old OEM out there. But I got a few 'direct hits'.

4. Thorensman

I have taken up the quest. I will keep you informed.

PhxJohn likes this.
  5. missan

missan Forum Resident

I have nearly exclusively bought Zafira needles. Many of theese are OEM. But they have their own numbers.

6. PhxJohn

The supply of OEM like the stylus suspension assemblies themselves are really drying up. I hope that you find the model(s) that you are looking for.

7. PhxJohn

8. PhxJohn

It appears that Pfanstiehl often put a '*' in front of the stylus number to indicate an OEM stylus. Example '*605-D7T'. The back of the Pfans package clearly indicates 'Manufactured by Pickering Co.'. The 'D' indicates diamond, the '7' a 0.7 mil, and the 'T' for turntable. Pickering had a scheme for styli where 'C' indicated suitable for a changer, 'T' for an automatic turntable, and 'M' for a manual turntable. That applied to cartridges as well as styli. Now, decades later, it all makes more sense to me.

9. Thorensman

Very frustrating and disappointing .
    I found what I thought was the real thing 0.7 x 0.2 diamond Shure HE
    Then i read reviews. "This is not 0.2 x 0.7 its 0.3 x0.7 and it sounds thin and sibilant.
    So the seller lies. All you can do is pay up wait and see !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.