Finished Deadwood, Lost, Mad Men.. What's next?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Jan 2, 2014.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Another deceased show I rate highly is MADMEN though season 7 part 1&2 ...kinda seemed boring , and felt anticlimactic. Season 5 season ended with Don Draper sipping a drink with the bond theme You Only Live Twice, playing in the background was pretty effective and a good closure.

driverdrummer likes this.
  2. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yeah, Tinker Tailor is great. I saw it but don't recall much about Smiley's People .

A BBC drama I've been wanting to revisit for a long time is The Singing Detective (1986). I really enjoyed that back when it aired on PBS here in the states. Never saw the american movie they made out of it (or if I did I hated it so much that I erased it from my memory banks???).

The Singing Detective - Wikipedia »
    "The Singing Detective is a BBC television serial drama, written by Dennis Potter, which stars Michael Gambon and was directed by Jon Amiel. The six episodes were "Skin", "Heat", "Lovely Days", "Clues", "Pitter Patter" and "Who Done It".

The serial was broadcast in the United Kingdom on
    BBC1 in 1986 on Sunday nights from 16 November to 21 December with later PBS and cable television showings in the United States. It won a Peabody Award in 1989. It ranks 20th on the British Film Institute's list of the 100 Greatest British Television Programmes, as voted by industry professionals in 2000."

I have seen a couple interesting BBC serial arc shows that last couple years that I liked but am struggling to remember them. One that stands out as particularly good that I do recall and can heartily recommend is Red Riding. It aired on TV but is only 3 "episodes" which are really fims rather than TV shows. A good thing about getting into something like this is you don't have to invest like 3 months of your time to watch multiple seasons of an acclaimed show!

Red Riding - Wikipedia »
    "Set against a backdrop of serial murders during 1974–1983, including the Yorkshire Ripper killings, the books and films follow several recurring fictional characters through a bleak and violent world of multi-layered police corruption and organised crime."

Another one I liked a lot was Line of Duty (cop drama). I only saw the first two seasons. Season 3 aired this year, have to check that out.

Line of Duty - Wikipedia »
    "Line of Duty is a British police procedural television series created by Jed Mercurio that premiered on 26 June 2012. It is the most popular drama series broadcast on BBC Two in the multichannel era and is a winner of the Royal Television Society Award for Best Drama Series. The first series was BBC Two's best-performing drama series in 10 years, with a consolidated audience of 4.1 million viewers."

alexpop and Brenald79 like this.
  3. alexpop

Now The Singing Detective is great ( have the DVD), for a 30 year old series, it still holds up. Dennis Potter had a brilliant mind. Another of his tv series that was good was Pennies From Heaven and Cold Lazarus.

4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

After they left the farmhouse and arrived at the prison, I had no interest in it. That show is like the walking dead to me at six seasons long. Every time I look at it now, the only life it has left is when they're burying a hatchet in some zombies head "SPLOOSH." It should be called the Walking Head Bash at this point. And my dislike for sheriff Rick has never diminished. Something about that actor rubs me the wrong way. Tries way too hard to be intense all the time. Hopefully when the show goes off the air we won't have to see him anymore. I think he's too connected with that character now to ever shake it.

I could never get into Madmen. It's just way too soap opera for me. Some interesting nostalgia stuff at the office, but all the other melodrama makes me run.

Encuentro likes this.
  5. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

By the time I stopped watching the show in the middle of season six, I despised every character with the exception of Morgan, the only character with a shred of decency. I was a Rick supporter until he turned into Shane. Talk about a show about nothing. Wander through the woods, kill a few zombies, find someplace to settle down, meet some new people, argue, fight, repeat for five plus seasons. There was the hint of a plot with the CDC at the end of the first season, but it never went anywhere.

Ghostworld likes this.
  6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

"until he turned into Shane" Yeah, good observation. He just hasn't been likeable for a long time. The CDC plot vanished into thin air, you're absolutely right. It would be nice if it expanded into something bigger than the merry roving band of head bashers.

Encuentro likes this.
  7. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

No it's completely different characters although you'll recognize some of the actors/actresses from Oz and The Wire pop up throughout the series. It's set in Baltimore though, like The Wire. I'd probably only recommend it to fans of The Wire and Oz who also enjoy police procedurals and grew up in the 1990s. While it aired it was nominated and won many awards and some its classic episodes place on different top TV show episodes of all time lists.

8. alexpop

Referring to Better Call Saul & Breaking Bad.

9. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Smiley's People is an adaptation of Le Carre's novel which is a sequel to Tinker Tailor. Pretty good series if you like Tinker Tailor and old BBC shows.

The library here has Line Of Duty and Red Riding so I will be watching those. Hadn't heard of them before. Thanks;).

slipkid likes this.
  10. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Let us know what you think. Red Riding really impressed me and I want to see that again. I just got the 3rd series of Line of Duty so I will have to go back and watch the first 2 seasons again to refresh my memory b4 diving into S3. Man I need more free time (my viewing time is taken up lately with hockey and football!).

11. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Will do. I like how the British shows are very rewatchable and almost neccassary.

Anyone seen The Night Manager? Another Le Carre novel. What a cast, starring the guy from House and the girl from Broadchurch/Spooks. I'm 40th in line for it at my library so will be awhile before I see it.

slipkid likes this.
  12. alexpop

Don't any of you guys buy media anymore ?
    What happened to collecting stuff. :)

Gramps Tom likes this.
  13. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I do, as much as I can. But I've been told "That's crazy" which is slightly less demeaning than "You're crazy."

slipkid likes this.
  14. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I buy/collect music and books. Movies and TV shows rent, borrow, or stream and sometimes buy.

psubliminal likes this.
  15. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

I have only reviewed the last couple pages of posts, and didn't see nominations for my current favorite shows:

Chicago Fire
    Chicago PD
    Chicago Med

These series are still running, are well acted, and are realistic. Being from and living in Chicago and Chicagoland for much of my life, I believe the creators of the series' and actors portray the Chicago culture quite authentically. I recognize many neighborhoods portrayed on the shows. The character development brings the viewer into their lives as they go to work and do their jobs at high levels while managing personal issues-good and bad. Eammon Walker, who portrays Chief Wallace Bowden in the FIRE series demonstrates exceptional leadership from the front by example. Jason Beghe portrays Sgt. Hank Voigts, the leader of Chicago's Intelligence division, and embodies Chicago leadership and courage better than I have ever seen. S. Epatha Merkesson (a favorite actress of mine for decades, btw), expertly portrays a hospital administrator with impossible tasks emerging daily, who leans on Oliver Platt for guidance.

The special effects are also first-rate, seeming more realistic or organic than many other movies or shows. In fact, I believe WGN sent a news crew to cover a fire where a CHICAGO FIRE episode was in fact being filmed in a burning bldg. That's pretty realistic....

Anyway, just a thought. Wishing you best viewing possible....

GT

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brenald79 and alexpop like this.
  16. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

I do. Ask my back, knees, and family. At pret-near 60 yrs of age, my wife and I bought a home and moved at the end of Sept. I moved about 20 heavy cartons of books, 1500 lp's, about 800 dvd-blu rays, 3,000 cd's, (6) vintage audio systems including 18 speakers, and so on, including the associated furniture. In the meantime, I continue to acquire :laugh: having ordered about a dozen new cd's & dvd series' in the new address.

I do not download or do NETFLIX, etc. Never have-never will. Even though this ongoing moving/sorting task temporarily takes the life out of us, the media I have acquired points somewhat to who I (we) am/are, and provides timelines, memories, and contexts to our life. I am looking fwd to the moment-first time in my lifetime-whereupon I can have all my books stored/displayed so I can easily access ANY one without going to a stored box.

GT

ps: Half Price Books is about 2 minutes away, their DVD clearance section restocks daily, and one can acquire a film for $2, and many times, and entire season of a show for $3-5 (I've scored seasons of Mad Men, House, Law & Order, CSI, and numerous others). There's also a cd clearance section for $1-2, but the cd selection has a lot of junk. If you score during a coupon campaign or other sale, there's up to 50% off those prices, even. That's cheaper than just the shipping from AMAZON or Ebay.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  17. alexpop

You know how to score a good deal.

18. I like the actor but often don't like his character.

19. My latest TV shows--

Black Mirror
    Luke Cage

alexpop likes this.
  20. alexpop

Brilliant in This Life.

wayneklein likes this.
  21. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I do (unfortunately). For most things I will go the download/rent route first then will buy it later if I like it enough. With TV shows especially it pays to wait like a year b4 you buy, and to keep pricewatches on camelcamelcamel. I picked up like all the seasons of Breaking Bad, Justified, Fargo, The Shield, for around $8 or $9 each tops. Want to pickup Mr. Robot and Orphan Black eventually.

Our discussion above motivated me to want to watch Red Riding again and I have that in my cart now at Deepdiscount....just waiting for another 15% off sale b4 pulling the trigger.

alexpop likes this.
  22. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

Sounds like you're all set for a great retirement gramps, as soon as you have everything set up. Have a blast!

23. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Watched Line Of Duty S1&2 and the first Red Riding so far. Very good! Could probably watch them again, there's lots going on to take in for another viewing. The DVDs had previews for 3 more British shows that look interesting: Jack Irish, Falcon, and Jack Taylor. Watched The Night Manager as well, that one is the best show I've seen in a while.

alexpop and slipkid like this.
  24. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Has anyone seen Underbelly, Australia TV series?

alexpop likes this.
  25. alexpop

So is Deadwood getting a new series or what ?