Fiona Apple - Tidal, VMP reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by senseabove, May 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident Thread Starter

PLEASE DO NOT POST VMP REFERRAL LINKS IN THIS THREAD.
    If you have a referral link to share, please do so in the Coupons, Discounts, & Sales forum.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starting a thread here for the Vinyl Me, Please reissue of Fiona Apple's Tidal, since the previous thread got moved to Coupons, Discounts, and Sales, where it will mostly get overlooked to anyone not already subscribed.

Has anyone gotten their copy yet? It looks like these shipped out end of last week, so some of you east-coasters may have gotten theirs. Eager to hear reports!

Vinyl Addict and pghmusiclover like this.
  2. gss

gss Forum Resident

Thanks for posting about this. I hadn't heard about it and have been wondering when "Tidal" would finally be available on vinyl and using analog tapes and mastered by TJ. Now might be the time to join the club...

Vinyl_Blues and Michael Ries like this.
  3. Michael Ries

Michael Ries Forum Resident

4. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

If it does, it won't be via VMP. They have yet to repeat an artist in 53 releases.

5. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

I'm sure it sounds great and I can't wait for my copy but this is the first I've heard about a digital step.

A little disappointing

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  6. Michael Ries

Agreed, but a fresh high-res transfer mastered for vinyl is about as good as we can get the majority of the time. Relieved they didn't just put the CD master on vinyl like some other reissues...

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  7. Michael Ries

There are rumors of it being a store exclusive and not a record of the month, though i don't know if there have even been any repeat artists for their exclusives.

bloodlemons likes this.
  8. FrixFrixFrix

Nothing that wasn't already readily available. For example, Gorillaz's Plastic Beach was/is available in the store, but is by no means exclusive to VMP or hard to find (it is, however, a fantastic record and my favorite Gorillaz release).

9. LibertyKrell

LibertyKrell Forum Resident

VMP Tidal has made it's way into my state (PA), and is expected to arrive 5/10 via FEDEX. I think I'll start warming the ultrasonic bath.

NewKidInTown and Michael Ries like this.
  10. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

A quick check on eBay indicates that lots of flippers have VMP accounts.

11. Sub 37

Sub 37 Well-Known Member

LOL.. Someone has it listed for $500. Free shipping though, so I guess it's a push

strymeow and whisper3978 like this.
  12. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

Mine arrived today and I'm very pleased with it. Flat pressing with no crackle issues. Booklet, art, and free cocktail recipe included as well. Hope they will do "When The Pawn" at some point as well...

Vinyl_Blues, e.s. and jon9091 like this.
  13. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

It's a title I've been waiting for for years. I don't have a subscription, but preordered from a flipper (high price, but certainly not crazy). Worth it to me, happy with the care given to it, and didn't want to risk losing out on it. Looking forward to it.

14. FrixFrixFrix

Just FYI, you can still sign-up by 5/15 to get this record. Zero reason to buy on the second market at this point.

15. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

I appreciate it, but couldn't be bothered. Didn't pay all that much more than I would for an AP 45 rpm title. Just glad to see this getting a proper release after all these years.

16. 200 Balloons

200 Balloons Forum Resident

On the other hand, it's hard for me to imagine that the parties would go through all of the hassle to make Tidal happen and not sort out When the Pawn . . . at the same time (along with a repress of The Idler Wheel . . .). Tidal could very well be a test balloon for VMP to gauge demand and determine if it's sufficient make When the Pawn . . . a monthly release, or just throw it on the store. I'd be stunned if VMP didn't make a push for her entire catalog, actually.

Granted, this is also me telling myself what I want to hear.

Back on topic: I received a shipping notice for Tidal today. Can't wait.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  17. gss

gss Forum Resident

Yes, me too. Though I don't want to nitpick too much as this is the way most albums are transferred today. However, given that it was on tape, the tapes were in great shape, and that each song was recorded to its own reel, it seems like a no-brainer to produce it AAA.

Especially given that the team working on this wanted it to be as authentic as possible. Though - to be fair - in 1996 there probably would have been a digital step in the chain.

18. seaisletim

Yeah, as I was reading this I couldn't help but think about the similarities with the MFSL Sea Change.

Then, you know, reality kicked in

19. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I'm wondering since this was recorded with each song on each individual reel that it might have just been too labor intensive to cut each individual track through an all analog path and sell at this price point? If it was a reissue label like Mofi, they might go through this process and sell the double lp for $45-$50, where this is priced in the $25 range. It appears they put care into this release.

Also, I wonder if the Nina Simone they released was cut all analog. Ryan Smith did it and it says "Mastered from Original Master Tapes" but that can mean different things.

Looks like they got rid of their month to month subscription for $27.

Vinyl_Blues and PanaPlasma like this.
  20. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Wow - I have been waiting for this release forever

thanks for posting this thread

I just joined VMP - neat site
    do you get a choice whether to pick the monthly release?
    I bought a lot of LPS on their first run

Any way to get a second copy of Tidal via VMP for my friend who is also a Fiona freak?

I paid dearly to get him an Idler's Wheel

Kate Bush - Aerial - pretty please...

21. seaisletim

The Nina Simone sounds great but probably received the treatment described in the Fiona Apple blurb.

As for the $27 month-to-month subscription, they grandfathered me in and assured me that they'd honor that pricing agreement for everyone who wanted to keep it. Which is a check in the plus column for VM,P

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  22. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Estimates are that between 20K and 30K copies were pressed, based on VMP sub numbers.
    There are maybe 20 copies for sale on eBay.

.1% is not remotely a high percentage of flippers.

Vinyl_Blues and FrixFrixFrix like this.
  23. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

I really like the Nina Simone as well, even if there was a digital step added.
    VMP ends the one-month option when they're close to selling out. It's not gone for good. Wait Til next month's release and that option will be available again.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  24. ScienceFriction

ScienceFriction Forum Resident

I just took delivery of my copy, sounds fantastic so far. I don't have a fancy setup, nor the fine tuned ears of an audiophile. It's a really package, and the quality is great. I'll definitely be sticking with VMP for a after this, as it would be fantastic to get When The Pawn... if they add that as member exclusive.

25. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

This sounds great.

jimhb and ad180 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.