Fiona Apple - Tidal, VMP reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by senseabove, May 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I didn't know what you were referring to exactly, since you didn't quote. I thought maybe it was the fact that it was pressed at GZ instead of, say, Optimal.

I suppose it is an interesting turn, but only one report of it here.

2. gss

gss Forum Resident

Stay tuned to find out if there are more! :-popcorn:

ad180 likes this.
  3. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

We'll see. This is the kind of mistake that would not go unnoticed. I would think that somebody in the pressing plant would have to go through all the records and check matrix codes in the dead wax. If so, a few may have slipped by. I don't think this will be wide spread, just a handful of mispressed records that will be easily replaced. My copy is fine.

4. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

My copy plays all 4 sides beautifully... I'd forgotten what a fantastic album this is!

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  5. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Just listened to the first lp (hopefully the 2nd doesn't have Nick Lowe) and a gotta say it sounds fantastic. Maybe my stereo is more forgiving than the couple disappointed reviewers but this is all that I wanted with this pressing, Excellent soundstage, clarity, and more presence than the CD. This was well mastered, certainly from an old pro like Jensen; music comes off strong without unnecessary compression. Pressing is clean and flat. Great packaging. Well worth it! Let's hope for the best for LP 2.

6. I am very impressed with this one. Pressing is pretty quiet with a minor warp on both LPs that does not alter the sound. I was not at all familiar with this album except for the singles and on my first listen I am enjoying it a lot. More jazz influence than I expected for sure! Relayer mentioned above the excellent soundstage and clarity, I agree completely. A lot different experience from hearing the singles on the radio...

RelayerNJ likes this.
  7. Alonzo Hobbs

Alonzo Hobbs New Member

I don't. But I can find out if you're interested.

I've never seen a wrong artist on a side before.

8. Alonzo Hobbs

Alonzo Hobbs New Member

When I contacted VMP, they said I was only the 2nd person to report the problem.

9. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

No Nick Lowe on the second lp for me--sorry for the poster with defect. In fact, the second disc is also terrific. Tracks like Pale September and The First Taste (my fav song on the album) come off beautiful.

10. gss

gss Forum Resident

Wow. Thanks for the update.

Maybe you've got a collector's item them. Think the defect will have value?

11. Doc Diego

Doc Diego Forum Resident

Forgot how much I liked this CD in the 90's. Pretty impressed with the VMP club, shipped fast and great packaging.
    As for the vinyl couldn't be happier! Vocals were a bit too up front with my Nag MP110, so switched to my Shure/ SAS combo and the sound is perfect. Just did a swap so Beck's Odelay should be coming in June.

12. Canadacrowe

Canadacrowe Forum Resident

Received my copy and finally got the chance to listen. No disappointment for me. I prefer her next two albums, and it had been a long time since I'd listened to Tidal end to end. It is a pretty stunning debut. Crystal clear sound, Slow Like Honey sounds like she's singing in the room. Bit fuller sound than the CD IMO, especially details in the string arrangements. No complaints from me, other then makes me wish she had more than four albums (I guess 5 counting the "bootleg" Extraordinary Machine).

Vinyl_Blues, Ryan_Pretzel and e.s. like this.
  13. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I was a one and done with VMP and Fiona....just cancelled. Although, I will join again if something else cool comes along.

14. pghmusiclover

I signed up for 3 months and this month's release is something I've never heard of and that I'm not remotely interested in! I feel like maybe I'll swap it for another copy of Fiona to sell at some point!

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  15. Dusty Ol'Rekkids

Dusty Ol'Rekkids Forum Resident

I agree entirely. Especially in Side C. "The First Taste" and "Never Is A Promise" have never sounded so great.

imajindat and RelayerNJ like this.
  16. Dusty Ol'Rekkids

Dusty Ol'Rekkids Forum Resident

I did a swap for Nada Surf. If I don't like it, there is a decent value on the secondary market.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  17. strymeow

strymeow Forum Resident

Regardless of what you do with your VMP subscription, if you like Fiona Apple you should treat yourself and give Kevin Morby's last (2016) album, Singing Saw, a listen. It's a wonderful work from beginning to end. If City Music (not yet released) is anything like it, VMP subscribers will be in great shape.

DHamilton and GentleSenator like this.
  18. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

I just traded for a copy of Tidal on reddit (mofi pinkerton and a tan label american beauty) really hoping it doesn't have nick lowe on side 2 cause I don't think they will replace it, but as someone said it seems to be a couple isolated copies so worse case scenario stick it on the bay and use the money to buy a regular copy

19. I signed up with Fiona as my first of 3 and was skeptical of the next release. However, after sampling a few tracks from the new Kevin Morby album I think I am going to dig the next VMP exclusive! Especially if they keep the packaging / pressing / mastering top notch. I debated swapping but I am going to keep on keepin on.

strymeow likes this.
  20. Canadacrowe

Canadacrowe Forum Resident

Same with me. There had been a few previous album of the month offers I'd been tempted by, but Tidal made me pull the trigger. I sampled a few tracks from the Kevin Morby album, sounded pretty interesting. I'm always looking for new music, curious to give this a try for at least a few months.

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  21. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident Thread Starter

Are songs other than "Come to Me Now" and "Aboard My Train" available elsewhere?

I'm curious about the Morby album... His last albums are enjoyable enough, tho not something I need to own, but I like the two tracks on iTunes from the new album more than his previous work... I think I'm going to swap for The Fugees, and then give the Morby album a listen when it comes out. I can always swap for it later.

22. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

Perhaps give Tennis a listen, that is still available for swap.

GentleSenator likes this.
  23. No, my apologies I should have been clearer! Just those two that I heard and dug.

24. pghmusiclover

I already have their album...

25. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Forum Resident

Poor Kevin Morby. He was received less than warmly on a lot of social media as the next VMP ROTM. I guess anyone following such a long-awaited album would have a challenge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.