Fiona Apple - Tidal, VMP reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by senseabove, May 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Relaxed Fit Jeans Vibe

Thing is, that Kevin Morby record is fantastic!

2. strymeow

strymeow Forum Resident

Agreed on both counts. The title track is my summer anthem.

CaseyJames likes this.
  3. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I honestly haven't even opened the Kevin Morby yet -- unfortunately, it was shipped before I had a chance to switch it for something else...

4. Really... that is a shame. I dig the album quite a lot.

5. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Forum Resident

I saw that VMP is launching a blues/soul club.

After the success of Tidal and the obvious care that went into the project, I wish they'd also launch a reissue club.

In any case, I wish SOMEONE would.

ScienceFriction likes this.
  6. ScienceFriction

ScienceFriction Forum Resident

I'm not a fan of Kevin Morby, I found his music ok, but not worth spending that much money on. It's probably not really the kind of thing I'm into anyway. It doesn't look like the next release will be either. I'm so glad to have gotten Tidal, but I'm not subscribed atm, and will keep watching for the next interesting release.

7. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

you've seen information on the next release? or are you talking about the betty davis reissue?

8. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

There's a good chance the August AOTM is The National's Boxer (snooze).

9. ScienceFriction

ScienceFriction Forum Resident

Well, that one I wasn't interested either, but that's not because of musical content more I just don't buy things I don't need. As much as possible anyway. Regarding the release after that, it doesn't sound like it'll appeal to me. You can find info on the VMP forum, they slowly give hints as to what the next release will be, and people post their guesses. Of the possible choices that seem the most popular so far, none interest me.

10. pghmusiclover

Where is the VMP forum? On here? Or through their site?

11. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

12. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

eek. has that even ever been OOP? i'll definitely pass on that if it is.

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  13. I joined for "Tidal" and enjoyed Kevin Morby - but the Betty Davis was already done by LITA a few years back and I had a copy, not one that I wanted to double dip on so I traded for the Nina Simone release (AAA and mastered by Ryan Smith at Sterling). My subscription has ended now and if something else interests me again I may just join for a month or three months at a time.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  14. pghmusiclover

What is the point of that, when it seems to be readily available? I'm glad I unsubscribed after a 3-month period.

15. I don't wanna derail the thread too much ... but I feel that VMP should focus more on unique masterings or unique new / reissues versus a color option of a currently in-print album. Just my opinion!

DHamilton and pghmusiclover like this.
  16. pghmusiclover

I agree wholeheartedly!

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  17. theclipper

theclipper Forum Resident

Also totally agree with this!

18. That's an album I've been meaning to get for some time, so I'm quite pleased with the selection. Although I can't disagree with some of the complaints raised re: selecting an in-print version of an album.

19. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I'm not a subscriber but I cherry pick via a friend who is. I don't really care if they're doing albums that are currently in print if they manage to make it sound better, but I wonder if Boxer could even be improved? My understanding is that it was digitally recorded and was mastered in a loud way. If VMP is just adding colored vinyl, lame. If they're actually improving the sound somehow then I commend them and will buy a copy.

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  20. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Nope, not remastered. The band was happy with the current mastering. 140 gram. Grey. Cool art print tho.

21. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

What's all this have to do with Fiona Apple? ;)

GentleSenator likes this.
  22. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Listening first time now....Wow this pressing is a stunner! So open and large sounding with ease (kinda like the 45rpm Music Matter pressings imo. It's the way that 45rpm fidelity seems to give that effect) that I don't get with 33. Using a Shure M97xe with Jico HE cart, puts Fiona right there in the room. I think the Nagaoka would etch her vocals maybe a little too much though.

23. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Quite a great review of Tidal up at Pitchfork this morning.
    Definitely worth your read:
    Fiona Apple: Tidal Album Review | Pitchfork
    An exemplary review, really. The writer, Jenn Pelly, took great care with it.
    If I could write reviews, I would want to write them like this. Cheers, RH

RelayerNJ and mikeyt like this.
  24. Dan33185

Dan33185 Dylan/Cohen/Adams/T. Buckley/Holly

25. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

mikeyt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.