Fire at Great White concert; 100 dead.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, Feb 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

Supposedly the basement is full of water from fighting the fire. Hopefully, no one was down there either.

BOB

2. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Story on NPR this afternoon adds to the complications. A singer from another band who played there up to 20 times said he had pyro with "real fire" that reached the ceiling. The spotlight is on the sound proofing material that was installed to cut down on noise complaints apparently. The NPR story said that whoever manufactured and who installed the sound insulation might also be targeted for prosecution.

The lawyers are already all over this. There's talk of class action suits since liability insurance won't cover those who have been charged with crimes.

And the bodies aren't even buried yet.
    Dan C

3. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Also, isn't it a bit ironic that one of the owners is also a reporter for the same TV station that taped the "feature" on nightclub safety? I don't see any connection there, other than a conflict of interest.

I could see a hungry, conspiracy-minded attorney somehow twisting it around as being arson (brothers want to get rid of club, let a rock band set off pyros, "accidental" fire starts, convenient TV featurette being filmed to get the evidence on tape, etc., BUT nobody counting on the fire spreading so quickly).

You can just about figure that the careers of at least the club owners is over, if not the band's. What's confusing now is that the band has a history of using pyro allegedly without permission at other clubs recently. And now we have proof that other pyros were used at this same club contrary to what the club owners are claiming.

It's amazing, and incredible, that as of right now, none of the hospitalized survivors have passed on.

4. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

And let's all hope/pray that it'll stay that way.

Dan C

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Many are praying...God help those poor souls. What a nightmare.:(

6. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I also find it intriguing that, according to the authorities, the band have been completely co-operative in their investigation, yet the club owners have so far been reluctant to answer their questions.

7. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

They've only owned the club since 2000, but still you would assume they've established a documentable track record on dealing with pyro. It also appears the acoustic damping material is a key, and could further their liability. Depending on the type of HVAC, it may have been particularly dry in the club, making interior materials even more flammable.

I don't know how it will pan out leagally, but would have to assume that every dime of insurance and assets between the club and the band may be up for grabs. Doubt anyone will have enough liability insurance to cover the damages for pain and suffering.

doug

8. -=Rudy=-

I know the band has, but did they ever locate the band's manager? Last article I read on the weekend mentioned they hadn't found him yet.

9. reechie

reechie Senior Member

10. Mike

Mike New Member

Whether that quote appeared on the web site appears to be open to debate. It started with the NY Daily News and then was put up on Blabbermouth.net. People monitoring the Great White web site said it was never there. This from melodicrock.com:

Another important note - a very disturbing Net rumor suggests Great White will pick up their tour in a few days with a replacement guitarist. Unfortunately one major rock news outlet is helping spread the rumor.
    Not true. I've heard from band management today and the truth is the band is back in Los Angeles and are devastated by the events of last week. I'm told "....it will take some time for everybody to recover."

11. reechie

reechie Senior Member

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030225/ap_en_mu/nightclub_fire

Entertainment - AP Music
    Great White Subpoenaed in Nightclub Case

By ADAM GORLICK, Associated Press Writer

WEST WARWICK, R.I. - Members of the band Great White have been subpoenaed to testify before a grand jury that will investigate the nightclub fire that killed 97 people last week, authorities said Tuesday.

The grand jury will convene Wednesday, law enforcement authorities said on the condition of anonymity. One official also said investigators have searched the home of one of the club's owners.

The developments came one day after thousands turned out to honor the dead at three separate memorial services.

Investigators have been trying to determine who is to blame for Thursday's inferno, which was apparently sparked by the band's pyrotechnics and swept through the one-story, wooden building in just three minutes. The band has said it received approval to use the special effects, but the club's owners have denied giving permission.

Attorney General Patrick Lynch said the owners, brothers Jeffrey and Michael Derderian, have not answered investigators' questions since the fire.

"I believe the Derderians might be able to provide some answers that may assist all of us," Lynch said late Monday.

Kathleen Hagerty, an attorney for the Derderians, said the brothers provided information to West Warwick police and have arranged to share information with the attorney general.

The pyrotechnics apparently set fire to soundproofing behind and above the stage. State law bars flammable acoustic material like polyurethane foam from the walls of gathering spaces like bars.

"If it was (polyurethane), then the governor's going to want an answer to the question, 'Why was it there?'" said Gov. Don Carcieri's spokesman, Jeff Neal.

Paul Vanner, who described himself as a sound engineer and stage manager at the club, told The Boston Globe and the Boston Herald he warned Michael Derderian three months ago that pyrotechnics were being used by bands in the club and the practice should be stopped.

"I told them, 'I don't know those dudes from (expletive)'," Vanner said. "They are lighting fires in your club. Tomorrow they're gone. Tomorrow we're here. I can't guarantee safety in your club."

Soundproofing experts who have seen video of the disaster say they believe the material used at the Station was polyurethane foam, a commonly used, inexpensive alternative to fire-resistant panels many experts prefer.

"It's a common mistake many people make, not evaluating their materials," said P.J. Nash, a national soundproofing distributor in San Diego. "Polyurethane foam is extremely flammable, and if you breathe that smoke, it's going to knock you out in a minute."

A polyurethane panel typically costs about $150 while a melamine panel, which experts say withstands heat, sells for nearly $250.

The club passed a fire inspection Dec. 31, but it wasn't clear if the soundproofing material was checked or would normally be looked at during a routine inspection. Fire Chief Charles Hall declined to comment on the investigation.

Authorities have begun interviewing employees at nightclubs in other states where employees say Great White used pyrotechnics without notice.

At the memorials, the focus was on the victims.

"This state is like a close-knit family," said Tricia Colon, a middle school teacher who attended Monday night's service at the West Warwick Civic Center. "If you don't know someone who died or was hurt in the fire, you know somebody who knows somebody. It's that closeness that's going to pull everyone through this."

It was standing-room-only at the 2,000-seat center, just a few miles from the charred ruins of the Station club. In nearby Warwick, about 400 people sang hymns and prayed for the victims at an interfaith service. And hundreds more attended a prayer service in Pawtucket.

Among the crowd at the civic center were school bus drivers who had worked with victim Robert Reisner, 29, and drove his bus to the service.

"There is no doubt in my mind that he was letting people out of the club in front of him," Danny Manns recalled. "He was a gentleman."

At St. Gregory the Great Church in Warwick, one pastor asked grieving families to hold up pictures of their lost relatives so mourners can "know for a moment those you loved."

"It's true that some good may come from this disaster, but the event itself is only tragic and will never make sense," said the Rev. John E. Holt of the Rhode Island Council of Churches. He saluted families for their "quiet courage."

The governor ordered state agencies to fly the Rhode Island state flag at half-staff. Carcieri also asked President Bush to declare the fire a state disaster, which would make Rhode Island eligible for federal aid.

About 80 survivors of the blaze remained hospitalized Monday; about half were listed in critical condition.

12. The Smoking Gun has released Jack Russell's Great White performance rider.

The band Great White's performance rider contains no mention whatsoever of pyrotechnics being used during the rock group's current tour of clubs and small theaters, The Smoking Gun has learned. TSG today obtained copies of the band's rider from two separate promoters who booked shows by the group during the past month. A copy of the Great White performance specs can be found below. A third promoter, Domenic Santana, told TSG that the band set off a pyrotechnic display without his permission during a show in Asbury Park, New Jersey last Friday (2/14), putting the "lives of a lot of people in danger." Santana, owner of the Stone Pony, said that he "had no idea" that pyrotechnics were part of the rock band's show and pointed to Great White's standard performance rider, which makes no reference to pyrotechnic displays...Owners of The Station, the Rhode Island club...released a statement claiming that they, too, were never told about Great White's pyrotechnic plans.

The Smoking Gun site contains photocopies of the 9 pages in the peformance rider. Nadda thing about pyrotechnics. This could get ugly. :(

13. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Death toll now at 98....:(

ED

14. -=Rudy=-

It's amazing, isn't it? The band is being totally cooperative. The club owners aren't. What does *that* say to all of us? :mad:

15. Ed Bishop

And still aren't, if the Boston press is to be believed. Even sadder...

Yesterday, the number of dead went to 99:(

ED

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Ed-The Grim Reaper...My heart goes out to those poor souls and their families...So incredibly sad. A FL Police Officer friend of mine...his brothers best friend was at the club and perished. This tragety reached out beyond the site...

17. Ed Bishop

*BUMP*

I was hoping never having to do this....sadly, a 100th victim was claimed yesterday, after hovering near death since February 21st. Five victims remain in hospital, with one still in very critical condition.:cry:

And now the band plays on.....

ED:(

18. Johnny C.

Johnny C. Ringo's Biggest Fan

Re: *BUMP*

Yup, Great White is still touring. Unreal...

19. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Re: Re: *BUMP*

Probably the only way they'll be able to afford future court costs and liability suits is to go back to work.

20. Ed Bishop

Re: Re: Re: *BUMP*

No doubt. The word is they're not being named in the criminal suit that is being filed against the owners of the club, but of course that still leaves civil litigation, and that's going to be costly, no matter what. Can't help but think the timing's a bit early, though...

ED:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.