First CD releases 1982-83?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by flashgordon, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcathro

dcathro Forum Resident

Fantastic!

I have a couple of 820 series Black Face discs, but have never seen a Red Face, and have never heard of one from anyone else. All the Red Faces I have seen have been 82 or 83 releases.

The Green Mercury discs seem to have been relaced by the atomics almost immediately.

The thing about dealing with what happened 25 years ago, is its like piecing together a Shirlock Homes mystery.

If I had a time machine, after fixing all the worlds problems, I would go back and look in record shops to find out what was available. :)

Do you collect early discs generally, or mainly Abba?

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I have never heard of such a controversy. There are no promo markings on either version of the "Brothers in Arms" single (i.e., the two cover variations). The back insert with both versions has a barcode. Both versions are quite rare, though. It's been said that the "Live in 85" and "Live in 86" versions were limited to 200 and 500 copies, respectively.

3. KeithH

David, an interesting orange-coated Polydor disc I found awhile back is Tony Sheridan Meet the Beat. Have you come across this one? It's a West German pressing with catalog number 819 926-2. Based on the catalog number, it's a later issue than the typical 800 XXX-2 orange-coated discs we see. A notable difference is that that aluminum (non-coated) ring at the center is much wider on the Sheridan disc than on the earlier 800 XXX-2 discs. That is, the orange coating does not run as close to the hole on the Sheridan disc. I'll have to check, but it may be a PDO pressing.

4. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Who was it said, "Those who choose to ignore history are doomed to repeat it?" :D

Let's go back in time: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=1902426&postcount=102,
    and the response of a Gort who should be near and dear to you, Keith! :)

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=1902515&postcount=103

The John Martyn site I linked to above has moved, but the page I was referring to can now be found here: http://www.johnmartyn.info/?q=node/370, and there is an NME review that refers to Martyn having the first CD single here: http://www.johnmartyn.info/?q=node/616.

I still find it strange that Island would have made such a claim if the Dire Straits disc had been a commercial release.

As for Wikipedia, it also seems to think that the Straits disc is a promo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD_single. I have no idea where they are getting their information from, though.

It looks like this puzzle still has some way to go before it can be resolved!

5. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

It wouldn't be made by PDO -- I haven't seen any coated CDs made sufficiently late to be made by them. Anyway, it's catalogue number suggests it came out before the Abba CDs from earlier in thread, which were in the 821 series.

In terms of what I collect, it's pretty much all early Abba but the group's CD actually represent a great way of figuring out what went on back then as it is a small sample of CDs, which went through all the phases and had a gradual release schedule, which is known, so they can be dated accurately.

6. KeithH

Well, I have posted many nuggets here over and over and over again. :D

As for the Dire Straits CD single, I guess I should defer to Wikipedia. Wikipedia is a treasure trove of useful information that represents the ultimate truth and serves its subjects favorably. :rolleyes:

7. dcathro

dcathro Forum Resident

Understood!

Do you know if they were released as a Red Face as well as the blue.

8. dcathro

dcathro Forum Resident

I haven't seen that one Keith! Does it have a release date?

9. audiospirit

audiospirit Active Member

Actually possible ABBA Greatest Hits W.Germany was released earlier than 52nd street.

10. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Where does that come from? As I understand it, the first CD produced off of a production line was manufactured in Hanover in August 1982, and it was ABBA's "The Visitors". However, the first CD's sold were the CBS/Sony discs in Japan in October 1982, and the first item number 35DP-1 was given to 52nd Street.

Never heard anyone say that ABBA's Greates Hits was released before 10/82.

11. Where does Frank Zappa fit in there? He was one of the first champions of the digital domain AFAICR. I have a hard time finding the release date or year of his first London Symphony Orchestra CD, which was a special release (= different from the LP version of vol. 1 & 2), even on the FZFT page!!

12. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

LSO was NOT FZ's first CD, that was Boulez Conducts Zappa: The Perfect Stranger. It was released a few months after the EMI Angel LP, so either at the end of 1984 or beginning of 1985 (depending on which discography you believe).

As for LSO, it was released on CD in September 1986 according to: http://lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/vinylvscds/index.html

13. audiospirit

I just got this one.

14. audiospirit

I have this CD, Japan for Europe pressing

15. KeithH

David, the Tony Sheridan disc and inserts do not show a copyright date. The disc was pressed by PDO. In fact, the back insert says "CD is manufactured by PDO Hanover, West Germany". It came in a smooth-edge jewel case.

16. heliokt

heliokt Forum Resident

Hi,

Just out of curiosity, wasn't 35.8P-1 JULIO IGLESIAS / DE NINA A MUJER released in 1984?

Thanks,
    Helio

17. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

No, only The Visitors was the first released in red IIRC.

18. KeithH

I don't know for sure, but that certainly seems reasonable.

19. KeithH

I don't quite understand your post (sorry), but ABBA Greatest Hits Vol. 2 and Super Trouper were originally released as orange-face discs by Polydor.

20. heliokt

heliokt Forum Resident

Thanks Keith.

Now this is a bit confusing, Ivan's excellent list on the second or third post of this thread shows that Julio Iglesias cd was released by October 1982 in Japan. Any chance that you (or Ivan) could help to clarify :confused: ?

Thanks,
    Helio

21. waldo

waldo Forum Resident

it was 1982 yes

22. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I don't know about the US and Japan, but in Europe, the compact disc format was launched in March 1983 only, with about a hundred titles available (including imports). So even if CDs were being manufactured in Europe in the second half of 1982, they were not available in european stores until March 1983.

I could scan a list of March 1983 titles from an old german magazine

23. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

I have enjoyed reading this thread!

24. dcathro

dcathro Forum Resident

Please do Claude!

25. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

That's interesting. I've never seen them. I was referring to the coating colour in earlier post. I presume the original you refered to would be what I have called red throughout the trend or is there yet another coating colour out there :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.