First Ever Country Rock Song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by klaatuhf, Jun 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Spoonful definately had some country influences but they were predominately pop/folk bar a few CRish tracks but nonetheless worthy of a mention.
    Aha "The Fireballs". Apart from "Sugar Shack" and "Bottle of Wine" i'm afraid I know little about them so I shall investigate further.
    Thanks Mike for your comments re: my listing. If I had given you my whole list i'm hoping you might have seen the odd artist you hadn't heard of before who are also masters of the CR genre and should always deserve a mention - Anyone heard of Mason Proffit? How about "Taos"; "Goose Creek Symphony"; "Stone Country" or "Clover"? All wonderful CR bands who have never got the credit they deserve but were doing equally fine work in the genre in the late 60's.
    Thanks Mrqwerty for the mention of Ian Matthews who I agree is the UK father of CR, probably followed by the Brinsleys until I can find someone inbetween and talking of Ian Matthews everyone should check out his classic solo album "Valley Hi" which was produced by Mike Nesmith! One of the finest CR records ever made and of course Matthews band just prior to that album, "Plainsong", had an equally brilliant CR/Folk album as well.
    Please keep up the wonderful discussion folks without the intrusive, seemingly never ending, disagreements. Please let sleeping dogs lie and move on.

Mr.Qwerty likes this.
  2. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Everly Brothers came to mind.

What about Ray Charles?

Mr.Qwerty likes this.
  3. klaatuhf

Yep that would be an early one too but its not one that ever springs to mind when I think of the Byrds Country Rock songs but it should. Maybe its because of its kinda "throwaway" lyrics that it dosen't merit serious attention but I guess theres no law that says CR has to be serious or is there? - damn have I started another argument? Maybe Elvis, Buddy, Roy, Jerry Lee, Carl Perkins and Johnny Cash all got together in the 50's and had a meeting and decided that seeing they had invented Country Rock (but we won't call it that till 1968) we should ensure it has to be a serious genre! They agreed but their friend Roy then says "But hang on guys I just wrote me a goodun called "Oobie Doobie"......
    Sorry people, couldn't resist a final rebuttal. Its just a joke.

4. Henry the Horse

Henry the Horse Active Member

And this from the guy who wants to "let sleeping dogs lie?:laugh:
    I'm confused here. Are we after a particular song, or band?
    I thought it was the former.

Another thought on the origins of CR.
    We're talking Country-Rock here, are we not?
    The music of the 50s wasn't "Rock". It was "Rock N Roll", right? So, if we're going to split hairs and be precise in defining the term, "Rock" didn't really exist until the mid-late '60s.
    Therefore it couldn't merge with country until that time period.
    "Rock n Roll" in the early days had a strong country influence in it, no doubt. But it was never referred to as Country Rock.
    I think that calling it that now is just revisionist history.

5. klaatuhf

As I said I was joking. Aussie humour and all.
    You're probably right about the term "Rock" but I ain't bringing up that can of worms!
    Yes I did want a particular song but no one has suprised me too much with something I didn't already know and it might well be those Beatles tracks being the earliest with the CR feel until some obscuruty turns up. So then I thought I might keep the thread alive by mentioning some bands now that the "song" concept had bit the dust but looks like not many people are interested unless it involves an argument. lol
    Oh well I did get a lot more interest than I thought I would. I may try a thread on CR albums but it will probably start another genre argument all over again!
    Thanks for your informed comments Henry. Much appreciated. And Mike & Mrqwerty too.
    See ya all in a new thread!

6. Henry the Horse

Henry the Horse Active Member

Aw, come on. Ya gonna give up that easily?
    We haven't gotten to the bottom of it yet!:laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.