First impressions of the Nagaoka MP-110 phono cartridge

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dividebytube, Mar 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I have one on a Rega p1 which was the table Rega replaced with the RP1. No problems with it on this tt. Are there lp's it does not stick on? Try adjusting anti-skate? Try adjusting vertical tracking force? Do you have a VTF gauge? Clean the stylus after each side played? Just thinking of possibilities.

2. wrighty47

wrighty47 Forum Resident

Yeah, tried all of those, and a friend, who has a RP1 as his 2nd TT, is having the same problem.
    Yes, there are loads of LP's it plays fine. Probably about 95% of them. Just can't figure why it would stick on certain LP's that have played fine on my TT with other carts, and play fine on other TT's, and was wondering if it was a cart/arm/TT combination problem of some sort.
    One thing I should add, is that when it does stick, it will then play through some of them if I set anti-skate to 0 whilst record is spinning (at the point it sticks). The baffling thing is that it's always around the same place on each record it does it on.
    Thanks anyway,
    Alan!

3. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

I have a Nagaoka mp-110 on my Rega RP1, and I can't remember it ever sticking or skipping. If it's not the anti-skate setting or the vertical tracking force, and your stylus is clean, I don't know. Maybe your stylus tip is damaged? It's really weird that you would have sticking AND skipping problems at the same settings. Good luck.

4. wrighty47

wrighty47 Forum Resident

I think the skipping one is just a damaged LP (it was one given to me and I was told it played fine). The sticking (it actually jump backwards) is happening to 2 different people, both with a RP1. Looking to get together and try each others LP's to see if same thing happens on each others TT's. Will keep you updated.
    Again, thanks.

5. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

wrighty47, if you can very much pinpoint the spot on those particular records and even if you can't get a visual on something in a groove use a toothpick to try to dislodge "something" > I've been using toothpicks on records for decades and only once was I not able to solve a problem. I've yet to damage a record with a toothpick - vinyl is much tougher than the wood of a toothpick - I find the light wood color Diamond brand to work the best if they sell that or its equivalent in the UK.

6. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

Please do keep me/us posted. Like I said, I haven't had the same problem, but if there's something about that TT/cart combo that's problematic, I want to know. Makes me wonder if there's some malfunction with your anti-skating. When you raise the tonearm with the cueing lever, does it come straight up? If you lower it back down, does it hit the same spot on the record?

7. wrighty47

wrighty47 Forum Resident

Okay, so last night we did a bit of a experiment. We gathered all the records that stick on the last track and played them on a RP1 with a Mp-110, a 2nd RP1 with a different MP-110, that 2nd Rp1 with a Elyss, a Project Debut with a Ortofon Red, and a Linn LP 12 with a Linn cart.
    Here's what we found....

Record 1 has a definite mark on it (hard to see but you feel it) and sticks on them all, tho had played through on my RP1 when I had the Elyss in it.... go figure. A newish LP and I'm guessing a pressing fault.

Record 2 looks NM with no marks at all but also sticks on all decks. Can't see or feel anything but there's definitely a fault there

Record 3
    Sticks on the Linn and one RP1 with the Mp-10 but plays on the other (my) RP1 with the Mp-110. Plays fine on the Rp1 with the Elyss and the Project

Record 4 sticks on both RP1's with the Mp-110 and on the Linn, but plays ok on the Project and the RP1 with the Elyss.

So, I'm none the wiser. My guess is that all records have some sort of fault but each deck handles them differently. I'd say the the Nagaoka cart is more sensitive than than the Rega and Ortofon, but record 3 kinda blows that theory out.

Oh, record 1 is a new LP from the Mark Lanagan Sub Pop box set
    record 2 is a 1977 UK Eternally Yours by The Saints
    record 3 is a 1988 House of Love LP
    record 4 a 1974 UK CBS Starry Eyed LP

8. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Frustrating! I'd still try a toothpick. My MP110 only skips on one record. Toothpicked it to no avail, but if I play it on my Technics 1200 MKII with a Shure 97XE with the brush down it plays perfectly.

9. ebro

ebro The Green Manalishi

Since I have an MKII table myself, how do you like the 97XE cart? I currently have the Nag MP-110 and I'm interested in getting a cartridge with a little more treble for when I'm listening to the warmer sounding LP's I own. Was looking into either getting the Shure 97XE with the Jico stylus or possibly getting an Audio Technica cart, perhaps the AT440 or the AT-120, or maybe just maybe I'll stick with Nagaoka and get the MP-200. I can't decide! :crazy:

10. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

This is tough for me to answer! The MP110 is on my Rega table which is a very different breed of cat than the MKII - Rega is a much more musical table - the build theory of both tables is very different. I've bought a lot of carts but the MP110 IS the choice for my Rega - no need to look further - I'll spend my money on records. I had a JICO on the Shure and mysteriously someone snapped the cantilever when it only had a few hours on it - about $170 down the drain! LP Gear has a variety of replacement styli for the Shure made by JICO that rival the SAS - JICO has stopped production BTW! LP Gear claims the other JICO styli give the SAS a run for its money - they cost considerably less and not a heck of a lot more than a Shure replacement stylus - I 'm thinking about getting one of the those. Sorry I can't be of more help. I do much like the 97xe and find no fault with it.

11. ebro

ebro The Green Manalishi

Appreciate the input @CCrider92 ! Since I've been very tight on money lately and I've always read good things about the Shure/JICO combo on here, and I'm pretty sure that's the cheapest option for me at the moment I'm probably going to go that route for now. For the most part I'm happy with my MP-110, but for some strange reason that cartridge always has trouble tracking the last song on each side of whatever LP I'm listening to. When it gets to the last song there's always a bit of distortion and sibilance, even on new LP's. I had the AT LP-120 turntable last year with the MP-110 as my cartridge and I had the same problem on that table as well.

12. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Strange! Never had a problem with the Nag doing that. Have you tried different remedirs > Anti-skate? VTF? Headshell /stylus alignment? Do you use a Technics headshell placement tool? Tried both Baerwald and Stephenson protractors? Just thinking aloud about your problem!

13. ebro

ebro The Green Manalishi

I had somebody come and professionally set up my table for me after I had bought it and they also realigned my Nag cartridge as the placement in the headshell was apparently off, so everything should be set right. I did also have this same issue when I originally had the Audio Technica LP-120 table last year which is basically a clone of the MKII, the last song on each side of whatever LP I was listening to didn't sound as good as the rest of the LP no matter what record I was playing.

14. henry babenko

henry babenko Forum Resident

bottom line is most of these carts become problems..

15. ebro

ebro The Green Manalishi

Well after some tinkering I think I've fixed the issue with the last song on each LP sounding worse than the rest of the record. And since JICO went out of business instead of getting the Shure cart I think I'm going to stick with my MP-110 and replace the stylus with the stylus for the Nag MP-200 as I read on another thread on this forum that it brings out the treble better and actually reduces even more surface noise, which the MP-110 is of course already great at.

16. henry babenko

ebro, I currently have a AT120/B cart. its got great detail, but no bass or warmth at all. so my naga 110 is coming today. I know I need to break it in first. but I hope its better..

17. ebro

ebro The Green Manalishi

Henry, what kind of record mat are you using? I've been using a cork mat for the last year and it's a BIG difference. I did a test with the regular rubber mat included with my table and the cork mat, and the cork mat really does improve the sound. The bass is tightened, the highs sound more smooth and background platter noise is dampened, the music just comes through better. So I think it would definitely improve the bass on your AT120, can't comment on that cartridge otherwise though. I think you'll love the Nag 110, PLENTY of bass and it's a very warm sounding cartridge, and the best part is it dampens surface noise and ticks and pops on your LP's, even worn records sound decent on the Nag. Here's the link to the cork mat I have, there are quite a few out there made by different companies but this is the cheapest one I believe and I've never felt the need to buy a more expensive one!

Amazon.com: (1) New Turntable Toys TC-1 Cork Audiophile Turntable Mat 1/4-inch thick: Electronics ยป

CCrider92 likes this.
  18. henry babenko

a rubber technics one ok got my new 110 today. much better than the one I got from lpgear, that one skipped on every record no matter what weight I had it at. so I couldn't tell how the sound was. I don't think they aligned it correctly,, Now this one is much better. no skips. tracking at 1.5 and it sounds very good. it doesn't have as much detail as the AT120/B, but it sounds warm, first album I put on was dreamboat annie and it sounds very good.. So, I will give it some hours to break in, so what am I to expect when it does start to break in??

ebro likes this.
  19. wrighty47

wrighty47 Forum Resident

Just a update on my issues. The records that stuck on my deck were all down to the records. Now my MP-110 has bedded in it sounds wonderful.
    The other deck that was having problems was down to a (new) stylus that was damaged.
    Can highly recommend the Nag now things have settled down.

ebro likes this.
  20. henry babenko

dreamboat annie is sounding good on the nag. maybe soon I will upgrade to the MP-200 wonder how much better,,

ebro likes this.
  21. henry babenko

ok, did a little shootout between carts. the AT120/b is more detailed than the naga 110, but I just got it today and need to break it in more,, so time will tell, can anyone tell me how much better the 200 is>??

22. ebro

ebro The Green Manalishi

As far as "breaking in" goes I've noticed the Nag 110 produces a little more treble over time while still retaining a warm sound. And there's an LP I've been meaning to get! I would imagine Dreamboat would sound amazing on the Nag since it's a great warm sounding recording to begin with.

Though I've never heard it I've read on here the MP-200 is more detailed than the 110, perhaps it could be just as detailed as your AT120. I'm actually thinking of replacing the stylus on my 110 with a 200 stylus.

23. henry babenko

ok just ordered the 200 and will let you know the difference...

ebro likes this.
  24. vinylfilmaholic

vinylfilmaholic Forum Resident

I received one from LPGear the other day, set in a headshell, plugged it into my AT
    -LP120 and noticed a ticking every revolution. I try cleaning the stylus with a brush and it plays through a side fine for the most part (still hear surface noise) then I have to dust off again. How sensitive is this damn cart?!

25. henry babenko

Well, I got my first MP110 from lpgear last summer and it was the premounted one. and they didn't align it correctly and it skipped like crazy no matter what the weight was set to, now I just got my MP110 premounted from turntable needles and it was fine. I would never get anything from lpgear again.. I would send yours back and keep sending it back till you get one that doesn't do that. cause that's not normal.. They probably didn't aligne it correctly..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.