First Kiss Record you got into & your favorite?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Evil Strawberry, Nov 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I really like this one. AOR KISS rules!

walrus and bartels76 like this.
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

My first was probably Alive or Hotter Than Hell. My favorite is Love Gun.

Evil Strawberry likes this.
  3. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Alive! was the first KISS album I heard and owned. I then picked up Dressed To Kill, and it has remained my favorite since.

4. jeffd7030

jeffd7030 I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.

Destroyer was my first. A friends older brother had it on 8 track. My favorite right now is Hotter Than Hell.

5. MIKEH75

MIKEH75 Well-Known Member

Destroyer was the first and my favorites would be a tie between Ace and Paul's solo albums in '78 both are awesome.

6. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Kiss Alive when I was 5 years old. My Dad brought it home in a Sam The Record Man bag, and I was over the moon. That's the album that opened the door and it's still my number 1 to this day. I'm a huge Kiss fan, have everything they've ever done, but it all comes back to that album. I think I played LP1 for months before even realizing there was an LP2 LOL. I used to stare at the pictures and wonder who the hell these guys were. Lyrics like "...and she takes off her clothes" made me think who was this girl and why was she taking off her clothes LOL.....I was 5.

WhoDaresWins and Old Rusty like this.
  7. mrgroove01

mrgroove01 Still looking through bent-backed tulips

Kiss Alive sometime in late 1975 or early 1976. Just before Destroyer came out. I was not yet six years old. Seriously.

Old Rusty likes this.
  8. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Kiss Alive II. It was such a huge album to me. My friends and I (3rd graders) would all put it on and pretend we were them with tennis rackets as guitars. We did that so many times.

My favorite though is Dressed to Kill.

Old Rusty likes this.
  9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think the first one I got was "Alive!" back on Valentine's Day, 1977 when I was 9. My mom used to make a big deal out of many holidays, so Valentine's Day meant a moderate array of gifts, and she got "Alive!" for me.

I honestly can't remember what prompted my interest in Kiss as a kid. I mean, I know they were popular, but I don't recall what made me want to get any of their albums.

I do know that I loved the music, so I pursued the rest after that - I think I had the whole collection pre-"Love Gun" within a few months, and I got "Love Gun" and "Alive II" right around their release dates in 1977.

And that was it - I never got another Kiss album. I wanted the solo stuff in 1978 but didn't for reasons I don't recall, and by the time "Dynasty" came out in 1979, I'd glommed onto the Beatles and spent all my record money there.

Favorite? Not sure I have one. Although I bailed on Kiss as a kid, I've come to like them again in recent years, but I can't claim that I really like one album more than the others... :shrug:

D.B. likes this.
  10. Trace

Trace Senior Member

The first time I heard KISS was KISS Alive!, home recorded onto one of these...
    [​IMG]
    Alive! is a favorite, but my all-time favorite KISS record would be Hotter Than Hell.

11. sami

sami Mono still rules

First Kiss record you got into & your favorite?

Self titled & self titled.

Haven't been a fan in 40 years, but after the first three and Alive! I was done then.

12. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

None. Ever. I thought they were gimmicky then and never took them seriously. I own ZERO Kiss.

13. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

First was Love Gun - a ridiculous impulse purchase, which I've lived to regret.

As for favourite...having spent several months this year effectively sticking needles in my ears & eyes on a daily basis, I really can't stand the members of the band (apart from ACE) or 95% of their music any more. Not sure what I ever liked about it; compared to the legit rock bands, they were just a bunch of buffoons. But ACE is still cool, so I'll say his 1978 solo, ACE FREHLEY :edthumbs:

14. Jupitermadcat

Jupitermadcat Forum Resident

I was a huge KISS fan in the 70's for around 6 months to a year perhaps i was about 15 . Alive was the first album i bought and my favorite. but i proceeded to get Destroyer, Love Gun and Rock and roll over which inmo is the best KISS albums. for some reason i didn't have KISS alive II back then But now i love it as much if not more than Alive I. didn't get into them after that.

15. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

First one I got was Hotter than Hell, but first one I really liked was Alive. I have listened to a Kiss album since 1979. Wonder how I would like them now.

16. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Revenge was my first one, followed by Alive! The debut is my favorite.

17. wileycoyote

wileycoyote Forum Resident

S/T and then Alive.

18. PyroMessiah

PyroMessiah Forum Resident

My first was Asylum and I played the heck out of it. They became one of my favorite bands as just another normal group. It wasn't until a few years later that I really delved into the whole "classic" KISS stuff, though I was certainly aware of it. Because of that I have some unusual favorite albums when it comes to them. I LOVE stuff like Lick it Up, Unmasked, Creatures, Carnival of Souls and Killers. While I like them, Love Gun and Destroyer are pretty far down the list for me but the debut is pretty high.

carlwm likes this.
  19. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I wish it had a few stronger tracks instead of the filler (mostly Gene's), but the strong tracks on that album are great. I love "Turn On The Night" and even "Reason To Live." Paul really pushed himself vocally on that one, for better or worse. (The songs are in standard tuning, which was odd for Kiss)

carlwm likes this.
  20. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

Dressed To Kill

And that same summer I heard BTO's "Not Fragile," The Runaways debut and Rush 2112! Four albums in a weekend that I needed BAD!

21. erickana666

erickana666 Forum Resident

First vinyls , 3 at the same time : kiss,destroyer, peter criss
    First tape : revenge
    First cd : hot in the shade

I was really impress with destroyer, god of thunder and great expectations were my faborites

From Kiss : deuce, strutter, nothing to loose

From peter criss : at first i saidntonmyself what is that crap !, but after a few listenings i accepted it even ifmisnreally a different style

Revenge : when i saw the unholy video, wow kiss was back with a bang !, i like every songs on this, all some except maybe everytime inlook at you are cool to play on guitar, some fast riffs, cool bridges, great solos from kulick.

Hits : i know a lot of fans dont like it or said its a demo album, but i was hook by rise to it, you love me to hate you, king of heart really great riffs, maybe boomerang is least favorite, its fast but indont like song (like no,no,no) that start with a furious solo, i prefer a solo with melody than a thousands notes, faster that they can.

carlwm likes this.
  22. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Yeah Gene didn't really have a fab unmasked eighties but funnily enough the few songs he deigned to offer up for Crazy Nights, I quite enjoy. Good Girl Gone bad & Thief In The Night are up there with the best songs on the album, for me.

He had a decent stab at Hot In The Shade too, I reckon, with the glaring exception of Boomerang. Frustrating chap, Gene. When he can be arsed, he's a fine songwriter.

WhoDaresWins likes this.
  23. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

My first one was Lick It Up. I bought it after seeing the unmasking on MTV in 1983. That and Creatures are my favorites.

24. moops

moops Senior Member

ALIVE II & Double Platinum blew the doors open to the world of rock for me when I was about nine years old. I'm 49 this year and those two albums still rock my world weekly. Just before participating in the colossal KISS Songs thread here last year, I had a moment where I realised just how much this band has stayed with me my whole life. They matter to me more now than ever. Just bloody great songs !

If put on the spot, I'll run with DESTROYER as my fave .....

Detroit Rock City
    King Of The Night Time World
    God Of Thunder
    Shout It Out Loud
    Do You Love Me

All on one album ?!! Many bands would kill for five songs like that by the end of their entire career.

Tedw9 likes this.
  25. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

The album Destroyer made quite a splash in the UK. An older friend bought it, and that's where I heard it first. Loved it, even if I was a bit baffled by a couple weaker tracks. Nothing was better than Detroit Rock City though!

However, the first album I bought was Rock and Roll Over. It was the only one they had in stock at the local store. Rock and Roll Over remains my favorite Kiss album (thought Kiss Alive is stunning).

Later my buddy decided Kiss wasn't for him, and he sold me his Destroyer. So that was the second one I got, followed by Alive. No Ace Frehley, no Kiss for me - though I include everything that pretended he was on - so everything up to Unmasked for me. After that I've no clue.

D.B. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.