First Kiss Record you got into & your favorite?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Evil Strawberry, Nov 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I was not allowed to listen to KISS when I was a real young kid in the 70's. At the age of 10 or so, my mom finally started letting me listen to "worldly" music. The first KISS cassette I purchased was "Animalized".

In the summer of '86 a friend of mine and myself discovered his old KISS 8 tracks and we listened to them almost non-stop. It was my first exposure to the original KISS. I guess my favorite album is "Destroyer". "Alive II" would be a close 2nd. "Rocket Ride" is an all-time classic, IMO.

2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Alive III was my first Kiss record. Probably around the time of the Unplugged MTV show, which may have been my first real exposure to them, but I think I bought Alive III first.

3. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Alive and Rock and Roll All Nite of course

4. Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac Zooropa... better by design

Summer of 1978...I would have been six and a half. Knew nothing of Kiss or music in general at this time of my life but a friend on my block told me that Kiss was the most amazing thing ever and I had to listen to them.

My Dad and I were at the flagship record store Sam the Record Man on Yonge St in Toronto and there was Alive II, I had to have it and my Dad bought it for me. Took it home and gave it a spin on my Dads stereo, which consisted of a Technica TT, a Kenwood pre amp and a Harman Kardon amp (or the other way around). After listening to the first three songs of side 2, I was never the same. Ace was my guy right from the first picture I ever saw. Still my favourite band in the world.

My favourite is still Alive II but Music from the Elder is a close second. I absolutely know nothing about non make up Kiss and have never listened to the full albums from Lick it Up and up, and never have any desire to.

Jupitermadcat and vamborules like this.
  5. stickyfoods

stickyfoods Forum Resident

Went over to a friend's house in 75 and he put Alive on the table. After hearing it I was hooked and have been ever since.

Doggiedogma and Tedw9 like this.
  6. Jupitermadcat

Jupitermadcat Forum Resident

S/T?

7. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

My first KISS record that I remember was KISS Alive II - my dad brought that home from the library for me on vinyl - that was the late 70's early 80's.

Doggiedogma and Tedw9 like this.
  8. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

S/T, Self Titled, First album (usually, but not always)

BrentB and Jupitermadcat like this.
  9. 2414Studios

2414Studios Well-Known Member

Animalize was my first one (on cassette) and probably due to Heaven's on Fire (for years being the only song I knew from it), but my favorite is Asylum, my second purchase (at the time of its release and on cassette as well)

Doggiedogma and carlwm like this.
  10. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I really like Asylum though it's not universally popular with fans on this forum.

I notice you're a new member (welcome!) so you might not have spotted the KISS song by song thread which is a mammoth read but very entertaining. It's been indexed now so you'll be able to read everyone's opinions on Asylum & every other KISS album!

Bananas&blow likes this.
  11. Steven0001

Steven0001 Well-Known Member

First and favorite: Destroyer.

I’ll never forget the day when I went to the record shop with my mother (I was around 7 or 8 years old and the record had been out for perhaps a year) to buy it. I had heard Rock and Roll All Nite (on a restaurant jukebox of all things!) and loved it so much that I asked my mother if we could go and buy a KISS album. The Destroyer cover had me entranced as soon as I saw it and the record itself blew me away.

I probably listened to Alive II more often in my childhood and early teens, but Destroyer will always have my heart. :D

12. sandimascharvel

sandimascharvel Forum Resident

I’ll never forget, when I was 8, my friend played Destroyer for me at his house. Soon after, I got the LP at the Greenspoint Mall in Houston Texas. It remains my favorite Kiss album.

If anyone here hasn’t heard the 2014 remasters, it is one of the best remastere campaigns I’ve ever heard. Outstanding. I bought everything hi res from 1974-1981 from ProStudioMasters. They have the best customer service by far. They came out on LP also and only Love Gun came out on CD. Just a heads up, Creatures is the 1982 version with a remix of the title track and bass cut on the rest, definitely a different sound and vibe, so I stuck with the remastered CD.

Bananas&blow and 2414Studios like this.
  13. digdug67

digdug67 Hockley's Hits Here!

The first album I ever bought of any group was Rock and Roll Over when I was a kid!

14. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

First was both Ace Frehley and Alive II in 1978.

Favorite is Alive! but if we're talking only studio LPs, Hotter Than Hell or Creatures of the Night.

carlwm likes this.
  15. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

First Kiss album - Kiss Alive II

Favorite Kiss album - Dressed to Kill

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  16. ethansdad

ethansdad Forum Resident

I was never much into KISS until I saw them in concert in ‘85. Bought the Animalize album before the show so that I would be familiar with their latest stuff.

Favorite album - Unplugged

2414Studios likes this.
  17. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Double Platinum, followed by Alive!

18. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

First was Destroyer. My young eyes were definitely drawn to the cover art first and foremost. I loved it and still think it is very good but that one has been eclipsed by....

Favorite: Rock N Roll Over. I just love it. Every single tune, the production, all of it. It epitomizes that KISS sound to me.

Doggiedogma and Haggis Wampovich like this.
  19. mcchocchoc

mcchocchoc Forum Resident

Love Gun was my first, got it shortly after it's release. The first album is my favorite (followed closely by Dressed To Kill).
    For years now, when I get the urge to hear Kiss I only pull out one of the first few albums.

carlwm likes this.
  20. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I really like early KISS but these days I don't listen to much pre Dynasty apart from Paul's solo album.

mcchocchoc likes this.
  21. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

My first was Love Gun. Got it for .50 at a neighborhood garage sale in around '82.
    My favorites have become S/T, Destroyer, and The Elder.

carlwm likes this.
  22. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Good taste!

BrentB likes this.
  23. mcchocchoc

mcchocchoc Forum Resident

Pretty much same for me, adding Ace's solo album.

mark winstanley and carlwm like this.
  24. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Dynasty was my first
    Destroyer my favourite

25. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

First and favorite...the debut.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.