“First Man” (2018)—Neil Armstrong story - from “La La Land” director

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Monosterio, Aug 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident Thread Starter

Damien Chazelle’s new film, a Neil Armstrong biopic covering the years leading up to the Apollo 11 mission, is premiering Aug. 29 at the Venice Film Festival. It’s scheduled to be in theaters Oct. 12. (And right here I’ll admit Chazelle is my favorite filmmaker to emerge in the past decade, so I’m really psyched about this.)

Here’s the trailer:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    SandAndGlass, Chris DeVoe and alexpop like this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I would like the moon landing it's never been done .. In a movie ( no not Capricorn one) in fifty years what with cgi surely it could be recreated ?

Ghostworld likes this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

A prequel to "Apollo 13" without Tom Hanks? No sale!!! ;)

Karnak and dprokopy like this.
  4. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I saw the trailer for this and thought, surely there’s been a movie about Armstrong and the moon landing before? It seems like there must have been something, but the astronaut movies I can think of were about other people and missions (Apollo 13, The Right Stuff...).

The Revealer likes this.
  5. woody

woody Forum Resident

Requisite poopooing naysayer aside, I do look forward to La La Land and Whiplash follow up, as should anyone interested in cinema.

Apollo 13 movie was great but Tom Hanks does not have a monopoly.

6. alexpop

Didn't like LA La land.

7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You realize when there's a ";)" emoji involved, that means the comment was a joke, right?

8. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

They faked it the first time with no CGI.

Frederick Mars and Scope J like this.
  9. alexpop

Black & white :D

10. woody

woody Forum Resident

Ha! Not at all. Cruising the forum on a 5s limits my perception.

Btw, Touch of Evil is now on Netflix. Everyone should check out the first 5 minute shot at least. It is incredible.

GLENN and trumpet sounds like this.
  11. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Not a fan of LaLa but looking forward to this.

12. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

pretty sure there are no dance numbers in this one

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. alexpop

Soundtrack no doubt suck. :D

15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Quite the stylistic switch-a-roo for Mr. Song and Dance. Obviously a two-script man. Probably someone wanted pretty boy Ryan and cut him a deal to shoot this script if they got Ryan. I hope it sucks. I didn't like either of his phony baloney movies. Whiplash sucked. So did La-La-Land. But if someone else wrote this script, then it might be good. No a bad visual director, but a lousy writer. I didn't buy Whiplash for a second.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    DHamilton likes this.
  16. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

As someone who grew up with the space program, this looks horrible. I hate the modern style of film-making that takes this out of the historical feel that is appropriate, trying to mimic the look of the era with a modern thundering melodramatic soundtrack, and lots of over-acting moments to show the "dangers" of it all.

EVOLVIST and DHamilton like this.
  17. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I’m looking forward to it. I loved Whiplash. I thought La La Land was very good but not as good as Whiplash. I am also a sucker for space movies. It has to at least be worth seeing, for me.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

:rolleyes:
    I never understood the mentality of people who actively hope the creative endeavors of others will fail. Not your cup of tea? Fine, no one's forcing you to watch it. But really, what purpose does it to serve to actively hope that someone else's hard work will crash and burn?

19. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

A must see for me - for the subject matter, not the director, particularly.

P.S. Those family scenes in the trailer look depressing.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

You obviously never worked in Hollywood: "Where's it's not enough to succeed; you also want to see your competition fail." Working into Hollywood is like being in final year of law school, you're out to screw everyone else to get to the top. That's the way it is, that's the way it will probably always be as most people in competition are 21-years old Ivy leaguers, fresh to LA, full of piss and vinegar, playing a no-holds-barred game, based on schmoozing, contacts, and balls.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    SandAndGlass and Vidiot like this.
  21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

22. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I really like Ryan Gosling's work, but I'm just not nuts about about seeing another "US astronaut" movie . . . I'd rather see a sci-fi space movie (e.g., Sunshine, Moon) than a docudrama. Just a personal preference.

GodShifter and Ghostworld like this.
  23. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

The hard part of any story about Neil Armstrong is that he was such a steely nerved badass, that it's hard to come up with "drama." Apollo 13 had the same issue, where they had to invent a scene of them yelling and arguing, when in reality they just calmly, rationally went about "working the problem." They have a bit in this trailer of Neil nearly dying testing the lunar lander simulator (aka the flying bedstead), and his reactions in this situation were downright inhuman - how does an audience empathize with someone like that?

EVOLVIST, in-the-groove and Deuce66 like this.
  24. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I know that if I was in charge of the space program, very high on the list of qualifications would be the ability to keep your **** together if things start to go wrong. I don't think any of them fit the profile of loose cannon :cool:.

I know that I wouldn't want this guy in the crew even if he's right.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  25. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Same here. There's enough stylistically interesting stuff in his work that that I'm sure he can eventually produce something great, which neither La La Land or Whiplash were.
    I'm 57, and those family scenes look perfectly accurate for the time.

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.