First pressing John Lennon Imagine

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave, Sep 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

I'm almost sure this has been covered here before, but here goes...

The "Imagine" CD was originally issued in the UK and Japan with a transfer off of the wonderfully hissy original tapes. In Japan, the disc was issued in both standard silver and "Eternity Gold" [24kt. gold] versions. After these discs had been out on the market for a very short time, EMI discovered No-Noise, and immediately remastered the discs, using the rather heavy-handed application of the process that we all know today. I beieve only the initial run of UK discs has the un-processed version.

With the possible exception of some early advance discs (from the initial CD masters), there are no US-made discs that feature the unprocessed version. By the time the US release was realized, the masters had already been switched.

A good reference source for all of this is ICE magazine, which covered all of this as it was happening, and whose back issues I have floating around here somewhere...

(By the way, IIRC there were **two** Lennon titles that were speedily re-mastered this way-- I think "Rock & Roll" was the other...)

-Kevin

2. John Hatter

John Hatter Senior Member

No , the other was "Shaved Fish". I bought them both as soon as they were issued in the UK, there were complaints about the "hiss" and EMI then reissued both discs and offered an exchange to early purchasers ( how about that !) .
    I took them up on the offer and exchanged both discs for "improved" versions. Its so long ago now that I cant tell you what the differences were, but I remember not being able to hear much difference on my very early CD system. Wish I'd not done it now :D

Cheers
    John

3. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Ah-- thanks for the correction, John-- couldn't remember off the top of my head. :)

-Kevin

4. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

Rocky....I have that same disc..just found one recently...mint condition..(mine is an "AR 1A4 TO" pressing....) your description of the sound on this disc is right on.....it sounds fantastic...very open..as open as this recording can be.....those clicks on the first track are a sure way to tell if you have an original pressing that was not no noised.....all later pressings removed those clicks..and also Georges "4" on the intro to "Oh My Love"..also deleted from later pressings. Wheather you have a Japanese issue or a UK issue the design on the discs are the same..mfg by Toshiba EMI...only the UK disc has the UK CD-PAS 10004 markings under the box with the catalog number and the word "Stereo".
    The knock in "8 Arms To Hold You" about this disc being too hissy and the no noised version better is one of the few dissagreements I've had with that book...all I can say is I'm glad I found one of these....

JF

5. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I have been keeping up on this thread, and just a few comments. The gold disc mentioned earlier is actually quite a bit different than the Toshiba disc in question, different master or something. I have heard the gold disc and I have compared it in a direct A/B comparison to my Toshiba and the gold disc has the reverbs on John's voice, that Phil Spector "wall of sound." As far as I know, the Toshiba is the only disc I have heard that contains the no-reverb version of Imagine. Another thing, since there is no dis-agreement that this Toshiba exists, does anybody know how many were pressed in that short period that they had this master in their possesion. I am very curious because I haven't come across very many of these Toshiba Imagines, and it does go so good with the Toshiba Abbey Road. Actually, the Toshiba Abbey Road is by far the Best version of Abbey Road in existance, bar none.

6. vinylrec

vinylrec Senior Member

I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but the CDP 7 46641 2
    CP32-5451 pressing (see scan above) also has the "clicks" on the 1st track & George's "4" on the intro to "Oh My Love"....

7. Evan

Evan Senior Member

You have to be careful if you are looking for the Toshiba/EMI pressing of Imagine. I bought a copy that the same booklet and inlay as the the one posted by Vinylrec but had the later NoNoised Disc in it :( I gave it away.

Later I found and bought both the regular (original)Toshiba/EMI disc and the Gold Disc version. Much better!

8. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Well, I've just checked mine.....

My copy of Imagine, even though it has a "manufacturer property not for sale" sticker on it is the no noised version.

My version of Shaved Fish is the Toshiba version with all it's hissiness.

I remember thinking when I got the Imagine CD how much better the title track was without all that nasty hiss...

Ah, hindsight is not necessarily a wonderful thing. Just done an a/b test with Imagine (clicks and hiss) from Shaved Fish to the No noised Imagine CD.

You know, you folks are right.... it sounds so much better!

Nobby.

9. Steven

Steven Senior Member

Be aware that "Imagine" on the non no-noised Shaved Fish is not the same as on the non no-noised Imagine CD. The Shaved Fish one has more distortion/clicks and is brighter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.