First song on the radio you heard with swearing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NiceMrMustard, Mar 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

I once had a 45 of "Volunteers" with "We Can Be Together" on the flip. When it got the to "Up against the wall part...", backing vocal harmonies (ahhs) suddenly appeared in an effort to mask the "offending" words. Wish I had never given that piece of vinyl away!

2. slosaint

slosaint Forum Resident

May not have been the first one, but the one that made a lasting impression was Lennon's Working Class Hero.

3. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

Our local alt station used to slip in the *f* version of "Creep" by Radiohead, which is so appropriate for that song's feel. Anyone could be "you're so very special." I used to hate to hear that on the radio.
    That's my earliest [actual] memory of hearing a swear word on the radio.

4. John54

John54 Senior Member

Fine, but 1971 is "around 1969"; I just couldn't remember exactly. But thanks for your help!!!!!!!

mrjinks likes this.
  5. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Where I was working someone insisted we listen to 'Youth Radio' Triple J and this song was playing when they changed the station. When the swear word came on the radio was switched straight back to GOLDFM

6. Odieman

Odieman Forum Resident

My first was probably "Bad Bad Leroy Brown", but the most surprising was hearing "Star Star" by the Rolling Stones on the radio in Ottawa during the early eighties

7. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

:confused:

That was mine. :agree:

8. Coppertop Tester

Coppertop Tester Forum Resident

I wasn't born yet, but the original version of "Big Bad John" by Jimmy Dean ended with the phrase "one hell of a man", so I imagine some folks here may have heard it when it first came out in 1961. Growing up in the 70s, I only heard the clean version which used "a big, big man". However, I have heard the original a few times on SiriusXM during the past year.

Folknik likes this.
  9. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

No, the uncensored version was never played on the radio back then. Not sure if it was even released before the CD era (I first heard it on a Rhino/Billboard CD).

Coppertop Tester likes this.
  10. jamie anderson

jamie anderson Active Member

Oh bloody, oh bludah by The Beatles.

11. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Blondie's Heart of Glass. I felt embarrassed when she said "ass".

John Adam and EVOLVIST like this.
  12. Coppertop Tester

Coppertop Tester Forum Resident

Ah, ok. I didn't know about it until stumbling across it on YouTube one day and when it was described as the original version, I assumed it actually saw commercial release. It's funny that the hit version still allowed the phrase "man-made hell" though. LOL!

Folknik likes this.
  13. dlm1129

dlm1129 Forum Resident

I remember in 1969 being shocked hearing 'hell' in "And When I Die" by Blood, Sweat & Tears. Maybe it was partly due to the context of "I'll swear there ain't no heaven and I'll pray their ain't no hell". Kind of dark and shocking to my 8-year-old Top 40 ears in those days. Times (and me) have definitely moved on.

14. "Margaritaville" - Jimmy Buffett.

"...And I know it's my own damn fault."

I was 4-years old and I remember looking around to make sure that nobody saw what I heard. :)

15. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I thought the same thing when I was a kid. I don't think I heard it correctly until I was a teen.

16. Steven_Hada

Steven_Hada Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure most of the AM stations in Northern California that played Shaft in 1971 cut the "Damn right!" The first time I heard the D word was during the early '70s, Kingston Trio's Greenback Dollar heard on an AM station in Sacramento (KCRA 132) that played a mix of contemporary mostly softer rock/pop top 40 hits and oldies going back 15 to 20 years. "And I don't give a damn about a Greenback a-dollar, Spend it fast as I can...". Then there was Tie A Yellow Ribbon, number 1 song of '73, and Sister Golden Hair in '75. By the mid '70s damn had gone mainstream.

17. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

Steve Miller Band - Jet Airliner

I always thought "funky kicks going down in the city" sounded weird until one station played the album version vs the censored version.

(Just noticed this song was already mentioned in an earlier post)

keyXVII likes this.
  18. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

"One of a Kind Love Affair" is a really odd one-- It sure sounds like he's saying "You just got to f$%^ her", but why was that on a single?? Atlantic was concerned enough to put out a censored version.

19. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

When the uncensored version of The Kingston Trio's "Greenback Dollar" finally made it to the airwaves. Damn!!!

keyXVII likes this.
  20. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

My real introduction to profanity in rock music was the Woodstock movie and Country Joe McDonald.

Bigbudukks likes this.
  21. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

My first awareness of censoring of a pop song was on Australian radio for "Snoopy Vs The Red Baron" on the word "bloody" (as already mentioned by Mylene) and not too long after was the bleeping of the word "Christ" in "The Ballad of John & Yoko" which is all pretty lame when you consider no one censored "Who Are You" by the Who in 1978 with it's F Bomb so noticeable..It amazes me still that radio or TV (at least here in Oz) never noticed it. The word "****" in "Heart of Glass" and possibly also in ELO's "Don't Bring Me Down" always made me raise an eyebrow. The first song that completely took my breath away as being devastatingly over the top foul was Marianne Faithfull's "Why D'Ya Do it" which no one has ever got close to for sheer vulgarness along with total bitterness & anger. But overall I've never liked strong swearing in songs and find it completely unnecessary..there are many other ways to make an angry point. So don't get me started on modern movies lol.

22. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

It shows up on the 12" version, but not on the single version that came out on vinyl. I never heard the "pain in the ***" version on the radio. :)

23. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

My father had the 8-Track. Perhaps it was that version I remember?

24. NiceMrMustard

NiceMrMustard Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't believe Lynne says "a--" in Don't Bring Me Down.
    Snake in the grass is the lyric I remember.

John Adam likes this.
  25. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

same here. I guess the Pusher came first, but I never heard a REAL expletive like CJoe, I didn't know they allowed such things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.