Fish (Ex-Marillion) Remasters - Any Opinions?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Runicen, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just attempted to do that and it kept attempting to link a shared gallery rather than the image itself.

2. Sir Talbot Buxomly

Sir Talbot Buxomly Forum Resident

I'm on it....

Thoughtships likes this.
  3. Sir Talbot Buxomly

4. Sir Talbot Buxomly

Actually, ^that sounds terrible, even compared to a 320kbps mp3 version I made. There's no bass weight to it at all. :(

In an unrelated matter, is there a limit on filesize uploads to DropBox? The wave file of Big Wedge is 60Mb, the 500kbps OGG is 29Mb, and the 320kbps is 19Mb....

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    Thoughtships likes this.
  5. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Cool to hear that version. I thought I had that 12" single but I don't. Just the 7" and CD single. Wish a better version was available.

6. Sir Talbot Buxomly

Well, the 12" vinyl is still available...

7. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Yea I know. Might get one off eBay or wherever.

8. AdrianSoundchaser

AdrianSoundchaser Forum Resident

Any news on if the live Sushi tracks will be on the new SFTM? The version of Bowie's Five Years is pretty good.

In fact, add Sushi to the list of live albums worth getting. I think that's the only place to get a live Poet's Moon.

ytserush and Thoughtships like this.
  9. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

I use postimg, has worked for me so far...

Runicen likes this.
  10. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

Never heard this version before. I like it a lot! And why is this version not on my CD single?!?

11. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

Yeah, I know! As I said earlier in this thread, I've always been annoyed that the album version was used for the CD single... And that not once in 26 years has it been released on CD. :(

12. JulesRules

I thought Fish was planning to reissue the earlier albums as well? Maybe you can talk him into including it!

Thoughtships likes this.
  13. Thoughtships

We'll, I have spoken to him a few times and was thinking exactly that. So I'll Facebook message him later and report back if I get any news...

ytserush and JulesRules like this.
  14. JulesRules

You know, I like it when artists allow this kind of fan interaction. Rather than complaints arising when the tracklisting is already finalised and everybody complaining about missed opportunities et cetera.

I'm thinking of preordering the new MC box set from his store (I suppose I'll get the opportunity to get the other Marillionaire's signatures later, e.g. when they do "Brave", plus it's an album about Fish anyway) and when I'm there, I might just look at one of those remasters as well :)

By the way @Runicen, my foobar plugin still works. Is it true that it has expired?

Thoughtships likes this.
  15. Thoughtships

Not sure what the limits are on Dropbox etc. I know I had an account once. I'll look into it.
    Thanks for posting it, though. I haven't heard it in 20 years! I got one of "those" websites to rip your video back down to MP3. Nice to hear. Very swishy on the treble, and a bit thin, but I really appreciate you doing it, even at that quality... Please let me know should you do a full quality WAV rip.... :)

Sir Talbot Buxomly likes this.
  16. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident Thread Starter

I attempted to install it and was able to get as far as it showing up in Foobar, but then got a dialog box saying this version was expired and to download the newest from a link that didn't work. I've seen other posts referring to this - I gather that the development of the plugin in that form was discontinued. I wonder if yours is an earlier version that lacked that time-out "feature."

JulesRules likes this.
  17. Sir Talbot Buxomly

Well, here it is. I was mistaken earlier when I said it was 60Mb - it's actually 84Mb. :yikes:

Should be a lot less swishy. Get it while it's still on my Dropbox....

Dropbox - Fish - Big Wedge 12inch.wav

Mike Riding, Runicen and Thoughtships like this.
  18. Thoughtships

Thank you very much!

19. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Thanks for this.
    I was going through my scans of the 7" and 12" singles I have done and it seems I only have one 12" for Fish that is not a picture disc, and that is The Company. I have the CD single for it also but scanning those glossy cover 12" covers makes the image look so much better when reduced down.

Pat

20. AdrianSoundchaser

Fantastic. Thankyou. Never heard this before.

21. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

22. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I forgot about that. Been a while since I pulled that live album out.

The only soft spots for me are the Songs From The Mirror-Suits period and the Fellini Days-Field of Crows period. I think the rest are stone cold classics. Field of Crows remixed might make a difference to me

23. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Ask him if he'll come to the US and do a spoken word tour after he's retired.

24. tsead

tsead Forum Resident

Thank you!

25. AdrianSoundchaser

Could anyone who's bought the remix have a listen to the end of 'The Field' and tell me if there's an audio fault. I noticed it on headphones last night but I assume they're all like that. A couple of dropouts.