FISHER all-tube receivers from 1961-66 are cheap and sound wonderful!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Tedster

Tedster Forum Resident

Vintage speaker crossover networks have paper/foil capacitors too, that tend to go "leaky", or electrolytics that short or dry out, just like amplifiers and other old school equipment. Replacing these will really bring them back to spec.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. canonlon

canonlon Forum Resident

Is there a place in the Toronto region where Fisher amp can be restored?

3. tuttle

tuttle Forum Resident

There's an independent shop dealing in vintage equipment on Nassau St. in Kensington Market, called Vintage Stereo. It could be worth asking them.

4. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I bought some oil capacitors for the crossovers, just have not installed them yet.

5. Tedster

Tedster Forum Resident

You're in for a treat .. I've never been much for the audiophile extremes, but have experienced some amazing sonic "holograms", on a local college FM radio station of all things.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  6. rxonmymind

rxonmymind Forum Resident

Great thread and has me definitely interested in a Fisher. Unfortunately, from the original intent of this that thread Mr. Hoffman started, these are no longer the deals they used to be. Easily $1k for a fully restored unit and with nos tubes Mullards/Tele running $125+ each. What's that make a Fisher then? $1500-$1800?
    But! They seem great to own by the many positive responses in this thread.
    May in the near future pursue one to pair with Klipsch Belle's I'm running.

7. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Set your sites on one of the integrated amps, which go for a less than the receivers. I bought my recapped '59 X-100 for just $400 last April, and I liked it so much that I eventually sold off my 400. It's a wonderful little amp!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. rxonmymind

Great except for aesthetics reasons I would not get one. Great thinking though.

9. action pact

Really? Put it in a wooden cabinet, and it would look terrific (unless you really need that backlit tuner dial).

[​IMG]

Aftermath, Simon A and crestwood23 like this.
  10. ROFLnaked

ROFLnaked Forum Resident

I agree with A-Pact; I have a 400cx2 preamp and a 202r tuner from this same period, and they look like a million bucks with the original wooden cabinets.

action pact and Simon A like this.
  11. joshbg2k

joshbg2k Forum Resident

On a somewhat unrelated note, I have a Fisher X-1000, and the faceplate is pretty rough looking. I'm thinking about creating a replica, down to the silkscreened printing. What metal is the faceplate made of? It seems like steel, but not sure how I'd recreated the brassy finish.

12. rxonmymind

Hey, that looks nice. But I do like the backlit birds and seeing the tuner dial.

13. action pact

It probably is brass, if yours was made prior to 1960 or so.

14. joshbg2k

joshbg2k Forum Resident

I think it's right on the line of 1960. Hmm, maybe I'll really take a crack at this. I'll start a new thread about it if I do.

action pact likes this.
  15. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

16. ROFLnaked

ROFLnaked Forum Resident

The handsome and superior 202r tuner--which can very reasonably be had--says hello.

[​IMG]

Aftermath and Bolero like this.
  17. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

Bought my Fisher 500C a few months after this thread started in 2010. Best purchase I ever made. I cant thank Steve enough for starting this thread and recommending this incredible piece of equipment. Mine came with the original receipt. Purchased in Portland, OR in March 1966. 50+ years and still going strong!!

18. rxonmymind

Jealous!!!:righton:

19. bklynbass

bklynbass Forum Resident

+1 on the integrated amps. I bought a 1964 KX-100 with the original cabinet a few months ago for $500. It could probably use new caps but it already sounds great. Unlike the non kit x-100 versions I've seen, the KX-100 includes the incredible headphone stage that the receivers have. While there's no tuner, you can pick up a Dynaco FM-3 for $100 or less (which I did a month later) which sound amazing.

action pact likes this.
  20. Flyquail56

Flyquail56 Forum Resident

Agreed, the FM-3 is a terrific tuner, I have 2 of them. In addition, the Fisher KM-60 is also a winner for not much more than the Dynaco, and of course has the benefit of matching cosmetics to many of the Fisher integrateds.

21. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

As much as I love vintage Fisher tube amps, you should also be checking out HH Scott amps from the same period (which are still very affordable on Ebay...as of now.) Just a word to the wise. ;)

22. rxonmymind

:tiphat:

23. 575maranello

575maranello Forum Resident

I just picked up an 800B
    Can't wait to have a listen

24. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Are you in Toledo by chance? I saw one up there last week that I had my eye on.

25. 575maranello

575maranello Forum Resident

nope Akron area.....the one I founds from Washington

Dennis0675 likes this.