FISHER all-tube receivers from 1961-66 are cheap and sound wonderful!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Volleyguy7

Volleyguy7 New Member

My x101-d has the exact same output transformers as 500c but a smaller power transformer. In theory the 500c should sound better? My fav in stock was the x101-d but this could be issues with the 500c. The x101st was let down by very cheap coupling caps. Easily fixed but costly.

The x101-d was the last tube integrated Fisher made. So likely some cost cutting in power transformer. My tech guy did not like the cathode bias power supply at all in that unit. My is fixed now.

What is very interesting is even back in the 50's and 60's they knew bigger beefier coupling caps were better. I also own an partially restored x202 which has (I hear) the same pre amp as CX400?

x202 vs. x101st both el84 is bigger power and output transformers in 202 plus much beefier coupling caps.

Starting with the weakest amp on rebuild was a great way to go. If I failed I still had my favourite Fisher!

What makes the 500c sought after? I suspect the West German Vishay ERO. I could not tell them apart from Ampohm new copper caps. (which were about $30 each)

The Duelund, Jensen, Jupiter and VCap Cuft all MUCH better. (Duelund RS best bang for the buck in all of them but not cheap!)

2. Volleyguy7

Volleyguy7 New Member

Mr.59

Is your Kx200 tube rectified? I replaced my vintage power supply cap with a Jen electrolytic. Not good... Very dry. So something maybe with these old electrolytic's? Generally bigger and more liquid.

After a month the vintage cap went back in and all good. Not sure what I will do when it needs replacing? One of the test amps I redid with a motor can (huge) poly power supply. (ugly amp anyway) Had a slight hum so not enough time listening to comment although more bass.

I know crazy stuff but I just could not understand how this old relic made speakers come alive! What is the essential ingredients?

I am curious what you guys think?

1. Paper bobbing output tranny's?

2. vintage power supply caps?

3. point to point wiring

4. paper in oil coupling caps

5. vintage tubes

6. combination?

I know many think it was those old tubes. I have found the new Gold Lion 12AX7's to be every bit as good as my tons of old tubes. Well better as the old ones are retired. I have new Tung Sol and Electro Harmonix 7591a's and both are good. Plus a sets of vintage EL84 and 7591's and the tubes are the least important to me. I know that will upset people who want the magic to be in some vintage tubes.

My choice is #6 really all of the above except tubes.

3. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

4. SandAndGlass

Both of your amps are push-pull design. Now you know what they sound like. :)

action pact likes this.
  5. SandAndGlass

BTW... I just bought a restored 500c last week. It's all good.

6. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I own use a Fisher
    I like the Gold Lion 12ax7 reissues too. In my opinion one the best new tubes made. I still use and love the RCA black plates and Telefunkens too. I own and use a Fisher 500c, X-100-C, and Harman Kardon A500 so I have plenty places to plug in tubes.

7. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Speaking of vintage speakers, I just grabbed some vintage Fisher speaker from my local GW. They are in good shape...cloth surrounds look good, even the grills are in good shape. I haven't tried them yet. Anyone familiar with these?

8. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

Fisher made an awful lot of speakers, so we're going to need at least the model number. Or pictures if the labels have been ripped or are unreadable.

9. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Yes, sorry, I though I included that. I believe they are model XP 6 or XP 6b. Two way acoustic suspended design.

10. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

After reading this thread, I was on fire to find one. What I found is this - they may be wonderful, but nowadays are anything but cheap. The going rate for a Fisher 400 in various states of repair/disrepair is $800-1,300. The 500's are up from there. The 800's, especially the tubed ones, attempt to reach stratosphere...

11. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Don't give up hope. I found my 500b at a record store about 18 months ago for a reasonable price. It's given me the most enjoyment of any piece of electronics I own. Scour Craigslist, Offer up, Let go, Ebay etc. Tag sales, estate sales, flea markets too. According to what I've read, Fisher sold about 100,000 of the 500c's, so that model might be the easiest to find.

12. Benzion

I'd prefer the 400 for lack of AM, but if 500's are easier to find - I will keep an eye out.

13. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

If I'm not mistaken, the 500b and 500c were FM band only. The 500c had a headphone jack, 500b did not. The 500b had the cool " magic tuning eye". The 800 was AM / FM. I believe both 500's used 7591 output tubes...( the 800 may have too, but I cant remember for sure ) Those sound really sweet and can be readily found for not a ton a money. I recently bought a quad for less that $100.00.

14. Benzion

Thank you.

15. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

You are correct. The 800C was a 500C, with the addition of an AM section. So both had 7591 output tubes.

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I have a 500c, 800c and a 500b that I will part with. (Keeping my 800b). Only thing is, local pickup only. Ya have to come over to get it. Anyone interested, PM me.

sberger and IanL like this.
  17. rtalwani

rtalwani Forum Resident

PM sent.

18. Benzion

It's a long taxi ride from Brooklyn...

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Too bad....at least as far from Connecticut...lol. It would be cool to have a unit once owned by Steve.

20. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Ugh...tweeters do not function ... a common problem on this model from what hear. I popped out the tweeters and was able to pull the very simple crossovers through the small hole. My guess is that the caps in the crossovers are shot, but I don't know for sure. They were only 10 bucks so I wont feel too bad if I cant get them to work. BTW... the woofers on these Fishers look very similar to my KLH sixes.

21. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

I bought an 800C last week and so far I'm loving it. Most of the tubes are Fisher/Telefunkens except for a few.

The power tubes are all GEs

The AM tubes are GEs as well but I'm not too worried about that.

The FM-AM IF Amp tube is an RCA as is the FM RF Amp tube.

I've been listening to a lot of radio with this amp and was wondering if it would be worthwhile to find Fisher tubes to replace the RCAs?

Also, how are the GE 7591s regarded?

Thanks,

Chad

Cassius likes this.
  22. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Do not change the tubes in the tuner section unless you know somebody qualified to realign the tuner. Assuming you don't, and you can't, leave them be. RCA's are great tubes, particularly if they are black plates.

You can roll the phono, preamp and phase tube without any issues, but I wouldn't. Those are some good ones you have.

GE 7591's are great also. Pray that they last you a long time. NOS replacements are not cheap, and Euro new production are ok but they are not the same as the vintage one's you have.

Sit back and enjoy. That is a GREAT receiver.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  23. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

Good to know. Thanks, you saved me money! :)

I think one of the tubes is a black plate. The other I think is a grey plate.

Chad

24. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

ive been scouring the local ad's for a fisher for a while and nothing..today i find a 100b that's been recapped and serviced for a similar price of a rogue sphinx v1 that another guy has (600ish usd)
    would the 100b have enough juice to power kef q100? isn't it under 20w?

25. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

The X100-B is a terrific integrated. I like it more then my 500C. More classic tube sound then the receivers, imo. I love mine. It has about 25-27 watts. Plenty power for me to power AR 2ax's, but I don't listen super loud and my room isn't that big. That price might be a tad high, even though it's been restored, unless the tubes are all originals/vintage, and/or it comes with a case.