FISHER all-tube receivers from 1961-66 are cheap and sound wonderful!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

seller has a case for additional cost, i may msg them about the tubes the only ones i can make out are the rear tubes and they all say fisher on the glass
    ad says "us made " tubes

2. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Those rear ones are the 7868 output tubes, and if they test strong, that is great. They are not easy to find. New production ones are good, but like the 7591's they can't beat the originals. My 100-B doesn't have vintage output's, but it still sounds amazing.

3. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Congrats on the 800C. I have a 500b and it's my favorite piece of equipment. The original GE 7591 tubes are great, but if they blow the Russian made ones are widely available and sound quite nice. I bought a quad a year ago or so for about $100.

4. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I don't know about the X-100B, but the original X-100 has about 12-14wpc. I am able to drive speakers that are 85-87dB efficient in a small room with it, and it sounds great.

I sold my 400 after getting the X-100, so you can see which one I prefer!

5. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

great to hear, i'm in a small room and the kef are upper 80s DB if i recall.

think ill msg them bout the cover and the tubes being vintage, right now im running a vintage yamaha amp but i crave that deeper tube sound.

6. action pact

I see you have a Yamaha CA-810.

I used to have a recapped CR-1020, which was very nice... but Fisher tubes will stomp all over a Yamaha in terms of tone, imaging, nuance, etc.

7. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

Yes it’s developed a hum which means it needs service so what better time to buy a new toy :D

Plus I’m sure the phono stage will be a huge Improvemt , though the 810 is nice because it has adjustable phono stage with 2 mm and 1 mc

8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I'm not sure it will be a "huge improvement", but it will be different, and very nice. And as I indicated above, you can roll the phono tubes to help dial in the sound you're looking for.

9. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

I use a step up transformer between my turntable and the phone stage of my Fisher. I'm using a mc cartridge so I needed a step up. It sounds great! When I switch to an mm cart I'll go straight to the Fisher.

russk likes this.
  10. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

Heard back it’s a mix of new, used and nos American made tubes from sylvania , fender, bogen
    The pictures look nice, fully serviced and recapped...the price based on eBay sales does seem a bit on the high side though at 600 and no metal case I’m thinking low 500s is a lil more fair and keeps me out of trouble with the wife hah

11. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

12. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

13. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Tubes sound good.

The price is a bit high, but given that it's a local sale you save on shipping, and you don't run the very real risk of damage during shipping. See if you can get a listening test, bring your favorite cd. Bring $600 in cash, but see if you can haggle him down to $550 or so.(assuming you want it). Vintage Fisher pieces like the X100-B don't diminish in value, particularly if they've been properly restored. And if it has, other then the occasional tube swap/replace, you should be good to go for many years. Definitely get a list of what updates he did, and if he did any updates/mods, get a schematic of his work. You'll thank me in the future for this.

Good luck.

Rentz likes this.
  14. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

thanks. and you answered my worry about maintenance required over time, if its just tube swaps i can manage that :)
    he did offer me to come over listed and test out all the tubes, listing went to OBO so i'd wager i can get it 550 and get that back later selling if i dont want it / use it

15. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I mean anything can happen with gear this old, so don't hold me to it, but generally my experience with my own stuff, and people that I know, is this stuff is pretty low maintenance once updated correctly. That last part, of course, is the big variable. Which is why you want to get a schematic from him, if possible, for the work he did. In the event something goes wrong, and you can't bring it back to him(and you should ask him about that) and you have to bring it to a local tech(or ship it somewhere) and he did some updates that are, er, creative, the tech will be able to decipher what's going on and fix it. This happens more with kits, like the Dynaco stuff, when people tend to modify the original to upgrade it. But it can happen on any of this gear so better to have all the information at your fingertips. Really try to get in writing what he did for the restoration.

Other things to look for include are the knobs original? Are they working freely without any static/noise. Is the balance between channels accurate, particularly at lower volumes? Vintage Fisher's are notorious for issues related to the on/off knob, which also controls volume. They get worn out and consequently once channel will play louder then the other at low volumes and won't even out until the gain reaches a certain level. Not a big deal for most...just adjust the balance. But you should be aware before you buy. Check the tone controls, check the phono(if he has a turntable) for hum, check the other inputs for hum. Ask him what he set bias for on the output tubes(should be 44V according to the manual).

Anyway, that's a few things to kick the tires. If everything checks out, grab it. Really fun amp.

action pact and Rentz like this.
  16. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

17. action pact

That's the same ones I use on my X-100. I think I bought them direct from China, for just pennies; hunt around on eBay too.

18. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I used to use them, not just prefer bare wire. I'm careful with it so as not to cause any shorts, but I feel that I get a better connection. Of course, if you use 12 gauge or lower, that's not possible. I'm a 14 gauge man myself.

19. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

12 here. One of the first noticeable differences I ever noticed in terms of gear was changing the gauge of cables.

20. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Can anyone who has ever sent their unit in to be spruced up send me a PM. I have a question about the process. Not the refurbishing itself, but the actual process of sending it in, etc. Thanks.

21. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Regarding the on/off volume knob. As sberger points out these tend to fail over time. Not just on Fisher units but also on some McIntosh receivers like my Mac 1700. I turn both on and off by using a very inexpensive switch purchased at Home Depot.

I agreed...if everything checks out....go for it!

22. ehtoo

ehtoo Forum Resident

Al Pugliese " The Fisher Doctor" has a perfect solution to the on/off volume switch repair. Used it on my 500B.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  23. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I was actually researching the x-100b yesterday. The difference in that and the x-100 is that it’s not tube rectified and is 24wpc. It also has a headphone jack, I’m not sure if the 100 does.

Its not real easy to find good specs on the 100b.

24. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

The X100 does not have a headphone jack. It's a sweet amp though. Looking forward to owning one soon myself.

This is a pretty good analysis on the X100-B run by Analog Engineering Associates, a restoration shop here on the West Coast.

http://aeaaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Fisher-X-100-B-PR3.pdf

Dennis0675 likes this.
  25. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

That's exactly what I found yesterday. Hi-fi engine had next to no information.

I would be more interested in the 100 myself just for the tube rectification.