FISHER all-tube receivers from 1961-66 are cheap and sound wonderful!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 27, 2010.

1. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

If you don't mind driving up to the Hartford area, Mike Urban can fix it for you.
    Urban Antique Radio & Vintage Hi-Fi repair

WHitese and Wally Swift like this.
  2. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Well respected in this area. If my Fisher has an issue, that's where I'd bring it.

Wally Swift and action pact like this.
  3. russk

russk Forum Resident

Could also box it up and ship it to NOS Valves. That's my go to in the Northeast. Craig the guy that runs it has to be the most honest, no BS guy in the business.

4. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

action pact likes this.
  5. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Wally Swift likes this.
  6. robargebl

robargebl Forum Resident

....and I only live about an hour away from him!

russk likes this.
  7. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

8. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

9. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

When I bought my 500b a couple of years ago I rolled some brand new Mullard tubes in the phono section. I figured it would be an upgrade from the original Fisher branded tubes.I

Silly me... I put the Fisher tubes back in a couple of weeks ago. The original Fisher branded Telefunken's sound much much better. Ill save the Mullards for back up. Ill stick to Telefunken's going forward....assuming I can find them.

baconbadge and rxcory like this.
  10. paul cbc

paul cbc Senior Member

Agreed - Telefunken 12AX&'s work well in the Fisher phono stage. Imo, you want a neutral and open tube in the Fisher phono section-it's good just a little dark. In a pinch, older Ei 12AX7's work well too.

Enjoy your 500B!

Dennis0675 likes this.
  11. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

The title of this thread should probably be changed to...

FISHER all-tube receivers from 1961-66 WERE cheap and sound wonderful!

12. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Well I did buy an 800-C right here in the classifieds last February for $500, so you never know!

rxcory, gorangers and Dennis0675 like this.
  13. ncwalz

ncwalz Forum Resident

Also got an 800c for about $550 last week.

gorangers and DigMyGroove like this.
  14. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Wow....those are awesome scores. I bought mine almost 3 years ago at a record store near by. The owner also sells audio equipment.

He wanted $500 for the 500b with walnut case. The receiver is near mint and has all original Fisher branded tubes. Not sure if the output tubes are original, but they are vintage RCA's. I'm not sure if Fisher branded the 7591 output tubes then.

He let me trade in a few pieces of equipment I had picked up cheap along the way at GW, flea markets etc. The 500b cost me a little over $200 cash. There are still deals out there, but you have to look and be a bit lucky too.

Sugar Man likes this.
  15. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I use to own a 500b but lost it in a burglary in the early 1980's. It was a wonderful sounding unit. The problem now is that they over 50 years old and will require most of the maintenance that any valve amp from that period will have to have. If you are up for that, than I say go for it if you can still find one that hasn't been thrashed due to poor storage or moving damage.

16. russk

russk Forum Resident

I had a guy I used to work with offer me 1450.00 for my 500c but he also wanted all the NOS tubes in it last week. It has a pair of RCA black plates in the Aux position, pair of Matsushita in phono, and Tung Sol black plates in the phase inverter. The rest including the hard to get FM tube are a mix of RCA, Sylvania, and Tung Sol.

I'm ashamed to say I was tempted and thought about it most of the day. In the end I decided it would get me a big chunk of the way toward my final system but figured I'd end up regretting it. That and my youngest son has already laid claim to it.

When I told him he could probably easily get a nice restored one for that price he proceeded to show me more than a few "refurbished" ones with crappy tubes and in mediocre cosmetic condition for close to what he offered. Can't believe how much they've gone up in price. Forums like this kill deals. Which is why I usually refrain from all the tube discussions. :laugh:

Manimal, Aftermath and action pact like this.
  17. action pact

I am SO GLAD I grabbed a recapped '59 tube-rectified X-100 a few years ago for a mere $400! I don't think I will ever let this one go.

[​IMG]

rxcory, bklynbass, Manimal and 5 others like this.
  18. russk

russk Forum Resident

I'm actually looking for one of those right now. Figure it will be fun project and fun to use while I'm saving up for my Mac system. I did come across one at the beginning of this year but it had been restored out in LA and the guy wanted 1200 for it. They are getting ridiculously rare.

19. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

You cannot go wrong with any Fisher having 7868 or 7591 power tubes for 30 watts out. You see, our modern speakers are not as efficient as many old vintage speakers so those 15 watt output Fishers may not 'get it'. But, at an average of newer speakers at 86dB, the 30 watts will drive them to about any level needed in a listening room. And, the RCA or Sylvania 7867/7591 are very good sounding power tubes! I do highly recommend Russian K40Y-9 paper in oil replacement coupling caps to bring out the best sound in these Fishers.
    Another odd fact is even mediocre 12AX7s sound good in these Fishers and I do not know why because no other vintage amps I have rebuilt do not sound good with 'trash' preamp tubes. Try Chinese 12AX7WB in the preamp and Sovtek 12AX7LPS in the phase inverter and it sounds good- go figure. But, the phono section needs a real good tube. Westinghouse 12AX7 short & narrow center bump plate gets the job done for cheap ($60/pair for NOS). Just a tad warmer than Brimar CV4004 box plate that cost $125+ each. Westinghouse sounds about the same. The Fisher with K40Y-9 is absolutely stunning compared to factory stock coupling caps. (Sorry if I bore you, but I am just 'supercharged' on these vintage Fishers).

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    russk, Aftermath and action pact like this.
  20. action pact

Yeah, the early tube-rectified X-100's are not especially common. I was not aware of that when I bought it, I just thought it was cool, and the price was right.

I bought it with the intention of using it in a second system, but when I swapped it in place of the throughly overhauled late '60s Fisher 400 in my main system, I was stunned by how good it sounded. Better even than the 400, which I sold shortly afterwards - and that 400 was damned good!

russk likes this.
  21. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Avery Fisher and company knew what they were doing designing these amps and receivers. They were meant to compete with McIntosh and Marantz back in the day. Quality components were used and quality control was not just an afterthought.

I agree that using high quality ancillary tubes ... especially in the phono section and phase inverter is a must.

For the outputs I'm using vintage RCA 7591's but the new Electro Harmonix Russian tubes sound very nice too. It's a larger bottle, but they do fit in my 500b. A quad can be had for around $100 so pretty affordable if your vintage ones stop working.

22. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

I'm curious to know how you did with Urban. Anything you'd like to share?

23. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Everything went well. The price was good, it took a little over two weeks to finish the job and the receiver is working and sounding great. He even sells records at his shop! Highly recommended.

action pact and gorangers like this.
  24. action pact

My Fisher has a new fan...

It was making a high-pitched whining noise, so I placed it on rubber isolation blocks. Now I only hear the whirring of the blades, which doesn't interfere so much.

The underside of the shelf above is not getting so hot now, and I do not feel a lot of heat wafting up from the left side of the rack.

[​IMG]

25. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

That's great. My 500b runs great, but I wonder if I should bring it to him for a checkup.

Did he make a repair or was it in for a checkup or for upgrades?

Yes, I've been to his location. He sells records and some equipment too.