FISHER all-tube receivers from 1961-66 are cheap and sound wonderful!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Funny, my wife asked me if I wanted another one for my office. Gotta love that woman so stay out of her way, she's COMIN' THROUGH!

A tip from me: Wait on bidding. I hear in about two weeks a trusted dealer is putting a nice 500B, 800B and 400 up that have been restored and will be in "buy it now" for less than $500.00 each. Very good prices.

Whatever you do, don't get this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220590903566&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Smells to high heaven if you ask me. No description, no idea if any work was done or replacement parts used, no mention of what tubes are in there, no nothing. And they are selling its wooden case in another auction, different eBay name, same location and same broken English. I HATE IT WHEN THEY PIECE OUT A VINTAGE PIECE OF AUDIO GEAR. They probably are selling the original Telefunken tubes in a different auction as well. Don't take a chance. The output tubes are mismatched. Could cost you $250.00 more or so in restoration fees later.

So wait..

2. mloops

mloops New Member

Thanks.

3. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

Thanks for the heads up on these receivers. I've been reading up on old tube gear that might fit a budget and the old Fishers seem really nice. If I ever decide to mess with tubes I'll keep these models in mind. Cheers!
    --------- Chris

4. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

I'll heed your cautionary warning. FWIW, I emailed the seller of the above receiver and this is what he said in reply to my inquiry about work done and the tubes:

Dear Dennis :
    Exactly is I don't know ,because I bought at garage sale 3 month ago . I check and the first owner let me know he changer only 2 small Resistors , it under 7591 tube .some tube original and some tube is no .because item over 40 year old .
    - 7591 tube : westinghouse , sylvania , rca and dumont .
    - 12ax7 tube : rca , sylvania , raytheon , electronic .
    - 6au6 tube : fisher and electronic .
    - 6aq8 tube : fisher .
    thanks

My little girl is on a "Yellow Submarine" jag of late and the phrase "steer clear!" has leapt to my mind in regards to this auction.

5. Steve Hoffman

Well, he probably paid $50.00. He's just trying to make a buck but still, there is a restoration in that receiver's future and he parted out the case which really sucks. You are paying $350.00 too much in that auction.

6. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

That's cool of you :righton:

I tried for the 500C that was sold by the guy who did the Stereophile review. It had been worked on and was in, presumably, impeccable shape, but it slipped out of my hands. I put in my max bid with 8 seconds to go and someone a bit craftier and less risk-averse (I've had a few auctions where the final bid submit page has taken TOO many seconds to load & the bid never went through!) won it with *6* seconds to go, $10 over me. I'd love a 500C or 800C as I really want the headphone option. Thanks for thinking of others!

7. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

Talk about memories. :love: That 1964 Fisher is the exact one my father bought and I spent countless hours with it while growing up.

8. Waynefi

Waynefi Confused over the confusion ?

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts. Yes it is 10 guage, I moved my stuff around to the side wall and ended up with 20 feet. No loss at 20 ft can I tell, though this is with a fairly powerful NAD Master Series M3, which is why I asked the question.

9. Waynefi

So Steve, can we get some kind of a secret word or handshake so we can identify these when they are up and by who ?

10. Waynefi

The 400 that Sushimaster posted this morning looks like that guy does it right, at least sounds like it, from little I know. He seems to have built this from the idea of original sound , but also with some extra safeties built in ?

11. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

The seller tele12ax7, I have him booked marked in my favorites.
    He seems like he does restorations the right way! If I had some extra dough, I would try some of his stuff.

IMO, I think the most important thing he does is put in a CL-90 in-rush current limiter to protect and extend the life of the tubes.

Would be nice to own some vintage Scott, Fisher, Mac or Marantz tube gear, but I'm content restoring my meager Dynaco tube amps.

- Sushimaster

12. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

What was the power output of the 400, 500 and 800 series receivers?

13. Steve Hoffman

14. inperson

inperson Senior Member

A friend offered his nice clean, but not minty, Fisher 400 for $300. Should I? He says it still has the original Fisher branded tubes.

15. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Not super clean I guess but looks like it could clean up well.

Attached Files:

16. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

If it's in original condition, it probably will need restoration (capacitors, replace weak tubes, FM alignment, cleaning of switches & pots, etc)....which will cost more $$ in addition to the $300 asking price, to sound its best. Unless you do it yourself to save some money. But yes I would pull the trigger.

- Sushimaster

17. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I need something to do when I am home for the summer:)

18. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

AWESOME post steve:righton: Very informative and interesting. Was quite a read hearing about this vintage unit. How about combining it with some 1960s Electro-voice EV-6s with the 18" woofer:D

19. Steve Hoffman

20. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

VERY cool.....but....Im still in love with my lil old HK_350i (( 20 watt per channel solid state )) theres just something about that thing..I cant part with it.:D

21. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

22. Steve Hoffman

Wish I had a pair.

23. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Honestly didnt think they sounded as good as how the guy on that site raves about them. Still very good sounding but he goes a bit overboard. Limited power handling, and a bit of a limited very high end. Good smooth sound overall, and great midrange and smoothness over the bass range up through the midrange though! Awesome sounding on earlier recordings that have a very natural recorded sound. But size wise just way too big and too hard to position.

Way better than most Klipsch speakera honestly but without the super high efficiency of them.

24. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I brought my "new" 800b home yesterday. Have not even had a chance to hook it up yet. I don't think I stole it for $400 but it was recently checked out, a couple of resistors and tubes replaced and in good working order. And I didn't have to pay for shipping, and I can go back to the seller if there is a problem with it. The faceplate is very clean with none of the lettering worn off. One of the black switches has been replaced with one that does not match, will need to find a replacement for that.

It was purported to be "mostly original tubes" but seems to have many Westinghouse tubes, and at least some other non-originals. But I haven't checked them all. Were the originals branded "Fisher"?

25. Steve Hoffman

By late 1961 all Fisher units had tubes branded: "The Fisher". Both input and output tubes. The weird numbered input tubes were usually GE or RCA but the 12AX or AT7's were always Telefunken. They had a deal with Fisher. Not because they were wonderful (they were) but they offered them to Fisher for practically no money.

People have been removing good Teles from Fisher gear for 20 years and selling them. Drives me buggy.

rxcory likes this.