Fisher MT 640 (Should I Buy It) Looking to Upgrade.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AcidPunk15, Apr 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I want to replace my sh**ty Sony LX-350H. I can buy a Fisher MT 640 For basically nothing. The specs are as followed. It was made in the early 80s. I am buying this online.

Motor: DC Servo
    Drive System: Direct Drive
    Wow and Fluter: 0.035
    Speed Variation: +- .5%
    Speed Control: +- 3%
    Tracking Force Range: 0.6g- 3.5g
    Calibrated Counterweight
    Has an Anti Stake
    Platter Diameter:
    Plater Weight 2LB
    Has Strobe Light
    13LB

Has anyone had or currently owns a Fisher TT. I am assuming parts might be a little harder to find, but I believe can I fix my TT if there is a problem with dexoit, properly oiling....

2. Rad Dudeski

Rad Dudeski Forum Resident

Stay away.... I have one. I think I got it around 1988, give or take a few years (been awhile). I have fixed it more times then its worth. It is broken and sitting on the shelf currently. Mine has a speed issue (worked on it for a week and finally gave up) Its a nice and heavy table. I believe Sanyo manufactured Fisher's turntables (done quote me). When mine was working, I had a Shure with Microridge mounted on it, sounded ok, had a bit of a rumble issue sometimes. If had to buy another TT it'd be a Technics or a Pioneer. My current TT is a Technics SL-QD35, its not the best but it gets the job done pretty well.

AcidPunk15 likes this.
  3. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Yeah, that's a Sanyo. This model was not as good as Technics or Pioneer with the same functions. This does not have quartz lock, it is full auto, and has a repeat switch to play the same record over and over. This one has -70 db rumble spec while Technics and Pioneer direct drive models had -75 and -78 rumble, much better and you can hear that difference compared to -70, and they had 0.025% w&f, better but not really an audible difference. I do not mean to always rule out all Sanyo or Fisher turntables, some were pretty good.

And even this model beats a lot of new belt drive models under $250 or so from new small companies.

If it is fully working, it will be a good step better than your Sony. If you get it for "basically nothing", if it is fully working, get it. If it is not fully working right now, skip it as a user table but it might be useful for record cleaning, but so will your Sony when you step up. Forget Sanyo/Fisher parts, you'd never find any easily, but a direct drive should never need parts if all the parts are there now.

It came with a Sanyo MG-41 cartridge and you should budget $10-15 to get a new stylus for it right away. But that is actually an obsolete AT cart and actually a bit below the AT3600 that is on your Sony. But this Fisher can use any cart, so you'd probably want a better cart too, and you will be jumping aboard the upgraditis ride.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    AcidPunk15 and Shawn like this.
  4. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Find a JVC-QL5 or QL-A5 TT. These TT are very good and inexpensive.

AcidPunk15 likes this.
  5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

No. DC motor which has a tendency to fail occasionally and unobtainable servo IC. Not very well built, plasticky, decent tonearm. Hold out for an AC motor belt drive CEC Japan built Fisher 1970's belt drive or a DD CEC Japan built model from up to the early 1980's.

6. AcidPunk15

If I can find a cheap JVC-QL5 I will definitely buy it are parts hard to come by.

7. AcidPunk15

Any other recommendations of TT like the JVC-QL5

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.