Fisher X-202-b....comments?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by audio, Aug 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

A friend of mine is trying to sell me a Fisher X-202-b. Of course, I'm already knee deep in this Harman Kardon A500 restoration, but if the Fisher is a better amp, I may have to grab it. It's 40 wpc as opposed to the 25 wpc HK. Is the Fisher tube rectified or solid state? How is the bass of these Fisher units? Flabby and tubby or reasonably tight? I know that one of the cons of the Fisher is that the output tubes are so expensive, but my NOS 7355s for the A500 weren't cheap either. The Fisher is larger with bigger transformers and more power. Is it something to consider that this amp will be much hotter than the smaller A500 which is a concern during the summer heat or will these amps likely have similar operating temperatures? Most importantly, how do the Fishers sound? Are they reasonably reliable? How often would I need to change the tubes? Help! Advice!

2. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

I suggest that you search on Yahoo or Google for information on Fisher tube amps. There is a lot of information out on the web; you just need to search for it. When I was looking for information on my Scott 299 amplifier, I searched on Yahoo, and found more links with information than I would have ever expected. The information is out there, you just need to search for it.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

3. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I own a Fisher X-100B.
    I can't remember how close the 202 is to mine but most Fisher amps from that era share many of the same sonic characteristics.
    What output tubes does the 202 use? Mine uses the elusive 7868's and they're a serious pain in the butt to find these days.
    As for sound, I can tell you that my Fisher has the "breath of life" in spades. A midrange to die for, clear highs and reasonably accurate bass. Well, the bass is there and whatever problems it has compared to modern amps, it NEVER bothered me or got in the way of the music. It's simply a beautiful sounding amp.

Sigh, it's out of service for now. It started blowing tubes so I set it aside and hope to send it to "busybee" when my financial world settles down. I really miss it. :sigh:

I highly suggest that you check out the vintage room at www.audioasylum.com. Do some searches. I was able to get amazing amounts of info and tips when I was buying my Fisher a couple of years ago. Post a question and you should get some good responses.

Dan C

4. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Here's a photo of a minty fresh x-202B I found at the Fisher Doctor's web site.
    WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR! BUY THIS AMP!!!!!!:thumbsup: :D

Dan C

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.