Flaming Lips Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Feb 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Almost forgot... my interview with Michael Ivins will appear in the next issue of Tape Op (next month, I believe). Finally, a year after the interview took place!

2. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Double that recommendation. Fantastic shows.

3. Nebin

Nebin New Member

YBTPR is a great cd to listen to thru a full range system (mine is the Phase Linear Andromeda III Panels with the Sub bass Module) and when I engage my Carver C7 Hologram Generator the background human voices and the robot voicings really make you look around in the room for the cyborgs. Plus I'm taking lots of vitamins, cause I gotta be strong to fight them. But seriously the first five songs of the cd are great and the rest in my humbe opinion is weak material. Unit 3000 21 (track 2) is warming...what a cool song!!!

4. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Please pardon my ignorance, but what is a "Carver C7 Hologram Generator "?

5. Nebin

Nebin New Member

Carver C7 Sonic hologram generator

The Carver C7 took the left end right channels sum and differences and allowed the user to get some pretty cool sound stages with the right source material. Usually music recorded out of phase with the C7 will give exagerated (huge) sound fields to the left and right of the speakers.
    Not exactly audiophile sonics but indeed enjoyable listening all the same.
    The caveats being a very limited sweet spot and much time and effort in correct speaker placement.
    I really like the song Buggin' on the cd Soft Bulletin!!!

6. Matt

Matt New Member

Well, you may have heard, but Cat Stevens finally got word of it. He sued, and the Lips now settled out of court, agreeing to give 75% of the royalties to that song to Cat Stevens.

Wayne Coyne basically 'fessed up,' admitting there is a resemblance and that they should have cleared it with Cat's people first; had he done that, it probably would have been a 50/50 split. Supposedly, when they did record it the first time, the band thought that is also sounded like that Cat Stevens song (I forgot the name), and I think they tried changing it a bit, but apparently to no avail.

7. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

:realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad:

Cat Stevens does not deserve a 75% royalty on the song "Fight Test". Yeah some of the melody for a few seconds of the song is simillar, but 75%?

What a crock!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.