Flash Gordon (1980)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RK2249, Aug 17, 2017.

1. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Aw, c'mon... really? I love Flash Gordon; it's big, loud, gawdy, garish, and more importantly FUN, done with a knowing wink and nod and hope you enjoyed the show, folks. I see a lot of similarity between the reception it got back in the day/still does today with the reaction to Luc Besson's The Fifth Element and the recent Valerian - of which I loved both, it isn't Shakespeare, people, and not meant to be either! - maybe the overall humor and style is too European for many U.S. audiences, I don't know...

Interestingly, Flash Gordon director Mike Hodges said they didn't have a finished script when filming started and that movie was probably the most expensive improvised movie in history... whatever they did, it worked, it's a great - and very funny - movie from start to finish, and with incredible production design too. And personally speaking, the visual effects at the very least not only had more weight and substance to them than most CGI these days, but also suit the deliberately OTT comic-book nature.

Plus, Ornella Muti... 'nuff said (ahem).

Platterpus, hi_watt, Shawn and 3 others like this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No, it's just too stupid for me.

3. ggg71

ggg71 Forum Resident

Total classic. They should do a MST3K to it.

MikaelaArsenault and RK2249 like this.
  4. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I saw it in the theater as a kid when it came out with my "big brother" from the Big Brothers and Big Sisters program. I've loved it ever since. Great colors in that film. Great music.

hi_watt, MikaelaArsenault and RK2249 like this.
  5. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Like others have said, saw it at the movie and loved it, went out and bought the soundtrack ASAP afterwards. Loved the campiness and the use of primary colors. A visual and aural feast that captured the feel of the flash Gordon serials I used to watch as a wee, wee, lad way back in the day.

hi_watt and RK2249 like this.
  6. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

Saw it when first released, loved it then, bought it twice again on DVD and Blu ray, put my 9 year old onto it and enjoyed that, as did he. I still find it very entertaining.

RK2249 and MikeInFla like this.
  7. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident Thread Starter

8. RK2249

9. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

This scene, where Aura is trying to seduce him while he is communicating telepathically with Dale..."Jeez this girl is really turning me on!" "Umm, I didn't quite get that."

[​IMG]

10. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Got the Bluray and watched with my wife last night who kept shaking her head at its stupidity.

Yes, it's cheesy, silly and stupid, but also a fun movie to watch. The script by Lorenzo Semple, Jr. harkens back to his work on the the 1960's Batman TV series. It's a perfect movie to watch on a rainy night.

11. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

I often enjoy some campiness in a film, but this does not apply with Flash Gordon, which I find to be almost unwatchable. The only redemption for me is the acting of Max von Sydow. While not his best work, it is far above the rest of the production.

12. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

In retrospect, 80-81 was a great time to be 8 or 9 going to the movies. In the space of a year, we had Empire Strikes Back, Flash Gordon, Clash of the Titans, and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

13. RK2249

Yeah, my wife has pretty much the same reaction. I don't care though...it's tons of fun. :-popcorn:

hi_watt likes this.
  14. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

It shouldn't work. It really shouldn't. I would see bits on cable as a kid and go what in the world is this??

The director of Get Carter, great actors, opposite tone...and yet it somehow works. I think because it really has a sense of heart.

I wish the BD was better as it has quite a bit of noise reduction and the sound remix doesn't hold a candle to the LD. I found the LD locally for nothing which made me give the film a second chance which I'm quite glad for. Nice transfer and great sound.

RK2249 likes this.
  15. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Around 1992 I was working part time at a top 40 radio station in Knoxville, TN. I used to use this music as bumper music, or music to talk over (starting at about 17 seconds) and i looped it to make it longer and edited out the talking.

I had someone call me and mention "Hey, you are using Flash Gordon music that's cool!". Someone else called and asked me what it was. They heard it before and couldn't figure out where it was from so I told them the Flash soundtrack. Good memory.

captainsolo and RK2249 like this.
  16. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

Worse than "Cars"?

17. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

One of the first movies I saw in the theater, along with POPEYE. Probably closer to age 5 (sometime in 1981) but I remember seeing it.

I actually think I saw FLASH GORDON before I saw STAR WARS. Definitely have a sentimental feeling towards it.

hi_watt and RK2249 like this.
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

On a par with Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, another movie from this era I can't watch.

19. RK2249

20. ronton99

ronton99 Forum Resident

I know that this movie is slight, trite, campy and trashy.
    I was in my 20s when I saw it and I loved it.
    Loved it so much that, after my first viewing with a likewise highly entertained moviegoer friend who "got it", we invited a bunch of people to see it for a birthday celebration, thinking that they would love it also.
    They did not "get it" and it was a complete thud of a birthday party excursion.
    So, I ended up with one like-minded life-long friend out of that bunch.

But I am betting that all future John Waters fans "got it".
    I could easily double feature it with "Female Trouble" and call it a great movie night.
    Add "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" to put the evening over the top.

A favorite moment:
    Flash rushes in to rescue Dale who is prepared for her wedding to Ming.
    "Gosh, Dale, you look great!"
    She replies, "It's the make up".

Steve Litos, hi_watt and RK2249 like this.
  21. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Re-opened per request.

- Kevin

Quadboy likes this.
  22. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

MikeInFla likes this.
  23. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Chris Hemsworth [with beard] as the new Vultan?

MikeInFla likes this.
  24. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

There was a series on Sci-fi channel a few years ago. Was terrible and I don't even think it finished the season. They introduced Sam Jones in the series and his character disappeared faster than the series.

Quadboy likes this.
  25. clashcityrocker

clashcityrocker Forum Resident

Just started watching this podcast, Russo Bros. Pizza Film School, Joe Russo and Taika Waititi dive into the 80s superhero movie, the savior of the universe, FLASH GORDON