Fleetwood Mac 2018 Reunion/Farewell Tour...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jmpatrick, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

We've already covered this - Nicks plays the guitar and piano as well. I thought Slick was quite beautiful, but not in the same class as Nicks, who I think was one of the great beauties of the decade and could hold her own against any of the '70s female Hollywood superstars.

For someone who snorted a metric ton of coke she also aged incredibly well. I've got a friend who posted a photo taken of him with Nicks back in the '90s or early 2000's, not long after she cleaned up her act, and she looks about 25. Maybe I shoulda done more coke in my youth...

2. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

But her voice was shot by the third album. Her rendition of "Silent Night" is laughably horrendous.

snowman872 and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Didn't think you were for a minute :righton: My own parents complained a few months back about 'some woman on the telly making an awful racket, and she wasn't young either!'. Said woman was Christine McVie and the racket was Songbird. Safe to say I was having none of it. I can only imagine some of the stick that might be directed at Stevie, voice and stage presence alike.

Hep Alien and GodShifter like this.
  4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Given the choice in looks (since it’s gone there):

Nicks > Slick

5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I haven’t listened to her records in decades. But when Stevie was at her peak in the Tusk/Bella Donna era, she was writing great songs - I think that with “Sara”, “Angel”, “Sisters of the Moon”, and those gorgeous swirling ballads “Storms” and “Beautiful Child”, her contributions to Tusk might be the strongest. And Bella Donna is really quite strong.

Her voice was never the most stable instrument and she doesn’t sound too good these days. But, her singing voice was instantly identifiable, and it struck a chord with the public back then. Remember “Whenever I Call you friend” by Kenny Loggins, “Gold” by John Stewart, “Magnet and Steel” by Walter Egan, or her four terrific tracks with Tom Petty (“Stop Dragging My Heart Around”, “The Insider”, “I Will Run to You” and “Needles and Pins”)?

Met her in 1981 when she was staying at the then-Kahala Hilton in Hawaii. She signed Bella Donna for me. She was beautiful.

6. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

She was everywhere between '78 and '84 or thereabouts and yeah, her contributions to Tusk provided the more-conventional but not too-conventional drama that record sorely needed. I adore Tusk, but if it had whipsawed between Buckingham's wild experiments and McVie's tame Carole King-isms it would have been a dud. Nicks and her contributions from Narnia or wherever added a third factor to the mix and take the record from clunky to bizarrely awesome. And "Sara" is arguably the best thing Fleetwood Mac ever recorded, just a stunning, stunning track. The sound of it is incredible - one of those cuts you want to crawl inside of and never leave.

7. JRad

JRad Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip and info, becca. RE Christine, I enjoye her solo 80s singles. The latest album with Buckingham is also on my to-do list.

Lewisboogie and beccabear67 like this.
  8. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I agree totally with this statement and have said before and probably on this thread, Tusk was Stevie's best album.

9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

She doesn't sound very good these days, but back in 1979, she was a great vocalist and an even better performer. The entire band is so great on this clip of "Angel" - I wonder if people have seen this.

10. WalkAThinLine

WalkAThinLine Forum Resident

Fans have asked Mick repeatedly at various meet & greets about Peter playing with them. Mick has said that he's tried that several times, but that he gave up at this point, because they can never reliably know what Peter's state will be and whether he will get sick or suddenly change his mind once when everything is set, booked, and ready to go.

Mick seemed genuinely sad about that, had a feeling that he himself would want that to happen more than anyone else. So no it's not gonna happen, no reason to delude ourselves.

11. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

One problem besides, or related to, Green's health is diverging attitudes. Everything has to be big time, moneymaking, with Mick. For someone who should know Peter better than most people Mick has been apparently heavyhanded in his approaches. Alas, it will never happen and perhaps it's best hat way.

12. WalkAThinLine

i never understood how can someone consider Nicks a rock act, and in the same breath say that somebody like Tina is not. the women you are discussing are more rock that Nicks ever was. yes, Nicks always wanted to be a rock act and somehow succeeded in being called a rock queen, but again, she is way more pop or adult contemporary than rock. how is Dreams a rock song??

13. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I agree with you 100% that Tina was absolutely a rock act. Anyone who says otherwise is probably largely unfamiliar with most of the first decade of her career, or at least has forgotten seeing her do "Proud Mary" or warm up for the Stones. That said, having seen Fleetwood Mac on both the Rumours and Tusk tours, I can say that Nicks was a rock star. "Gold Dust Woman" and "Sisters of the Moon" were smoking rock tracks, and she was great, incendiary. Take a look at the video I posted earlier in the thread from around the 5:00 mark. And, the bass and drums tell me that "Dreams" is a rock song. Besides, rock and roll is a broad spectrum - "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow" is as much rock and roll as "Boys."

14. WalkAThinLine

thank you - exactly!

agree with you on GDW and SOTM. they are probably my favorite Nicks songs, and definitely rockers. if you listen to her demos however, left to her own devices many of her songs tended to start as melancholy folksy ballads, and were converted into pop or rock songs once when others in either the Mac or solo collaborators got their hands on them. her demo that became a part of the Chain is a great example of that.

and, she was definitely captivating when young, gorgeous and high! i also want to second people talking about how much her looks played into her immense popularity rise. once her looks waned and drugs started to interfere instead of enhance her performance, her popularity went downhill fast. she managed to recapture very different audiences once she cleaned up and is having a resurgence as a legend and a survivor now.

15. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Your read might not be right. During down time from Fleetwood Mac, Mick is constantly active on projects that are definitely not big time, and probably don’t make much money. He’s got his blues band and he plays often at his restaurant in Lahaina. In fact, when he was helping Christina overcome her aerophobia, he took her from London to Maui, and her big “comeback” (long before any plans of a reunion tour) was at a civic center in Maui, if I recall correctly.

16. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

"Rhiannon", as well. Especially live in the 70s.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  17. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yes, but I was talking about his business dealings with Peter Green. Mick does what he can to earn some bread when he band is not active. Wine, books...

18. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I think I understand. Maybe they could just bring Peter on for one or two numbers. That would seem low risk.

19. supermd

supermd Senior Member

But no one cares about Peter Green.

20. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

She writes, records, and tours, singing her own music and I suspect it's because she is simply in a different place now, artistically.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  21. ribonucleic

ribonucleic Forum Resident

American Horror Story is its own loyal gay audience.

And just because I'm passionate on the subject: 70s Stevie was gorgeous. Along with Debbie Harry, the most physically beautiful woman in rock.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  22. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

When they played my market in 2015, they were staying at 5 different hotels.

I know someone who's tried to complete his autographed Rumours album he started in 1990. Nicks is not known as fan friendly off stage.

23. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I don’t think that’s right. There are many fans who know FM didn’t start with Stevie Nicks. Also, to those who have an interest in rock guitar, he is very highly regarded.

24. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

PG's Oh Well was done on the 2009 FM tour.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Have you ever noticed how big Debbie Harry’s head is? With a big hairstyle, she looked like a very cute bobble head doll.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.