Fleetwood Mac 2018 Reunion/Farewell Tour...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jmpatrick, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ribonucleic

ribonucleic Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I agree, but 95% of the people attending a 2018 Fleetwood Mac concert want to see and hear the band and music from 1975's Fleetwood Mac and onward.

Stormrider77, Shak Cohen, 905 and 2 others like this.
  3. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I grew up listening to Tina, long before her '80s revival. She was never a straight up rock act - there was always scads of R&B in the mix.

Could Tina rock? Yeah. Is Tina a rock act? No. She's not that limited.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Yeah, I feel like if GnR could do the same for Adler...
    But I agree that the VAST majority of the paying audience for this tour would be bored/annoyed/inthe beer line during any potential pre-BuckNicks era guitarist spot.

5. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Came here because the thread title Fleetwood Mac 2018 Reunion/Farewell Tour was interesting. Unfortunately, then I started reading the contents of this thread... some talk about Stevie Nicks cocaine abuse... segues into a comparison between Stevie Nicks looks as compared to Grace Slick's looks... who is more beautiful? The debate rages on and on and then from nowhere... a discussion of whether Tina Turner is really a rock singer... oh and Debbie Harry has a big head.

I mean really? I know I am going to get a beat down for my comments, but I sometimes wish discussion would stay a little more on target and that how an artist looks or how much drugs they take could be left to the gossip rags...

you can begin flogging me now... :hide:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  6. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

For what it’s worth, Linda Co-wrote three songs that I can think of: “Lo Siento Mi Vida", “Try Me Again” and “ Winter Light”. It’s not many, but those three songs are excellent!

Sorry to go off topic, btw!

Hep Alien and Porkpie like this.
  7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

But, but, but, ... Linda was HOT so songwriting isn’t an issue (well, for me anyways :laugh:).

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  8. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

But wouldn't touring with Lindsey be an even bigger drag for Stevie? If she dislikes him so much...she might be better off making a complete break. jmo

Matthew Tate and WalkAThinLine like this.
  9. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

She was definitely being pushed as a rock act in the mid-70s, after the Tommy movie. The Acid Queen album has nine songs, five of which are either Stones, Who or Zeppelin covers. (the others by Ike).

Also to my mind, "Nutbush City Limits" is 100% rock and roll.

10. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

GodShifter likes this.
  11. twistandshout

twistandshout Forum Resident

I think Stevie Nicks liked to collaborate with Tom Petty most of all. She wanted to join the Heartbreakers if she was asked. I think Tom Petty was a bit intimidated by Stevie Nicks in the beginning - especially when they sang the duet "Stop Dragging My Heart Around". In the youtube video Petty stares straight ahead and looked so nervous with Nicks staring at him. I don't think anyone else ever made him so nervous looking...maybe he was a bit shy around her.

Hep Alien, Matthew Tate and sunspot42 like this.
  12. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

[​IMG]

13. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

If they were a small time band touring in one van, yes, but they're superstars. They only have to see each other for three hours on stage. As opposed to all day long in the studio.

sunspot42 and WalkAThinLine like this.
  14. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

True. LOL... Separate Limos help when you don't like your bandmates. :thumbsup:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

There are certainly ways around “having to see each other in the studio all day” if that is truly the issue. Stevie might be on four or five tracks on any FM album given that both Lindsey and Christine sing as well? Nicks’ tracks could be hammered out in a week or less and she could leave after that. You make it sound like she’d have to present for the entire recording process which simply isn’t the case as she is solely a vocalist and isn’t laying down any instrumental tracks whatsoever. That being said, perhaps her aversion to Buckingham is such that she doesn’t want to even endure an hour in the same room with him if it comes to recording.

16. rjp

rjp Senior Member

which is exactly why carly simon should be in the rock hall as well.

17. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Fleetwood Mac doesn't just knock out songs in the studio in a week. My understanding was they spent months working on Stevie's tracks for Say You Will.

Matthew Tate and sunspot42 like this.
  18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Her vocal tracks could be expedited if necessary. That’s all I’m saying.

19. WalkAThinLine

WalkAThinLine Forum Resident

that's interesting observation. according to some of Tom Petty's interviews she kept following him around and wanted to join Heartbreakers and he couldn't get rid of her however much that annoyed him. even more strangely, he said he really wanted Lindsey to join Heartbreakers because he wanted another male vocalist besides himself.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. WalkAThinLine

they didn't use to but they do now apparently. or at least Lindsey, Christine, Mick and John do. i believe they were in the studio for about a month all together for Buckingham McVie.

Matthew Tate and GodShifter like this.
  21. twistandshout

I had never heard that Petty wanted Lindsey to join Heartbreakers...that's interesting. I had read that Nicks wanted to be a Heartbreaker and Petty told her there were no girls in Heartbreakers. He originally didn't know what she wanted and didn't trust her. I guess they got to be good friends later on. Nicks loved his voice when she heard his song and wanted to do a duet with him...and never left him alone. I think she was in love with him for sure.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. WalkAThinLine

right? i just googled it but original journal highlights are not available anymore (it was printed journal i guess, Men's Journal from July 19, 2014), just this is available Men's Journal Cover Feature - TomPetty.com Official Blog

and more info discussing it here including the relevant quote Lindsey in The Heartbreakers? - The Ledge

Here's the quote about Lindsey and their working together on Walls for the She's The One soundtrack:
    But at least the session produced one good anecdote, “I do remember trying to talk Lindsey into joining the band that night,” he says. “Stevie wasn’t playing with them at the time, so I said, ‘Why don’t you just join our band and get the heat off of me?’ I never wanted to be the front guy—I got that job and I’ve been stuck with it ever since.”
    btw that Walls session seem to have lasted only a day, here's what Tom said about that (quoted from multiple sites including Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers – “Walls(Circus)” ):

Tom discussed Buckingham’s backing vocals when he said, “I’m a big fan of Lindsey’s. I called him and was knocked out that he came down and helped me. He did it all in one session. I kind of sat back and watched him go. Just going, ‘Yep—that’s what I would’ve done!” [Laughs]”​

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. twistandshout

I think Tom enjoyed being the front guy - but he also said he had the most fun playing with the Wilburys where he didn't have to be "front and center" and could share the stage with all those legends....nobody was above anyone else.

24. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Mileage. I saw that one in particular as R&B.

25. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Watch the 2003 album documentary where LB feels the need to spend several minutes being the grammar police on Stevie's lyrics.

This is more than doing 20 minutes of backing vocals on each other's song.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.