Fleetwood Mac - Buckingham McVie album for 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lennonfan1, Jan 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Stevie or no Stevie... I can't wait for this, whatever they call it. (They made a great album in Tango despite her.)

Buckwood Mac. There, that's it settled.

2. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member Thread Starter

I think not using the Fleetwood Mac name takes off some of the pressure, as well as being a lure for those who don't care for Stevie, I've heard a few times 'get rid of the goat and you've got a good band'. I think it could attract a lot of classic pop rock fans that aren't interested in the diva personality bit. The other 4 members are very accomplished musicians in their own right, and I predict, right here and now, this album is going to do well. It ditches the soap opera and concentrates on the music. I'm sooo in for this.

3. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The wife and I were hashing this out last night. I 've really kept her up on LB through the years and she really likes HIS music. By his own admission, he's gone through many years of therapy (who wouldn't need that after suddenly becoming band leader and millionaire in such a short time), and I believe he feels the best way to not get sucked in to dysfunctional situations is to not even let them start, and step away. Assuming this isn't a legal necessity (very possible, I admit), I think he's just stepping away for his own peace of mind and not allowing himself to get sucked in to a situation that is fraught with dysfunction and likely to escalate. Unlike Stevie, LB now has a second real life with a spouse and kids...........he can step back from (his words) the big machine.

WalkAThinLine, BlueJay and DTK like this.
  4. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

Really looking forward to this!

WalkAThinLine likes this.
  5. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

That's a very attractive way of putting it!

I'm also certain that this isn't any sort of negative dig at Stevie Nicks from the others - there's been a few quotes from both C McVie and Stevie on how glad they are to be in the band together again. As weird as it is, I just think Stevie's not on board for another album so this is the next best thing. The only downside is that this is probably the last time we'll see any sort of new Fleetwood Mac release, so it's a shame for them not to go out on a united front.

Shak Cohen and WalkAThinLine like this.
  6. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I'm so in for this album. F Stevie Nicks for holding out on making this a Fleetwood Mac album.

hiterss, WalkAThinLine and JDeanB like this.
  7. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Musically, Nicks IMHO is the least interesting of the three songwriters anyway...

8. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yes. Stevie Nicks is the reason this big-time FM fan doesn't really like the Rumours line-up that much. She brings the soap opera aspect and the people attracted to that, and the soccer mom/dad contingent and her songs are mostly skippers. Gold Dust Woman, Silver Springs, Crystal and Rhiannon are classic though.

WalkAThinLine and lennonfan1 like this.
  9. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

Surely its just a timing thing? If theyre talking about putting this out in May, and Stevie hasnt already recorded her contribution, then theres almost no time for that to happen. Stevie is touring solo up thru early April [theres a July date in London, but the main tour finishes April 6] and then FM are supposed to be going out on a world tour later in the year. So it seems logistically theres not much time for Stevie to do anything. How much time that would take, or how it could have been organised is an open question, but I cant see them putting out a new FM album withOUT Stevie and then going on tour to support it a couple of months later WITH her!
    Its a bummer. Im sure this album will be great, but I and a lot of other people were really hoping this would be a full FM album. Even tho it will probably be great, its still sad that its not "complete".

10. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

It's definitely because Stevie refuses to participate. She has stated in interviews her complete objection to recording an album. They've been working on this for 3 years waiting for Stevie to come on board. Not to mention she had refused many times over to record with the band since their last album in 2003. It is a long and ongoing problem with her. They decided to finally move on without her.

WalkAThinLine and DTK like this.
  11. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

How about:

Fleetwood Mac, Nix Stevie

12. blueslover99

blueslover99 Forum Resident

Nicks has said that making Say You Will was a problem for her and seemed not thrilled with that experience in the Destiny Rules doc. They did make that EP with her input a few years ago, however. I would think that having McVie back making music would make artistic sense in her mind, but that just hasn't happened. This is bound to be an amazing release and I hope they tour for it!

13. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I hope it's called No Nicks or Sans Stevie.

DTK likes this.
  14. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Great song, great album.

Volt-and-Volume likes this.
  15. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I'm glad they are moving forward without Stevie on the album. If she is with them on the upcoming tour I wonder how they will handle performing any of the new songs with her.

16. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Thinking of Nicks-less albums, can we please have a vinyl reissue of 'Time'? Christine's songs on this album are all good songs and it's sad to see the album fading into obscurity. It deserves to be put back into the FM canon where it belongs.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  17. davers

davers Forum Resident

Buckingham - McVie is interesting news, but this thread really could have been the title of the OP's link on the history of the Village Recorder Studio...the LA Times story was a really fun read!

18. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

This is the dumbest scenario I've seen in years. I know some of these FM people to some degree, or people close to them... & this is like the arrogant pop head attitude of the 70s...

What I mean by that is rock doesn't rule the world anymore, sales are dismal, Stevie Nick's is just being an a$$... all the girl would need to do, hypothetically is do 2 of her songs, sing backgrounds on a couple more, that's it. She could even do a cover song or a Lindsey song.... the money is in the name,

The others are talented especially Lindsey, Stevie is lucky to be a rock star imo. You can't do FM without her, all she would have to do is 2 tracks & sign off on it. Without that 99% of the world, fanbase won't ever hear this. This is spite, there ain't no other reason. This has got to be the dumbest thing I've heard in years.

I've gotta say, until release day, don't count your chickens. I've gotta believe Dashut or Mickey, somebody's gonna talk her into it.

I'm not even a fan really, but as a teenager I couldn't escape hearing the first 2 albums daily for about 10 years, people's homes, offices, automobiles, the beach, cover bands, she'll be on the album, somebody's gonna explain the value in the catalogue of one last album with the five members.

McCool71, duggan, Purple and 2 others like this.
  19. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

And I believe this was a reason that caused Chris to quit the band. Essentially she was told if you won't record AND tour, you can't be in.

Interesting how this is a similar situation and yet the double standard.

DTK likes this.
  20. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Fascinating combination. What next? A McVie/ Fleetwood drum n bass album??? Or Fleetwood/ Nicks covering "A Quick One While He's Away" by The Who????

21. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member Thread Starter

this was a number one trending topic on Facebook today:)

22. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Just have to correct this, the first two albums featured Peter Green and not Ms. Nicks.

23. MarkN

MarkN Forum Resident

That's exactly what went through my mind when I read that post. Although, sadly, for a lot of people, Fleetwood Mac didn't exist until the self titled 1975 album when Buckingham and Nicks joined the group.

dylankicks, DTK, Purple and 2 others like this.
  24. Mark_TB

Mark_TB Forum Resident

I'm going to judge this project by what it is, rather than what it isn't. I'm genuinely excited to hear what this lineup can produce. And whether it's legally required or not, ditching the "Fleetwood Mac" moniker relieves them of unrealistic expectations and allows the new release to stand or fall on its own merits.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    willy, DTK and WalkAThinLine like this.
  25. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I haven't been following the band's present-day politics too closely; what is the deal with Nicks and her refusal to record new material?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.