Fleetwood Mac - Buckingham McVie album for 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lennonfan1, Jan 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benjamin Edge

Benjamin Edge Forum Resident

And yet they were not the first Americans involved... that honor goes to the late guitarist Bob Welch (1945-2012), who was a member of the Mac from 1971-74.

~Ben

2. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Bob helped them move to California and fight their manager for their name. The manager had put a group of unknowns out on the road as being Fleetwood Mac. So no Bob no Mac (no cheese). Nicks was a good friend to him from all I've heard, and Lindsay Buckingham.

rstamberg and Shak Cohen like this.
  3. Koabac

Koabac Self-Titled

I'm an ENORMOUS Buckingham fan - his last 25 years of solo albums have been brilliant and original and groundbreaking. He's still pushing the form and creating a unique sound like a mad scientist in a guitar laboratory. This combination is great because, it seems, at least, like Lindsey and Christine did much more collaborative work together in FM than Lindsey and Stevie ever did. Lindsey just produced her songs, whereas Lindsey and Christine really wrote together and collaborated like professionals - with outstanding results. I think this will be a very creative and original album with all the members working in harmony to bring out the best in each other. Stevie always seemed to be the one to add the sourness to the proceedings, so I'm totally cool to not have her around for the album.

That said, it would have been cool to have a classic Rumours line-up album again. Even just for curiosity's sake. I mean, they've been working on new material for years now. I'm sure there's enough stuff laying around between Lindsey and Christine, both individually and collaboratively, to create a new full FM album with the addition of a couple few new Stevie songs in a year or two.

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Can't remember if they did it at my '76 show, but I remember, very clearly, at my 2004 show, a section of the show diverting off into the ladies leaving the stage, and the boys doing their best power trio. :evil:
    Throw whichever female in there you want, and I'll buy it !

5. WalkAThinLine

WalkAThinLine Forum Resident

it's not really clear. some speculations are that she is musically dry, since she hasn't written new music since 2003 Say You Will. she did write new poetry, but new music on her solo releases was written by collaborators, or she was releasing old songs.

Fleetwood Mac has been talking about a new album since their 2009 tour. Nicks has been consistently refusing, with a myriad of different excuses. the band finally went into studio in early 2012. Nicks refused although 3 of the songs from those sessions were released on their 2013 EP. then they again went into studio in 2014 after Christine returned, with Lindsey and Christine recording and basically finishing 7 songs they wrote together. Nicks again refused. then they went back to the studio in 2016, and Nicks again refused. i guess they've had enough of wait (FINALLY!) and they decided to finish all that new music they have and put it out in a way that wouldn't disturb any contracts they have in place with Nicks (such as world tour for 2018).

6. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Slightly OT, but did that 2013 EP ever come out in hi-res? My iTunes files sound compressed.

Lewisboogie and WalkAThinLine like this.
  7. WalkAThinLine

agree with all of this.

i think they can easily release this album now in May, tour it as Buckingham McVie, tour as all 5 in 2018, and then take the rest of their new music, add couple of Nicks songs and release a Fleetwood Mac whole lineup album in a few years. but if we can learn from history, i don't see Nicks agreeing to it, unless something drastic happens to change her mind.

i am really looking forward to finally hear all this new music they've been working on so collaboratively in the recent years. i was worried that it will all just turn into endless wait and it will never see the light of the day.

Lewisboogie and Koabac like this.
  8. WalkAThinLine

nope, just itunes. maybe also amazon, but same thing.

Shak Cohen and LonesomeDayBlues like this.
  9. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

It wasn't just that she didn't want to tour, she hated flying. One of the reasons she didn't contribute to 'Say You Will' was her reluctance to get on a plane and wing it over to a US recording studio.

10. Benjamin Edge

Benjamin Edge Forum Resident

I wonder if it would have helped if she tried crossing a ferry over here (unless that makes her seasick)?

~Ben

11. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

She could at least record some vocals like she did on the 2013 E.P., right? What would be the big deal? Writer's block doesn't explain that.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  12. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

That's why it pains me that Tango In The Night and Say You Will became FM albums. I would have given anything to have seen these two become true Lindsey solo records because we all know they both started out as his before turning them over to the band in the end.

Merrick, gregorya and WalkAThinLine like this.
  13. DrAftershave

Or the 1975 self-titled album if Mick didn't agree to a package deal. :D

WalkAThinLine and jwoverho like this.
  14. DrAftershave

I'm honestly very excited for this because as much as I love Stevie, I always liked the chemistry more between Christine and Lindsey. What the key difference was that Lindsey and Stevie's chemistry is from a lover/ex-lover point of view while Lindsey and Christine's chemistry feels like a bond between two good friends. And while the lover POV was interesting and it made great art, it felt too forced at times while the friend POV always felt more warm and organic.

IpseDixit, videoman and WalkAThinLine like this.
  15. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I don't intend to put a damper on this , but Father Time is not on their side here. More realistic is that they'll do the world tour they said they would this year, and that'll be it.

No new FM album, no further tour. I genuinely believe Stevie will be done with the band by the end of next year. If they tour without her this year, she won't be back at all.

McCool71 likes this.
  16. stonesfcr

stonesfcr Forum Resident

Fleetwood Buck?

Very unlikely without Stevie and the FM name, but I'll love to see them in Glastonbury, as it was rumored a couple years ago, it would be a glorious farewell

Not exactly the same, but it feels a lot like Sabbath's final album/tour without Ward

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    WalkAThinLine likes this.
  17. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown Forum Resident

Very excited about this! As for my viewpoint, most of my musical heroes are in the age group of FM members...at this stage of the game, I am grateful to hear anything they are able to put out there and interested to hear the creativity they can offer, regardless of what direction it takes. When I keep an open mind, I am more often than not, pleasantly surprised! I just hope that when I reach their age, I am still a productive person, able to follow my passions in life, and safe from the scrutiny of others. I think Stevie Nicks, or any person for that matter, should have the privilege of living to please ourselves and not be subject to the opinions or standards of others. If breaking away to do her own thing gives her peace and satisfaction, so be it! As I said, I am very excited about the Buckingham/McVie venture and I hope they tour small, intimate venues, and who knows, maybe Mick and John will be involved behind the scenes as they have been in the past.

18. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I've read that Stevie Nicks doesn't want to make another Fleetwood Mac album because she says CDs, etc. no longer sell.

Funny she's released two solo albums herself in the last few years. Whatev, I like the idea of a Buckingham//McVie album with Mick and John helping out. A lot.

19. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I'm actually looking forward to this. Stevie is great but I tend to lean toward the albums that were recorded before she was involved.

20. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member Thread Starter

given how weak her songs were on Tango outside 7 Wonders, I feel this 4 piece lineup could be an improvement.

21. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

That would be Perfect.

22. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I think the reality is that at this point, especially after the hoopla about Christine rejoining the band, anything released under the name Fleetwood Mac that didn't involve all five band members would be received as incomplete or not quite legitimate, just as Say You Will was. That album was bombarded by comments like "it's not the same without Christine," "it's just two solo albums put together," "it's really Buckingham Nicks 2" etc. And that problem would be compounded when it's Stevie, the most recognizable face in Fleetwood Mac, who's missing. Putting it out as a duo album sidesteps that issue somewhat, although everyone is still going to know it began as the Fleetwood Mac album Stevie wouldn't participate in.

videoman likes this.
  23. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I don't disagree in principle, but Stevie is an important member of one of the biggest bands in the world, and her unwillingness to participate or contribute to a new album is rightfully going to be scrutinized.

McCool71 and sjas1962 like this.
  24. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

I would have liked a new FM release with Stevie for nostalgic reasons but it doesn't diminish my expectations of this... at all. I only pray Lindsey doesn't allow the loudness *hit to happen. aka Say You Will.

rockclassics likes this.
  25. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

In other words, "Say You Won't"... :)

rockclassics likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.