Fleetwood Mac - Buckingham McVie album for 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lennonfan1, Jan 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member Thread Starter

yeah, mastering is horrible which makes it rather unpleasant to listen to.

rockclassics likes this.
  2. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Although Fleetwood Mac has seldom taken my advice (i know, strange) I say bring back Bekka Bramblett. Lindsay needs an on stage foil and with her pipes they could do some really interesting things. Like "Oh Well" circa 2017.

3. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

I've listened to this maybe 5-8 times and owned it since it was released. I liked the songs, but can't get past the pain. Reminds me of my Vapor Trails cd.

MikaelaArsenault and lennonfan1 like this.
  4. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Will Auto-Tune be involved? :winkgrin:

5. duggan

duggan Senior Member

While they're at it maybe Christine could add some more backing vocals to the Say You Will album and the team remix and remaster that album.

6. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Mastering: Bernie Grundman

Which makes me think it was the mix?

7. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Seeds we sow has some excellent tunes too!

8. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

That would be cool. "I'm gonna play a song by the only true genius in Fleetwood Mac". Can see it...not!

9. McCool71

McCool71 Forum Resident

I agree. This upcoming album might very well be last big collaboration for these guys. Such a shame that Nicks isn't on board, if not for anything else than being able to call it a Fleetwood Mac album.

I have high hopes for the album though, but it probably won't reach lots of people that would enjoy it based on the name alone. I would be surprised if even 1 in 10 people that like FM have any real knowledge of Buckinghams solo work.

10. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Maybe the mix is partly to blame, but the brickwalling is entirely Grundman's. He has been known to hyper-compress some albums. He is probably doing what he is told.

11. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

Heroes is a very underrated record - there are a couple really awful songs (Bermuda Triangle) and a bunch of songs that are either the best of that era of Mac or fairly groundbreaking:

1. Heroes Are Hard To Find -- one of Christine's best, ever
    2. Coming Home - very experimental/Hawkwind-style blues, could have been a new direction for Mac had Lindsey not showed up
    3. Angel - a good Welch song
    4. Bermuda Triangle- the real stinker on here, brings the record to a crashing halt
    5. Come a Little Bit Closer - another gem from Christine
    -
    1. She's Changing Me - wow, this sounds like it could have been on the '75 Mac album
    2. Bad Loser - OK
    3. Silver Heels - another one that points toward the '75 sound
    4. Prove Your Love - Fantastic, another of Christine's best
    5. Born Enchanter - good idea but you can tell they were running out of gas and didn't follow through
    6. Safe Harbour - another interesting experiment

Elliottmarx, DTK and jwoverho like this.
  12. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

I think Stevie has moved on and has had it with Lindsey - you go out with a guy and shack up in the EARLY 70s, break up in '77 or so and in 2017 you still have to hang out with him? It would be easy if Lindsey was like Mick, kind of a gregarious, generous spirit - but he is the opposite and really kind of an *******. Biggest problem is he thinks he's a genius but, like Christine and Stevie, is a two-star talent (that's not an insult though it sounds like it is) that needs a band to bring out the best in him.

I was always disappointed Lindsey didn't hook up with some other musicians ala Jack White and form some other band project

McCool71 and DTK like this.
  13. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

And if I were Lindsey (and this is why he is stubborn) I'd have winged it over to England, spent a wcouple weeks with her, and come out with 4 songs and all her overdubs and been able to include her on the record.

14. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

Ugh - no
    And from what I read Bekka wasn't a bed of roses to have around the band personality wise

15. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

We also need to note that we have spent 19 years (since 1997) waiting for a Big 5 reunion - guessing its not gonna happen

16. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

1997 was 20 years ago.

17. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

I was going by actual release date

18. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Not a calm and mature presence like Stevie?

19. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

If they market this new record well, it'll sell like a new Fleetwood Mac record which, to all intents and purposes, it is. Buckingham and McVie are like Harrison and Starr teaming up for Ringo's 1973 album which, given the extra contributions of a certain Lennon and McCartney, sold almost as well as a new Beatles record which, to all intents and purposes, it was.

20. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

I hope McVie is the voice heard in the first single. That will be a welcome sound

Carserguev likes this.
  21. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I've always found Heroes to have a swampy/muddy sound on both the original LP and even more so on the CD (although mine was a German/French edition). I wonder if I should check out some newly mastered version of that album as I do like many of the songs, I've always suspected subtleties in it lost in the mix.

22. videoman

videoman Senior Member

He should let his hair grow down over his eyes.

wayneklein likes this.
  23. videoman

videoman Senior Member

If she's still officially a member of the band, they'd have to pay her a cut of the royalties from this album.

DTK likes this.
  24. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Well, it's not 1980 any longer. I don't think many people are keeping up with the "soap opera" any longer. Or that there are any classic pop fans left to attract that are chomping at the bit for a Nicksless Mac.

The album will be what it is. FM fans of Buckingham and McVie will be curious about it and buy it. 40 years on, there are no new fans left to attract.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  25. Jackstar74

Jackstar74 Forum Resident

Only if Nicks is involved

MikaelaArsenault and DTK like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.