Fleetwood Mac - Mike Campbell and Neil Finn Album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PsychedelicWheelz, Apr 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Oh, there’s way more. That’s what makes it interesting!

BadJack likes this.
  2. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Campbell seemes to be an inspiring collaborator, and Finn has written more than his share of great songs. I'd like to hear what they might pull off with John and Mick holding down the rhythm fort. Here's a cowrite with his brother Tim. It's not far removed from what FM might do:

drivingtheview and JDeanB like this.
  3. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I love Neil Finn. One of my musical favorites. I can’t really see him putting up with Stevie Nicks for very long.

JDeanB and WalkAThinLine like this.
  4. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

The other way of looking at it is that Finn seems to be the kind of guy it’s impossible to dislike and Nicks is less likely to be antagonistic towards him than she might have been Buckingham...

5. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I sort of feel bad for LB because I think, from what I've read, he was using the Mac money to finance his solo tour. As to your point about the majority of people not knowing the names of McVie and LB, I think this is called The Eagles syndrome, and has been experienced by the likes of Randy Meiser, Bernie Leadon, Don Felder and Timothy B. Schmidt. I think the syndrome is even more acute here, though. I was reading some stuff about FM on allmusic.com last night, and LB was referred to as the "mastermind" behind his era of FM, and I tend to agree. Glen Frey and Henley were clearly the masterminds behind the Eagles, but neither were ever fired.

WalkAThinLine likes this.
  6. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

It is a wonderful album.

Hey, maybe Finn can tour it solo on Fleetwood Mac's nights off.... ;)

7. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

8. While I'm genuinely interested to hear what Mike and Neil could bring to a theoretical new Fleetwood Mac album, I just don't see this happening. Both are clearly (high profile) hired guns brought in to replace Lindsey after tour scheduling negotiations failed, and Stevie has given a lengthy list of reasons why she won't commit to any further studio output. From what I've read, she doesn't feel there's enough potential for return to justify the spending of personal time, money and resources on such a career move at this stage, while playing live brings in a lot more for all involved - during a recent article, Lindsey suggested the other band members should close their eyes and get through shows just to collect the paychecks. Also, didn't Stevie once mention not wanting to participate in any more group recordings because of her reluctance to be micromanaged yet again by Lindsey? By dragging her heels for so long, she ensured that "Buckingham/McVie" went out as a glorified solo project rather than under the band name, which surely limited its audience. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Lindsey had something to say about this behind the scenes, and his ongoing silence points to additional unresolved issues. One detail that's left me intrigued is the official statement wishing Lindsey well, as that indicates an amicable parting between at least some members... Perhaps the longer term plan is to welcome Lindsey back for a genuine farewell tour once this current line-up has fulfilled its advertised dates and he's completed another solo album? Whatever the case, I'll give the two latest recruits a fair shot, if only because Mick's proved his reputation for singling out great talent over the years, even when most fans seem incapable of thinking beyond the quintet synonymous with giving us Rumours.

9. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

They did fire him though, voted him out (without Christine’s participation), so I wouldn’t say it was amicable. In the TMZ video where the guy surprised Mick at the airport and asked if it was possible for Lindsey to return, Mick would only say “It’s a new band”.

10. Fleetwood Mac wouldn't be the band we know them for today if it wasn't for Buckingham's song writing and production skills. I certainly won't be going to see them this time around. Luckily, I got to see the "Rumours" line-up on the "On With The Show" tour in 2015. I'd rather go and see a Lindsey Buckingham solo gig. :cry:

JDeanB likes this.
  11. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Bring back Peter Green. It wouldn't be a monster movie scenario, honestly.

12. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I don't get that ( I'm not disagreeing - I just don't get it). If I had half a songwriting credit on Rumors alone I'd be set for life. Presuming I lived within my means and it didn't go up my nose. Did these guys ever hear of investments?

wavethatflag likes this.
  13. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

The last album those five made where all were completely on board and capable was 'Mirage'. So why not go in a new direction. Finn is a better songwriter than Lindsey imo, probably a bit more sophisticated. Campobell is a as good a guitarist, albeit more conventional. I've done a 180 since LB was fired from "what the ?" to let's hear what FM 10.0 can do.

14. I thought the last album from the "Rumours" line-up was Tango In The Night?

15. Didn't he sell his house for $19m earlier this year? I can't imagine he's hurting for money that much...

Tango In The Night was indeed the last album from the Rumours line-up, but Stevie's contributions were added at the last minute over just a few days, while the rest of the band spent months working on their parts (including the fact this was originally going to be a solo project under Lindsey's name).

16. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I made that statement right after the news broke, since then I've read a lot of stuff that leads me to believe he is far from financially hurting.

That said, I like him as a solo artist but who knows if he makes enough money on a solo tour to make it monetarily viable. So while I don't feel bad for him, to the extent him being out of Fleetwood Mac (now Fleetwood Blech!) hurts his solo tour prospects, that sucks in my opinion.
    I read about his and his wife's mansion-flipping side business after I made that statement.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  17. Providing he's not going to simply use existing material, it would be interesting if Lindsey chooses not to discuss the circumstances behind his recent firing, but instead tells all through his new album - call it a biased sequel to Rumours, if you will.

jammincrowe likes this.
  18. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Well Mick certainly heard of bad investments, which forced him to file for bankruptcy protection sometime in the early to mid 80s IIRC.

19. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Well apparently his new album is already finished. Maybe he will revisit it.

20. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Just because Lindsey is wealthy doesn’t mean he is going to be willing to lose money on a tour. I think the idea would have been that doing a profitable Fleetwood Mac tour would offset his own tour not being profitable.

wavethatflag likes this.
  21. I had no idea Lindsey had an album in the can so soon after his last one with Christine... The guy sure is prolific, and it's a shame he wasn't allowed to offset the costs of a smaller tour by playing with the band as well.

22. drivingtheview

drivingtheview Not forever just for now

I loved this song when it was released and I somehow completely forgot about it. Pleasant surprise when I saw this! Putting this tune back in my current playlist. Thanks for posting

23. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I think it is probably a lot less acute than people here are making it out to be. I would imagine there are as many people at a Fleetwood Mac concert who can name Lindsey as there are at an Eagles concert who can name Don Henley — maybe not every single person but most who were interested enough to go. He’s not a minor background figure. When I saw the reunion tour with Christine it was clear most of the audience knew who she was.

24. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Not bad. I would like to hear Christine get in on something like this.

The songs on the last album whetted my apetite for more of her songs and vocals/harmonies.

I feel like Lindsey didn't utilize her as much (at all?) on his songs. I missed their vocal blend.

25. I think an album from this line up is too much to expect. We also have to consider the age of the members of the band and how long it would take to make the album. Nicks as I recall had made it clear she doesn't feel its worthwhile to make albums any more given how the market has shifted.

Christine is 74, John 72, Mick 70.

Mike is 68 and the youngest in the band Neil Finn is 60 in a couple of weeks.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    Shak Cohen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.