Fleetwood Mac Mirage 82 concert dvd

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by trainspotter, Sep 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trainspotter

trainspotter New Member Thread Starter

The only legit release concert vid of the Rumours Lineup. Most of the big songs are there, and having seen them "in the flesh" from about half a mile away last year, it was good to see them in their younger days on this dvd. They are much more energetic than in the recent "Live In Boston" release, but Mirage 82 doesn't show Buckingham at his manic best. I have nothing against Christine McVie at all, but after seeing the Buckingham/Nicks version of FM, this version of the band seems a bit bloated That comment will likely annoy someone, but hey, we're all individuals! :D

This was formerly available on video and it looks as though they have just copied the old vhs to dvd and left it at that! The video is grainy and dark, the sound is muddy (2.0 only). Watching this through the eyes of mediocre 80's production lends some nostalgia, but on the distance shots (and there are enough of them) you can't see a damn thing. You may as well be in row ZZ99.... it's annoying.

The extras are 6 Stevie Nicks solo film clips. I forgot she had her poodle phase. Man that hair is amazing!!! Also with grainy pic and muddy sound. Fun to see them again after all these years, especially the cameos, but I don't think it would have cost them too much to clean all this up and make it look and SOUND a little bit nicer! If they were going to put some extras on it, leave the Stevie vids for their own DVD (along with all the rest of them), and put some 70's tv performances (Midnight Special, the Rosebud performance) or the Tusk documentary as a bonus instead. I think that would have made more sense.

Maybe I expected too much, it was the early 80's after all...........
    :sigh:

2. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Anyone know if this is/will be available in the UK? Have it on vid and I LOVE Buckinghams performance throughout though it looks like some 'jazz talc' was in use.

There is a lot of Tusk tour rehearsal footage 'out there' also...to use this to flesh out the amazing Tusk doc would be a goodie.

3. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

It's one of those "Brazillian" DVDs, not a legitimate release.

4. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

I have this on Laserdisc, but it's not complete. I'm pretty sure it was shown on HBO in a 1 hour format and the Laserdisc is that one. I also have it on video (Beta Hi-Fi!) and it's got (I think) 4 extra songs.

Anyone want me to dig it up for a tracklisting?

There was also a Tusk tour video released. It contains some concert footage, but documentary sequences as well, like Stevie doing ballet. The live video that MTV used to run of "Sara" came from that one.

5. trainspotter

trainspotter New Member Thread Starter

It's from a company called Rajon, but it also has AMCOS on the back cover. I bought it in a large reputable chain store, so I don't think it's a bootleg or pirate or anything.... it would really annoy me if this came out in better format down the track though!!
    Rajon.com.au

I know this is a really negative thread and I'm sorry for that, but after I watched it yesterday I was very dissapointed, and I wonder if the new age of digital everything with great sound and picture quality on most current dvd's has left me spoilt.

6. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I have the LD as well, and haven't spun it for quite some time. Heck, it's probably rotted by now! :D

7. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

It's technically not a bootleg (Rajon may have somehow legally acquired the rights to a DVD release in Australia), but the band did not authorize or have any involvement in it, which is why the quality is so poor. Hopefully the band will go back and clean up the tapes and give it a proper DVD release eventually, along with the Tusk tour documentary and a compilation of their promo videos.

8. reechie

reechie Senior Member

They're technically legal, because of the Brazillian copyright laws, and probably some shady business practices. They certainly don't have anything like a real "master" or access to any of the original elements to do a really good DVD transfer. Most likely, they're just making these off of the old VHS masters, or even from VHS copies.

In some cases, they're nice to have for some material that probably won't ever get released on a proper DVD (I've got The Return Of Spinal Tap and Who's Better, Who's Best for example), but some of them supposedly look really bad. I've especially heard bad things about the Dylan/Tom Petty concert DVD.

9. Lynd8

Lynd8 Forum Resident

7 years later... It would still be nice to get a nice DVD of this. I'm guessing we'll get a DVD of the reunion 2014 tour - I'm wondering how many of us would prefer the Mirage '82 DVD to come out instead!

10. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Isn't this the one where Stevie's close-ups are obviously shot in a studio, or am I remembering a different one?

11. No, you're thinking of the later "Tango" tour video...

12. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

:rolleyes:Never heard that........not hard to believe though

13. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

That's the giveaway right there that is wasn't authorized.

Nicks has her own DVD comp of her music videos. Stevie also recorded a full commentary track for them mocking hair/fashion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.