Fleetwood Mac "Oh Well" Parts I & II..is there a stereo version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Beagle, Jan 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll

Really? How long is that version? The redundant one is about 9 minutes long....un-redundant would be about 8 minutes.

I hunger for a needle drop of the orig!

2. Steve E.

3. ralph

ralph Forum Resident

I don't think there are different mixes, just different edits. You would not be able to resequence the original UK LP using the current CD plus the missing songs. Do yourself a favor. Buy a UK LP. They are not hard to find. Go to eBay.uk.co. There are usually several up for sale at any given time. It will be worth your effort! There was also a cassette issued in the UK. There might even be a R2R.

4. MrPeabody

MrPeabody New Member

Thanks for the info.

I won't even ask about mono LP versions...

5. Tubeman

Tubeman New Member In Memoriam

I was wrong, it is 8:45 and it's mono. Don't even know what it came from since it is just a wav file in the system and nothing written where the text notes go. Sorry.

pablo fanques likes this.
  6. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Parts I and II are indexed as separate tracks on this CD (although they run together):

Part I: 2'21''
    Part II: 5'38''

Total: 7'59''

This is the 1998 digipack edition, mastered using Sony's SBM noise shaping process. The catalogue numbers printed on the disc label are 460704 9 and 02 460704 11 (ironically, it also has STEREO printed on the label :D). The matrix code is S0246070411-0101 12 A1. This disc is one of the rare ones in my collection that actually is encoded with CD Text (it has the logo on the disc label too).

Happy hunting......

:)

7. Steve E.

WOW!! Amazing. They finally got it right! Out of print, I reckon?

8. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Not only OOP but I've only ever seen the one I own - I don't think it can have been around for long! Unfortunately I only have the CD - the digipack went MIA years ago........oh well :D

9. Steve E.

Thank you. I took your advice. I found a somewhat scratched-up copy online and have been playing it nonstop for the last couple days.

When I do an A/B, I don't find that it sounds "better" than the CD. It's actually more muffled and less detailed, maybe because it's trashed, or maybe because each side is about 26-27 minutes long! But somehow, it certainly _feels_ better than the CD. It's a really enjoyable, trance-inducing listen. Marvelous.

With some hard work, you can more or less piece it together from CDs except for the missing last 20 seconds of "Underway" (which is pretty significant....the jam pays off in those seconds!) The original segues are hard-edits, not crossfades. But there are early fades of the final chord trails on some of the CD tracks (esp "My Dream"), so the transitions won't feel organic. And yes, the giggle which is supposed to link "My Dream" and "Like Crying" got mis-edited onto the end of "Fighting For Madge." If you follow the progression of the US song lineups, you can see how it happened. It's actually rather comical. In a sad way. Like a scrambled "15 puzzle."

I think that when they re-added the lost US songs to the US CD, they probably followed a note in a tape box saying "this song goes after this song." But since the whole song order had been changed after the songs were removed, the songs weren't really returned to their original place.

I'm convinced that the current CD is made from a several-generations removed copy of the master. sad. How do we get this fixed???????

pablo fanques likes this.
  10. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

It's possible it was mastered from a tape made for Lp cutting, rather than the actual mixdown master. But as it doesn't really sound significantly different from the vinyl(to my ears, anyway), I'm guessing this is a 'it is what it is' deal, and that there really isn't a whole lot of room for improvement. "Oh Well" will apparently always be mono only.

:ed:

11. Steve E.

I'm actually talking about the "Then Play On" UK album....a bit of a tangent, but one the whole conversation had drifted to. The original UK album is edited better, differently, and almost certainly was pressed off better generation tapes. "Underway" in its original "One Sunny Day" edit is unavailable on CD.

12. MrPeabody

MrPeabody New Member

Just got my UK copy recently and am listening to it now. It's amazing how your view of an album can change dramatically with a resequence.

I've been playing it nonstop. It sounds fantastic. I wish the CD was done from these tapes. I'm not sure I can go back to the CD.

Since this is Warners, can't Rhino be involved with remastering this in some way?

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'm surprised this didn't get more coverage. This is in fact true stereo? And the proper take? Does anybody have a sample of it they can post?

Wayne mentions a John McVie remix of part one elsewhere:

One would assume it was probably an 8-track recording, especially considering the "one man band" nature of it.

14. Tonebone

Tonebone Well-Known Member

Okay, I was intrigued by the 'stereo
    As tantalising as this sounds. It's NOT the single take. I just played the video and it seems that this was pre-recorded for the show (with, perhaps live vocals).
    It IS stereo but not the single.
    Interesting to read these posts from 2006 and see that Rhino have eventually released the Deluxe remaster in 'almost' the same sequence as suggested (without Dragonfly of course, as Peter was gone by then)

15. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

*bump*

Talking of this great single, a few friends of mine when I mentioned I would love to own the 7" made me offers for the UK original or the US one. The latter being an an 'spare' unplayed copy he's had for years. In terms of pressings, which is better sounding?

I'm leaning towards the US one as it also comes in the old orange & white border stock Warners sleeve of the late 60s early 70s.

16. BobFever

BobFever Forum Resident

Was reading this today and saw this. I have this version too, remember paying at the time $20 for it as an import. It's funny, because in the liner notes, the tracks read as 3:28 and 5:37, respectively, putting it at 9:05. It is correct though that when played back, it is 7:59, as I linked the tracks together in iTunes. It is two separate tracks though on the CD. Your are right in that I didn't see this for very long. Glad I got it!

17. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

I think they consider those who prefer the pre-Buckingham-Nicks stuff as the unwashed. :shake:

Shak Cohen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.