Fleetwood Mac Rumors, do I need to replace it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oscillation, Jan 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oscillation

Oscillation Maybe it was the doses? Thread Starter

Must I also replace my 70's pop albums as I rebuild my vinyl collection?

2. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

Replace them with what?

3. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

With the real album, which is titled Rumours. ;)

4. Oscillation

Yes with another album with the accurate title...As of now I don't even have a FLAC

5. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Forum Resident

I've only bought a few CDs. of albums I've had for a long time. But only because they were showing signs of wear.
    These are, "Kinda Blue," "Somethin' Else," "Cannonball Takes Charge," and Shelly Manne's "My Fair Lady," which I've had since my teens, when they were first released.
    I've other albums bought in the late fifties/early sixties, but all these are in better condition, not having been played as much, so there's no point. "They'll see me out."

Man at C&A likes this.
  6. Oscillation

I guess some back story, I've lost or left behind or had removed my vinyl collections over the years. I guess around 2000 was the last time when my brother "helped" clean out the basement of my parents house and happened to trash my collection in the process. My wife, about a year ago, bought me a turntable, with no nothing to play it with. Long story short I went out and bought some used speakers and a lousy amp. The second I heard that old sound of a needle dropping on an LP I went berserk, and started trying to reassemble my favorites. It has not been cheap but has been one of the most satisfying periods of my past 3 decades of life. But how far down the rabbit hole do I go? I mean what's next? Gene Autrey? Wild Cherry? Maybe so!

Man at C&A likes this.
  7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

No, just your favourites and ones with great covers if you're back into vinyl. Replacing a whole collection or trying to re-buy an old one seems very daunting and can possibly stop you finding other music you'll like.

caravan70 and mark winstanley like this.
  8. Sa likes this and

Sa likes this and Forum Resident

Depends. There are some beautifully recorded and mastered 70's originals; but sometimes you don't even know you have groove wear until you hear a nice remaster.

Edit: Oh I see you're going from nothing to something, that's a whole different piece a pizza

Man at C&A likes this.
  9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Trashed your collection?! I'd be beyond furious! It's great you're enjoying buying and listening to loads of stuff again though. That's ultimately is what this is all about. Money and the amount of records I already have are the two reasons I haven't bought a lot of my CD albums on vinyl too.

10. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yes you must replace it with Then Play On or Bare Trees. Immediately.

11. Oscillation

He was in idiot land most of his life, and said he didn't notice...which is almost certainly true as he also loved music.

Man at C&A likes this.
  12. pez

pez Forum Resident

I’d get an early U.K. if you can, but I haven’t heard any pressing of this that I don’t like. It’s such a well recorded album

caravan70 and Sa likes this and like this.
  13. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

You can still find the Pressed in Pallas 33rpm KG/SH cut for cheap in stores as I guess it was repressed with the 45rpm

14. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I had an early UK pressing, then found a still sealed original Canadian pressing in a charity shop. The Canadian one without exaggeration is vastly better, but there will have been several cuts in the UK. The one I had, on the Warners 'Burbank' label sounded a bit flat and dull. Not much sparkle to it.

15. Oscillation

This?
    Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

16. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Yes. You must. There is no try...only do.

17. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Just make yourself a high, low, and medium priority list of what you want to replace. Apply a price limit to each according to the grade you prefer. Work it over for the next 20 years! :)

mark winstanley likes this.
  18. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Only you can decide what must be done. We're just a bunch of enablers.

wrappedinsky and mark winstanley like this.
  19. Oscillation

So in other words just keep working on it til I die, ensuring I have the opportunity to listen to what's important to me before that happens? Not a bad plan, still sometimes low priorities can sneak in and become high priorities, if for no other reason than nostlgia.

stereoptic likes this.
  20. Oscillation

Sing on brother
    Play on drummer

Chemguy likes this.
  21. Oscillation

I am obviously here to be enabled :D

Chemguy and Aftermath like this.
  22. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

You have to get the Hoffman/Gray cut it blows what ever you have away at least it did my Golddisc 77 pressing

23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yes. Replace it with Genesis' "Trick of the Tail."

24. Oscillation

Can you link that on discogs? I take it that's Hoffman as in our host on these forums? That would be super interesting actually.

25. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Never a more true word spoken :biglaugh:

Aftermath likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.