SH Spotlight FLEETWOOD MAC Rumours, heard it 1000 times, still love it! Our WB 45 & 33 1/3 RPM vinyl coming now!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 25, 2007.

1. I worked in a record store when this album came out. It was huge and I heard it everyday multiple times. Maybe 1000. I couldn't listen to it for about 30 years. Now I like it again.

kronning, Zep Fan and mikeyt like this.
  2. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

A great review of both records, apparently the 33rpm gets you most of the way there.

"If the 45 RPM version hasn't been offered, we'd likely still be talking about this 33 as definitive."

http://myvinylreview.blogspot.com/2011/04/fleetwood-mac-rumours-45-rpm-180-gram.html

PostalBlowfish75 likes this.
  3. The speed on Steve's is correct.

4. Machiventa

Machiventa Forum Resident

Finally got around to grabbing the SH/KG 45rpm pressing and while it sounds absolutely fantastic I'm having a hard time noticing much difference between this and my US first pressing. Maybe it's my cart/system/speakers. I'm going to try a back to back on headphones and see how that goes.
    Plus I'm really disappointed there's a few loud pops on some parts. :realmad:

5. Not sure about the US first pressing, but Steve's has a lot less reverb than any other pressing I've heard.

Machiventa likes this.
  6. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Thanks, Billy.cwd

7. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

8. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I wrote way back when the 45rpm was first released on Record Store Day that I don't think that it betters my first US press in every way. "Second Hand News", for example, has more urgency on my original. On the other hand, the liquidity and spaciousness on "Songbird" on the 45 makes it a more emotive listen.

9. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

I remember the "buzz" about Rumors in 1977, as Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd were on tour. I just never had the time nor took the time to listen to the album, back then.

But, I have to say, that over the years, I have come to develop a great appreciation for Fleetwood Mac.

I do wish that they would release the concert video filmed in 1982 in LA during their Mirage Tour, with remastered sound, on Blu-ray.

I think that Christine McVie's "You Make Loving Fun" is, the quintessential Fleetwood Mac song.

10. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

Finally got my 'pallas' US version of the 45rpm cut of Rumours after much waiting and wrong versions sent back and forth! All I can say is wow, just wow, what a treat for cold wet monday night! Totally blown away - my US original is more 'in your face' and I can see why some people say it has more urgency, but the overall depth and completely natural sound of the 45rpm is something else!

11. AnalogJ

Yes, and that is a critical difference. it's fantastic if you can have both. The SH mastered one does present a prettier picture, but it doesn't quite rock as hard. Which one is closer to the spirit of what was intended? Which one do you enjoy listening to more?

12. JP Christian

Well on all the more 'mellow' tracks - the 45rpm is the clear winner - songbird and Oh Daddy send shivers down my spine. On a track like 'Go Your Own Way' or 'You Make Loving Fun' - the US original rocks out more, but I think overall, I definitely prefer the 45rpm - the clarity and punch - the timbre of the drums, especially when they're hit hard - I'm getting tingles just thinking how good it sounded last night - I played it through twice it's that good - and I don't normally repeat the same music in the same evening! I paid £45 for this and it was worth every single penny, can't recommend this enough - the EU set, which is lovely vinyl and equally well packaged is not worth it I'm afraid after you've heard the US version - my apologies as I know it's wrong to heavily 'slate' it but it's muddy and lifeless - I'm keeping my EU set purely to demonstrate the vast difference in sound between the EU and US.

13. AnalogJ

I agree with you about the benefits of the 45rpm for the balladic material. The richness and space add to the emotional resonance on those.

14. JP Christian

The US does have more urgency on the 'rockier' tracks, but.... and for me this is where the 45rpm wins - the US original is a tad harsh, turn up the 45rpm a little and it pretty much rocks out just as much, but with the benefit of a smoother and super, natural sound.

15. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Does anyone know if and when a re-pressing is going to take place? I'm trying to order one for a friend, but al stocks seems to have been sold out... :confused:

16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I wouldn't count on it. These types of releases rarely get re-issued.

17. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Just picked up the 45rpm Rumours today (Pallas/US Warner, not the Euro bootleg I've read about) and did a quick A/B with the DVD-A. Really shocking what a diff the stereo tracks are. The 45 LP has so much bottom end Sir Mix A Lot would be proud, with everything in the mix seemingly right where it should be. Vocals not in your face, but just right. Sounds like a band. I agree with all previous reviews, the DVD-A is thin & shrill by comparison. The 5.1 brings the EQ and bottom end much closer but still far short of the impact of the 45 LP. I still love the 5.1 mix & will continue to listen to it with big grin on my face, but if anyone visitors to my home question the ability of an LP to stand up next to a digital source, I know what I'm reaching for.

SergioRZ likes this.
  18. AnalogJ

While the 45 is richer, and the end of sides tunes benefit, my U.S. original is rhythmically quicker, rendering more of that "pace" thing. If you have a chance to pick one up and compare, you might find that "Second Hand News" has a bit more rhythmic propulsion via the original.

19. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

My dad has the original so I'll make a point to grab it for comparison. I stole (borrowed) his self titled FM but never took Rumours because I've had the DVD-A.

20. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

So it's quicker even though it's the same recording. I've never understood this description, especially when it comes to turntables, but that's another subject.

21. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Just means you like your Fleetwood Mac better with added compression and EQ. If you think that makes the music rhythmically quicker, I have a bunch of old vinyl made from EQ cutting dubs that you'd love.

22. AnalogJ

Perhaps, but there are a few places where the 33 original's seems quicker, for whatever reason. In THIS case. I feel the same about my original The Doors Strange Days vs. the 45. My "bullet" label original Giant Steps is quicker and more musically involving than the Kevin Gray Rhino reissue, both of which I own copies of.

It's not so in every case. It's simply my perception, which has been partly shaped from almost 5 decades of musical training, performing, and listening.

The 45 of Rumours is richer, has greater harmonic definition, and provides much more space for the performances. "Songbird" is a performance which is so beautiful and allows you to be in the same recording venue as Christine McVie. The 33 original is not even close in that regard. I just find my toe tapping a bit more with the 33.

23. GuyMontag21

GuyMontag21 Forum Resident

Wow, I'm so going broke buying vinyl this year...

SergioRZ and Peter Pyle like this.
  24. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

That's the reason I stopped......for the most part.

GuyMontag21 likes this.
  25. JP Christian

He's saying it's rhythmically quicker as is more forthright - not quicker in speed, well that was my interpretation anyway!

It's a trade off I have a fine sounding US 33rpm original which is more forthright on the 'rockier' tracks - but it's a bit mushy compared to the 45rpm re-issue - you can crank the 45 re-issue and get the best of both worlds - it's up there as one of the best sounding LPs I own.

thxphotog and AnalogJ like this.